• Administrators

Issue:

I'm unable to add a bike to my 'garage'

Link:

https://xladv.com/index.php?app=garage&module=post&section=vehicles&do=add_save

Process:

There you have it.

/Roger

With the garage, you can only add vehicles to your garage if that model/year of vehicle is in our master list. If we didn't have that limit, we'd end up with people listing their go-car, mid-life crisis mustang, and matchbox cars collections to their garages. That master list of vehicles is actually in the "Reviews" section of the website. Basically, if the vehicle doesn't have a profile in the review system, you can't add it to your garage without first creating that vehicle profile.

So...that screen you see is the same screen you would get if you went to the reviews section, and then clicked the "Add a product" button. It's basically the first step to adding a new vehicle into our master database, which in turn would allow you to add it to your garage.

My question for you:

Would it have been more clear what to do, if instead the message you got  on the search page read "Enter the name of the product or vehicle you want to add."

So there's definitely a database to select from, I see how you select Adventure, BMW, GSXXX, etc.   But the filter comes up negative.....does a MOD need to do a review first? If I filter ALL, then I get the 3 reviewed bikes.

...OK edit...  I managed to add a review, can't up load the image...only 35kb??  Can't add it to my Garage....maybe pending ADMIN.  I'll check it later.

So when you go to "Add it yourself!" the list of bikes doesn't come up, if you search for "GS"....then you see a list and with option to edit and review everything GS related.  If you search too narrow, no results.  Maybe get the list of bikes to drop immediately.  Once you see that list, it's easier to navigate.

Edited by werx

• Administrators

The first time that a make/model is added to the database, it must be approved by admin.

Q: 2007 BMW G650 GS... I can't see to find that vehicle when searching on-line. I find the G650X series however. The rest are F650 GS. Whatever help you can provide is appreciated.

Could be better to open the aperture a bit and allow people to submit their own stuff, then stand back and knock off go-karts and the like, if that's the intent of locking it down. I know it's the holidays, but here I am 3 days later and still can't add the 2009 KTM 950SE.

Also, right now, the process to add a bike that's in the database (2005 R1200GS for example, because I just added it) requires me to add a review of it. That's a bit cumbersome and is going to result in a bunch of crappy reviews. Just thinking out loud.

• Administrators

Brian, we did not pre-populate the bike database. As of now, it's being done one bike at a time. We did front load a good chuck of the 2015 models before the holidays, but with Christmas, that screeched to a halt. Gotta take time off with family and friends! This is the one time of year that we turn off the computer for more than a couple of days. Feels great I tell you!

The key reason for not allowing the general membership to add vehicles is that it needs to be highly accurate and consistent.  Not saying that many won't get it right. They would. But having done this for over 15 years, we'd see more than we'd care to that would be technically incorrect. See, once a vehicle it added, it becomes a tag that allows us to relate content. So, a clean/accurate year/make/model database is super important.

If the make/model is in the database, but not the year, a user can add that all on their own. But, the first time a make/model is added, it will be added by admin. There are improvements to be had for sure and some are on the list of to do's. But, nothing that we wanted to hold the site launch for. Still many, many details to complete. Thanks for your feedback. I'll add the vehicle that you've asked now.

• Administrators

Could be better to open the aperture a bit and allow people to submit their own stuff, then stand back and knock off go-karts and the like, if that's the intent of locking it down. I know it's the holidays, but here I am 3 days later and still can't add the 2009 KTM 950SE. Also, right now, the process to add a bike that's in the database (2005 R1200GS for example, because I just added it) requires me to add a review of it. That's a bit cumbersome and is going to result in a bunch of crappy reviews. Just thinking out loud.

Is it  alled 2009 KTM 950 Super Enduro R? 950 SE? I also is an Erzberg Edition.  How is your bike referred to in the owners manual? Doing a google search, It looks like most call it a 950 Super Enduro or Super Enduro R.

I understand all. 950SE-R, so it looks like mine is added properly, though it's an Erzberg edition, which is rather rare. Far as I know, there are 3 primary differences in the US between the Erzberg and the regular, and none are really performance oriented.

- Carbon fiber engine guards

- Special stickers

- Hand guards

Not worth a separate entry, IMO.

Edited by brian.havoc1

I also can not seem to add a bike to my garage, i click on all the right info make model year then it tells me I'm not allowed to (cant remember the actual wording) I have a 07 ktm 990 adventure blk/gray, you may not have that year in your data base yet as my dealer always wants to tell me they didnt make the 990 that year, finally he found it, thats the first year for the 990, thanks for the help.

• Administrators

I also can not seem to add a bike to my garage, i click on all the right info make model year then it tells me I'm not allowed to (cant remember the actual wording) I have a 07 ktm 990 adventure blk/gray, you may not have that year in your data base yet as my dealer always wants to tell me they didnt make the 990 that year, finally he found it, thats the first year for the 990, thanks for the help.

I just logged in as you and was able to add and delete a 2007 KTM 990 ADV to a garage with no error messages. We do have the 2007 in our database. Give it a try again and if you get an error message, can I trouble you to copy/paste it here?