Suggestion on how to improve XLADV? Post 'er up!

XLADV

Question

• Administrators

Hey, like you, we put our riding pants on one leg at a time. So, we're not beyond listening to good, constructive feedback. If you have an idea on how we can improve the site, post it up!

We promise to read every suggestion and while we can't promise that every idea will be implemented, we do appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. :)

One way I see the forum could grow would be to put in a section for the little/other bikes.  Some forums for riders who do it, well being CC challenged maybe.

With some of the new 500cc bikes they build are basically a beginner ADV bike for many riders, then others ride across and around the world on tiny bikes.  It would be a good fit IMO.   There is a woman doing it right now on a CRF250L.  I think she hits the USA this spring.

Just because a rider is CC challenged doesn't mean they haven't experienced what adventure riding is all about.  It just takes them longer...

It would also be a good place for members to discuss their other bikes and riding interests. 

Just a thought....

:blink:

• Administrators

The add modifications feature for your bike in the garage section is a pain, I finally just started listing everything as a custom feature so I wouldn't have to fill out everything and that still takes to long, maybe just allow us to list what we have done, would be a a lot easier, my .02

The custom option is meant for exactly what you described, quickly adding what you want.

The default long method is so we can build out the database of modifications for future users. Once you add a tire to the system the first time, that tire is there for everyone to use on their bike that comes along after you. With the site being so new, there is a lot that isn't in our system yet. As more people add modifications, that process will get faster and easier over time.

I just got approved to be a member on this site and I am already completely disatisfied with the way the site works. The current trend toward site building is to use these huge banner pictures and headers that appear on every page load. Requireing a scroll on every page load. This design is fine when sub-pages are coupled with a minimal top banner that doesn't take up half your screen but in this form it is an extreme annoyance.

Before you chide me for being new and making waves, you should know that I am responsible for site selection for my business and others that I've worked for. My business is IT and I am keenly aware and in touch with my customers.

You're building your brand on the existance of this site and how it works is essential to customers wanting to come back. Trust me when I say that you can do it better.

• Like 1

Ok so I'm trying to add a review, but it keeps telling me I havent added the retail price, I typed it in, copied and pasted it in, clicked on the words retail price then added it, I keep getting the same answer, its the tusk truing stand, the review should be saved somewhere, the retail price if its not showing up is $69.99 thanks and is there an easy way to pull up something you've saved, the way I do it, go through the steps to write another one then it tells you you have something saved, is not hard but there should be an easier way, like in my content or something, thanks

• Administrators

Ok so I'm trying to add a review, but it keeps telling me I havent added the retail price, I typed it in, copied and pasted it in, clicked on the words retail price then added it, I keep getting the same answer, its the tusk truing stand, the review should be saved somewhere, the retail price if its not showing up is $69.99 thanks and is there an easy way to pull up something you've saved, the way I do it, go through the steps to write another one then it tells you you have something saved, is not hard but there should be an easier way, like in my content or something, thanks

Hmmmm. Wasn't able to replicate the issue. I added the product without issue:

https://xladv.com/reviews/product/766-tusk-motorcycle-wheel-balancing-and-truing-stand/

I would suggest adding some sort of 'verified buyer' (amazon) or check box to let members know if the person reviewing products was compensated or provide gear for free.  Just something that would alert members to the fact so they can weigh review approriately.  There is a pretty good difference for reviews for someone who gets something for free or heavy discount vs someone who spends their own money.     

• Administrators

I would suggest adding some sort of 'verified buyer' (amazon) or check box to let members know if the person reviewing products was compensated or provide gear for free.  Just something that would alert members to the fact so they can weigh review approriately.  There is a pretty good difference for reviews for someone who gets something for free or heavy discount vs someone who spends their own money.     

Since we are not selling them (the general membership) the products such as amazon, no way to verify how they procured the product one way/another. But, if someone had no community activity/interaction, a number of reviews for products from the same mfr, that plus your/our gut, we'd likely be able to tell if someone was up to no good. Honestly, just not seen anything like that. But it should go w/o saying, anything you read on the Interwebz should be compared with other reviews from different sources, where the sum total is likely about where the truth lays.

If you see a badge next to someone's user name that reads "Contributor" these are riders that we're personally invited to conduct reviews for XLADV.com, where in fact, they may be getting the product at no charge in exchange for their thoughts. However, we do not dance for any manufacturers. We don't look to hurt anyone nor do we look to protect anyone. We do our best to call it like we see it. So, as far as we're concerned, there isn't that much spread between  someone who spent the money and an XLADV contributor. Editorial integrity will never be ditched to cover up for a shitty free product. No, thanks.  👍

Take a look at Eric Hall's last review on a tire pump. I'm sure the mfr isn't too happy/pappy with him. He told it like it is and it's not flattering. But, for the most part, products these days are pretty damn good overall. I've written plenty of reviews over the years and only a few products didn't measure up. The vast majority did pretty much what the mfr claimed or within a very acceptable range thereof.

We hear what you are saying and it's a good idea, but impossible for member contributed reviews and assume that any "contributor" reviews did get the product either free or at a deep discount, even if they can and do review stuff they personally pay for.

Thanks for the quick & detailed reply. Of course all reviews/online info needs to be weighed and taken with a grain of salt. This would just be a helpful up front disclaimer/notification to help in that process. I am not suggesting anything more that someone who spends a good amount of money on something may be a little more demanding of that product/service/etc than someone who didn't.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I'm told we are going to roll out a new feature for reviews: comments.  I'm sure that will make the reviews more valuable to the reader.

I was looking at Google Analytics recently and saw that quite a few of our reviews come up in search engines.  That's encouraging to see.

• Administrators

I have searched around a bit and cannot locate a tally on how many members this site has to date. I know it isn't huge but we are "XL" ! How about a suggestion to have a counter located somewhere to see how we are growing?

Thx,

RPM

If you go to the Forums tab and scroll all the way to the bottom, you should see this:

Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 9.22.08 AM.png

So it says (now) we have 1497 members.  I can see by our Google Analytics that we have many more people online than are registered.  This says 40 are online but only two are registered.

Our growth vs year ago for the latest month is 195% thanks to riders like yourself who choose to discuss big bike things here and make it your community.  For that I'm very thankful ;)

You can also type xladv.com/members and see everyone by name or last login.  We used to have that at the top but got rid of it for some reason.

• Like 1

Hmm I don't seem to get that. I just see the:

"1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users", part. I will play with it.

If there is any help required with a "Canadian Connection" for the site, I will try to do my part at a bike show or what ever event I can attend. I work in Vancouver B.C. and live in

T-Bay Ontario, so I do get around a bit!

Thanks,

RPM (Yes, some people call me that! They are my initials.)

• Like 2

Actually it's more of a suggestion to improve XLAdv...

How about more contrast or color on the forum? It would help to separate topics, pics, posts, whatever.... Im sure I would spend more time navigating this site if it was more "eye" friendly. Thank you for your time.

image.png