XLADV Project Bike

• Administrators

I've had a few ideas about doing an XLADV project bike.  It's basically a bike we'd put together with various aftermarket accessories showcasing some of the best products currently out there.  We would then bring this bike to various regional events and let our members and larger riding community get a closer look; perhaps start some interesting conversations.

I'm not really sure what that would look like at this point so I thought I'd ask our members what they think.

If we were to do a project bike build, what type of bike would it be and what would you want added to it?

• Like 1

• Administrators

One of my ideas was the KTM 1290 Super Adventure.  It's really pissed me off to no end that I've yet to see a SINGLE dirt review of this bike yet.  It's as if they're content to just let it remain a Starbucks bike!

10464147_451670554995371_593004354546190

Sure it has 19"/17" wheels but so does the GS/GSA.  Sure it's a bit heavier than the 1190 but so what?  I bet it's perfectly capable of riding off road and all it needs is a set of knobby tires, a skid plate and that's about it.  It might be fun to put some Konflict Suspension, Woody's wheels , a steering damper, some racks and soft luggage, etc...

Another idea was one shared by Christian Parker of Rottweiler Performance and that is to put an 1190 motor in a 990!  How cool would that be?!!!

Obviously we first need to find a donor bike.  I'm hoping we can get one straight from the mfg but we may have better luck through a dealer.

Thoughts?

• Administrators

I'm still a KTM fan. I just had such a hard time finding a 950/990! I missed the perfect one by an hour. Not that I don't like the Triumph, I just still have Orange blood.

For a project bike, I'm in favor of building a bike that enables a good chunk of riders to be able to replicate in some capacity. What I'd like to avoid is taking an expensive bike to begin with and bolting on as many farkles as the mfrs are willing to donate. I don't want to see us create a show piece, where the awe is the silly expensive cost to build.

The bike should be something that someone with average means can attain and it should be something that enables them to ride pretty much wherever (w/in reason) with lots of comfort, performance, an reliability.

Me personally, I think some are turned off by builds that only the fairly well to do can attain. Thoughts?

• Like 1

KTM is up to 1290cc.....wow.  How a about a Goldwing :)

As showcase bike...the 1200s are always more visually impressive....plus you can haul a display booth on the back :)

My preference would be an 800 to ride and try out....but 1200s alway make better eye candy for accessories IMHO.

• Like 1

• Administrators

This bike was cool but got a lot of complaints Bryan mentioned for being completely unrealistic and out of reach for most anyone.

You could go cheap and do a DR650 or KLR but while most still consider those bigger bikes, they don't really seem "XL" to me.  "L" maybe.

I'd like to do a 950/990 but would rather have a bike that is still being made.

I'd love that Honda Africa Twin/CRF1000 coming out this fall.

I bet ICON would loan us one of their Tigers! ;)

• Like 1

After much consideration and reflection, including meetings with my spiritual adviser, I will happily take one for the team and offer up my Triumph Tiger 800XC for the build. While it will test my strength and resolve, some things in life you just must do. :D

Like ship it to other members for a full shakedown test.  👍

• Like 1

After further consideration, I'm still voting KTM!!!

LMAO. 

But in all seriousness, KTM!

But wait, really, your only gonna get an answer from each person that's equivalent to his or her own bike in one variation or another. I think the only true way to get an answer is to pick 3 or 4 bikes that you want, maybe that could be sponsored and/or has for an acceptable price, and put up a ballot. If of course this is a Democracy. If not pick your poison! We'll all agree and support whatever decision you make!

Let the fun begin!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...