Suggestion on how to improve XLADV? Post 'er up!

XLADV

Question

• Administrators

Hey, like you, we put our riding pants on one leg at a time. So, we're not beyond listening to good, constructive feedback. If you have an idea on how we can improve the site, post it up!

We promise to read every suggestion and while we can't promise that every idea will be implemented, we do appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. :)

• Administrators

Greg, when I click on the forum tab at the top and then look down at the bottom of the screen once it fills in, it tells me how many and who are online.  Did you try that?

I have a user asking about the tool bar of the product review section.  I think he'd like to embed not only a picture, but a "video review" as well.  Is that possible?

• Administrators

Perhaps I just can't find it, but is there a feature that tells me who is online and that will allow me to chat with that person?

Scroll to bottom of Forum Index page and you'll see the number of user's online in the last 15 minutes and a link to see the full list. If you click the full list link, you'll see the member names, where they are at on the site and the time.

Greg, when I click on the forum tab at the top and then look down at the bottom of the screen once it fills in, it tells me how many and who are online.  Did you try that?

I have a user asking about the tool bar of the product review section.  I think he'd like to embed not only a picture, but a "video review" as well.  Is that possible?

n terms of embeding a video in a review, it's just like adding one to a post; copy/paste the URL to the video and the site will auto-embed. Or, it least it did when I tested it.

• Administrators

Question for the XLADV boffins:  Is there a way to control which images display when sharing a link from XLADV on a social media site like Facebook?  Is that something  we can control, or is it up to Facebook?  The reason I ask is that I tried sharing a link to a product review (SPOT 2) and the default image was for another product (Garmin 60 CSx).  It seems to choose the n'th image it see's or something.  Sometimes it will let me choose an image, like when I shared a ride report, but not for the product review.

Thanks

• Administrators

Question for the XLADV boffins:  Is there a way to control which images display when sharing a link from XLADV on a social media site like Facebook?  Is that something  we can control, or is it up to Facebook?  The reason I ask is that I tried sharing a link to a product review (SPOT 2) and the default image was for another product (Garmin 60 CSx).  It seems to choose the n'th image it see's or something.  Sometimes it will let me choose an image, like when I shared a ride report, but not for the product review.

Thanks

That's a question for Wilson Eric. Not sure exactly how the image pool for sharing works. In the interim, upload your own image for shares.

• Administrators

Support links for other 3rd party hosting sites.  OneDrive/skydrive, gdrive, etc..  Doesn't embed like youtube/vimeo

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6l46-EPrz_IdldzdG9kbDcweWs/view?usp=sharing

Looks like on Google drive, there is no direct file reference for the image, otherwise you could just embed it using the editor tools. So, not sure what is required to enable this in the forum software. if native, that's easy. But, it possibly could require coding.

Regardless, you can still save files to your device and upload them to your post (More Reply Options button), formatted like this...

2006-BMW-R1200GS-Adventuref.jpg

• Administrators

I know we don't want to go "tag wild" but I'm seeing there may be value in some location-specific tags.  There are some big bike adventure riding destination that are going to get a lot written about them and it seems offering tags would help better organize and refer other content.

I don't think we can come up with all of them at once, but a few come to mind:  Death Valley, Zion, Moab, TAT, Dempster Hwy, Terlingua, Pine Barrens, etc...  I'm sure people will want a place to submit those.

• Like 1

Bryan, I specifically was trying to embed a video link from onedrive.  Adding the link works, but will only show the link in post and not embed a picture of video like youtube.  It is a similar issue on other forums.  Maybe the https but the hyperlink tool does look like it supports it.

Here is an example:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A3C1CE871B466189%212468

• Administrators

Bryan, I specifically was trying to embed a video link from onedrive.  Adding the link works, but will only show the link in post and not embed a picture of video like youtube.  It is a similar issue on other forums.  Maybe the https but the hyperlink tool does look like it supports it.

Here is an example:

That helps. I'm not exactly sure what's required here, but I believe we just need to include the service in the list. So far youtube and vimeo seem to be the lion's share of the shared video content, but if it's just a matter of adding them to the list, sure. I don't believe we have any coding to allow a new provider.

• Administrators

Here is an example:

Microsoft doesn't actually allow/support directly embedding of video files from their end yet. So far they only allow embeding of folders (stupid idea on their part).

So, until MS changes it on their end the only thing you can do is post a link to the video as you did.

• Administrators

Whats up with the constant media player uploader popup?  It's gotta go!!

If you're talking about a pop up ad, then it's possible your computer has adware on it.  Adware is not a function of XLADV.

If you're talking about simply an ad on the page, try not to pay much mind to the current set of ads.  I think the intention was to show the site as it will eventually be; one that has ads.

Right now the boffins are up to their ears in other stuff but I'm told they will get around to dialing in the quality of ads that get served here by Google's AdSense.  Once that happens, you'll no longer be seeing stuff like that.

But again, there are no pop-up's here.

• Administrators

Whats up with the constant media player uploader popup?  It's gotta go!!

Sorry, but not sure what a a "media player uploader popup" is. Can I trouble you for a screen shot? Or, try Jing. it's a cool way to share your screen, either static or live and it's free:

http://www.techsmith.com/jing.html

I'd like to know more, I just don't know what you're talking about exactly.

• Administrators

Working better using explorer, working on getting Chrome to work properly.  I'm thinking the issue is on my end.  Many thanks for the quick replies.

Fair enough. Happy to help when possible none the less! The site has been thoroughly tested in all the top, more recent browsers. While there can be minor display differences between them, all should be highly functional with no significant bugs.

Of course, Eric might be right about malware. It's all over the Internet and easily picked up if you don't have good protection in place. Not sure if you're running anything, but I highly recommend Bitdefender Total Security. Not free, but it's highly effective.

Thanks for your participation on XL!

Bryan

• Administrators

Had a member ask me why the avatar size is fine like in this post you're reading, but in the review section is much smaller.   Any reason for that?

The reviews section is not native to the forum software that we use (Invision Power Board), but a custom add-on that we created. As such, it has its own template, so at the time, considering all the elements on reviews pages, that's the size that seemed to work/fit the best.

We test in many browsers, devices, and screen resolutions, so it's important to mention that any one of our "views" of the page varies between users. So, elements have to work well for a number of combinations. I'm sure that Wilson would add more technical depth to this explanation.

• Administrators

Eric thank you for inviting me to this forum and so far is have to say it's pretty badass anyways I have a question about background color, is there any way to make it maybe little darker or even black ( yes I know you guys thinking about advrider) there is actually a lot of mountain bike forums that are more into hmm "dark side" background and in my opinion is a little bit easier on eyes I don't know I figured maybe that could be changed from kind of plain white. just my .02$  

There is no setting per se that can accomplish this. We'd have to design and implement a skin that is built around a dark background. I can't say that this is currently on our to do list.  We're pretty much in bug fix mode as we're working on preparing to be compliant w/ a major software version upgrade for the software that powers the forum (Invision Power Board).

So, not to say that the answer is no, but at least for the short run, we'll not be working on it. Once we get through this upgrade, we can refocus back to improvements in the area of site design and feature enhancements.

Thanks for your suggestion and welcome!