2nd Annual Troy Meadows Lost for a Reason ride

• Administrators

Last year we had this ride scheduled and then Franco Testa approached me and said he'd like to provide two dinners and two breakfasts and then charge a fee for that we could donate to Lost for a Reason (lostforareason.org). 

Well, gourmet food was all it took to get people coming out of the woodwork.  I think we had maybe 5 people going and then BAM!  30 ish people showed up!

We had AMAZING gourmet meals of lamb, tri tip, etc...  It was absolutely amazing.

And if you've never hung around 5 or so Italian guys busting on each other all day well then you're in for a treat.

This is the OFFICIAL ride planning thread so chime in if you're going.

$45 is the official price.  Menu will be posted shortly.  Gonna be great food!

July 24-26.  Fish Creek overflow campground.

• Like 1

• Administrators

eric,  been wanting to ride that area for some time.   now is the time.   what can i bring?

I will put you in touch w/ Franco.  We will need some volunteers this year too.  I know you're good w/bringing wood so that's always a winner.

I found this cool wood lot on Irvine Center Drive down in the Spectrum called Wood Hill wood yard or something.  Really good stuff.  Filled my trunk for $20.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

This info came from thumper talk by guys who recently went up there. Hopefully you are right. Camping on paved spots in the forest sucks.

I called back a second time and sure enough, they say Troy Overflow is CLOSED.  Kind of frustrating not to get good info the first time I called.

I asked them what other areas are suitable for our group and they suggested Fish Creek overflow or Bonita Meadow.  Fish Creek has the water and bathrooms right across the street whereas Bonita Meadow doesn't, so we'll opt for Fish Creek Overflow.  Keep in mind, this is the OVERFLOW area on the south side of the road, not the traditional campground on the north side of the road.  For those coming up the east side of the mountain, it's just before Troy Meadow campground so it's easy to find, just watch for the signs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am looking for volunteers to prep the Breakfast for Saturday and Sunday. I will bring the Eggs and bacon, bread, & rolls. I am also looking for volunteers to help me with serving dinner and clean up.

This will be as fun as it was last yr.

Unfortunately, Stefano cannot join us this year due to his new restaurant opening.

The menu is:

Friday dinner: Homemade Pasta al forno and salad

Saturday dinner: Grilled Tri-tip and homemade chili

Everyone will be responsible for their own drinks

Thank you for helping

• Like 2

• Administrators

Menu update! I know many of you cannot get over how crazy-good the food was last year, so I wanted to share the menu with you for this year's event: Friday night is Pasta al Forno, Sat night is Tri Tip and Chili with some fish as an alternative. Folks will need to bring their own beverages. There is a faucet at the campground but it's near the entrance so you may want to bring water too.

• Administrators

Is there an address or specific location to meet at? This will hopefully be my first ADV ride and would love some new B advice and some more info about the trip. Thanks!

You will find sometimes that finding the event is part of the adventure! I will post gps tracks soon but I would just follow that link to Fish Creek on the forest service website or google it. I go up 395 and left on 9 Mile Canyon road just north of Pearsonville. I go up the mountain and just make my way on Sherman Pass Road until you see the sign for Fish Creek campground. We were at Troy Meadow last year which is just a bit West of Fish Creek.

• Administrators

There's this really cool invention called GPS.  You should probably check it out  (insert sarcasm).  The reason I say that is that I think I was the only one with tracks and GPS last year.  Adventure riding means at some point you will have to put your big girl panties on and learn how to use gps.  This is a great time to do that.

You can get a California base layer map from Garmin or from GPSfiledepot.com (for free).

Here's a link that shows you directions from Pearsonville to Fish Creek camp.  Once you're on this road, simply follow the signs to the campground.  It's very easy, even in the dark.

Here's a link to tracks from last year.  Just keep in mind that we're not staying at Troy Meadow this year, but Fish Creek, which is a short distance east of there.  There's a track in this file called "PearsonvilleToTroyMeadowCG" and that will also show you the way from Pearsonville to camp.  Just remember we're at FISH CREEK, not Troy Meadow this time.

I'm also attaching the file as a .gpx in case you are having difficulty figuring out the Interwebs.

Look for a green Ford pickup (that's Franco's)  You should see other vehicles and lots of big bikes :)

Kennedy Meadows BBF.gpx

• Like 1