GS Giants High Sierras - Sep 3-6 2015

• Administrators

There is similar info on the events tab on the GS Giants Facebook page.

We've been doing this event for about four years now.  Two as Beyond Starbucks and now this will be two as a "GS Giants" event.  This is truly an amazing area.  It's a way to ride in the cooler higher altitude areas of the High Sierras, have incredible catered meals, hot springs and beat the traffic home to be with your family on Labor Day.

There will be gps tracks for all levels.  Rides are self-guided so use your gps or find a ride leader.  No one volunteered last year and I ended up leading one giant group and that was a bad idea.  I will lead a semi-advanced ride this year but am limiting it to about 7 riders.  Even if pavement is your thing, there's plenty of that to be had.

The highlight of the ride is Sunday morning riding up to the top of a 12,400' mountain to see the White Mountain Research Station.  It's the one day of the year they open the gate to the public.  It's not that difficult a ride but Silver Canyon is a bit steep with some tight switchbacks.  I did it myself after riding for 6 months.  There's an easier way up and down but it's a lot longer.

We will also see petroglyphs, alpine lakes and get to soak our tired bones in nearby hot springs.

Official registration link here.  That gets you three nights camping, two dinners and beverages.  We will also be having a professional photographer take your photos during the weekend.

We also have sponsors this year and will be doing a raffle fundraiser for Lost for a Reason charity.

Please post up with any questions.

https://youtu.be/S_bETUqVpQ8

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In case anyone needed exact address or GPS coordinates.  

Brown's Owens River Campground

It is roughly 6.8 miles northeast from the "Green Church" turn off of the 395.

Edited by WarpedRotor
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Just three more weeks to sign up!  We have a great crew coming right now but I just don't want you missing out on such a cool ride!

See above for registration link.

Tracks posted shortly will be at all levels:  A, B and C.

You can purchase raffle tix at the link or bring cash!

Proceeds go to not only buy down your cost to attend, but to raise some funds for Lost for a Reason.

• Administrators

Our event sponsors and what they are providing:

BMW US Riders Academy ($ to offset your cost)

Michelin Tire USA ($ to offset your cost)

Jesse Luggage ($ to offset your cost)

Black Dog Cycle Works (BDCW beanie, t-shirts, bottle openers, Enduristan tool roll)

Giant Loop (Diablo tank bag, t-shirts)

ADV Addicts (t-shirts, stickers)

ACD Racing USA (gift cert for skid plates)

Konflict Suspension (gift cert for suspension)

Sena Bluetooth (two Prism video cameras)

Woody's Wheel Works (t-shirts, hats, stickers)

• Like 1

• Administrators

I have a menu! Friday night: roast pork tenderloin, mac & cheese, green beans, tossed green salad ranch/italian rolls, butter, homemade brownies.
Saturday night: herb roasted rosemary chicken, over roasted squash w/jalapenos, onions, zuchini, bakers baked potato with fixings and napa cabbage salad (napa cabbage, cilantro, gala apples, honey dijon) and PIE!

• Administrators

Yup.  There are a few in/out routes too like up White Mountain road.  It goes to the WMRC and then you turn around and come back.  Other tracks begin/end typically at pavement.  Glad to see you're looking at them though!  I'm a big believer in GPS enhancing your adventure skills.  Anyone can follow someone along a dirt road.  Where's the fun in that?