IDBDR July/Aug 2015

• Administrators

Let's use this thread to plan/discuss our IDBDR trip.  After the ride we can post pics, video, etc... in a separate ride report thread.   :)

Cost is $130 for the 8 day trip and does not include food, gas, lodging, etc...  You get me as your leader to lead the group, plan, logistics, etc...  I have only charged for leading rides twice before.  I prefer doing it for free but funds are low and I still want to do this and be able to offset my cost a bit.  Besides, protocol says you should buy your ride leader lunch or dinner, so at $16.25/day that's all we're talking about really.   I have led about 150 rides as leader of the Beyond Starbucks Meetup group and have done two BDR's.  I learned a lot on how to plan a ride from Jason Houle and Mick Williamson of the AZ crew.  They won't be joining us and we won't have a chase vehicle, but we'll be fine on our own.  The AZBDR taught me the value of having a leader who can follow gps as well as the wisdom of simply planning the ride and riding the plan.  You just don't want stuff going sideways :)

You will receive an IDBDR map and sticker, as well as a Beyond Starbucks and XLADV sticker.

FYI, this group is for those who would rate their off road skills as intermediate or better.

Plan is to meet in Jarbidge, NV Monday, Jul 27 and start the next morning.  We finish on the 4th at the Canadian border.

In:

Nate J

Cyndy K

Mats R

Eric L

Rodney

Franco

Erick

John C (maybe)

• Like 1

• Administrators

IDBDR official site

You'll want to download the gps tracks if you have a gps device and like to follow along.  Start familiarizing yourself with how long it will take you to reach Jarbidge, NV (probably two days for me) and then how long to get home from there.  There is a written description of each section that goes over what you'll see each day, where to stay, get gas, etc...

I plan to probably ride some street tires to Winnemucca or something and change them there and then leave them there to do the same on the way back.  I don't care about riding worn knobbies back but prefer fresh knobbies for the start :)

• Administrators

Gear suggestions:  Whatever you typically bring when camping off the bike.

It's nice to get a hot shower and a clean set of sheets once or twice but I think what really makes the BDR series special is camping.  I will bring a small tent, camping chair, jetboil, hatchet, pad, sleeping bag, light, bug spray, tools, tubes, etc...

Clothing: KLiM Overland suit w/down vest when it's cold, cooling vest for the desert getting there and back, two poly shirts, underwear, three pair of socks, swim trunks, flip flops, hat, warm gloves, cold gloves.

I'm not much of a camp cook so hoping someone else is.  I do the boil in bags pretty well but that's about it.

• Administrators

I haven't examined each place we're staying overnight yet but count on camping at least 5 of the nights.  There are hotels here and there and the ones they have are quite small.  Some are just cabins, which is fine by me.

Nothing wrong with a hot shower every few days but camping really makes the trip special.

Camping is the only way to go, and I have a very similar kit to yours, Eric, already packed and ready to go. I'll be the guy that elects to sleep outside when/if there isn't room at the Inn :) This will be my first organized BDR - looking forward to it! I've done plenty of trail riding around Utah, but never on a pre-determined, pre-planned route. I have something to look forward to all summer now! Yay!

• Like 1

• Administrators
Camping/Hotel options by night

Night 0 Jarbidge, NV:

• Camping: Jarbidge and Jarbidge Canyon

• Hotel: Outdoor Inn

Night 1 Jarbidge to Pine:

• Camping:
    • Trinity Lakes campground further up the route past Pine

• Hotel:
    • a few in Glenns Ferry 28 miles before we get to Pine

• Hanson’s Café Motel

• Redford Motel

• Pine Lodge (208) 653-2323

• Pine Resort Motel in Pine (208) 653-2210

• Feather River Motel Saloon (208) 653-2310

Night 2 Pine to Yellow Pine

• Camping:
    • Deadwood Reservoir (four campgrounds around reservoir)

• Kirkham campground in Haven Hot Springs outside Lowman

• Yellow Pine campground

• Hotel:
    • Three small motels in Lowman

• Yellow Pine General store has a few rooms and a small b&b

Night 3 Yellow Pine to Elk City:

• Camping:  plenty of primitive camping around Burgdorf

• Hotel:
    • Cabins for rent in Burgdorf

• A few small motels in Elk City

• Elk City hotel and gift shop: (208) 842-2452

Night 4 Elk City to Darby:

• Camping:
    • Primitive camping is sparse

• Bitterroot Hide A Way RV Park 

• Hotel:
    • Budget Inn Darby (406) 821-2096

• Mountain Spirit Inn (406) 821-3405

Night 5 Darby to Pierce:

• Camping: Lochsa Lodge

• Hotel: Lochsa Lodge

Night 6 Pierce to Wallace:

• Camping:
    • Blue Cabin

• Primitive camping everywhere

• Hotel:
    • Wallace Inn (208) 752-1252

• Stardust motel (208) 752-1252

• Brooks Hotel (208) 556-1571

• Ryan Hotel (208) 753-6001

Night 7 Wallace to Clark Fork:

• Camping:

• Primitive all over

• Hotel:
    • Meriwether Inn

• Clark Fork Lodge (208) 266-1736

Night 8 Clark Fork to Canada:

• Camping:
    • Primitive along Lightning creek

• Hotel:
    • Kootenai River International Resort 

• Bunch of motels up in Creston, BC

• Administrators

I'm liking the vast amounts of primitive camping you have listed! Dig it! When are fees due by the way?

Jun 1 is fine.  I'd say just pay me there but then the point of collecting up front is to get folks committed and a certainty for how many are coming.  Thx.

Sounds fun; count me in.

Rodney?

As I'm heading back to Utah my return route will probably be different than yours. I'll probably just jump on the 95 all the way down to Boise for day 1 (damn that'll be a beautiful ride), and then buck up for the 84 freeway back S.E. to Utah (Day 2). I would think the 95 section to Boise will probably be common to those of us heading South. The alternative for me would be the 90 to Butte then the 15 South to Salt Lake City, but that's a LOT of freeway which doesn't get me overly excited. 

My other half want's to see the scenery, but isn't up for the BDR. She's been talking about meeting up at the Canadian border on the last day and riding home with me. If she does that We'll probably take the 95 to Lewiston, then the 12 over to Missoula, then the 93 down to blackfoot and home, and probably turn the return into 3 lazy days. - She'll get to see the scenery without the off-road element. 

Edited by Nate J.
  • Like 1