• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

IMG 1459

Shakedown day!

I was getting antsy and wanted to take the bike out for a shakedown ride.

Yep, it was AWESOME!  Really great sound, power, suspension, control, etc...

Observations:

• I noticed my left foot kept touching the side stand and the motor would cut out, so I have to address that.
  • I had removed the ABS sensor to make room for the left side fork protector but that means I have no speedo/odo!  I will get that right back on!
  • These pegs from Black Dog Cycle works are amazing.  Now that I have a bit more room for my feet, I'm actually weighting the pegs more now (and loving the response) but that meant I also got a blister on the ball of my foot just because I'm not used to having that much control!  It used to be just me on my arches but now I have more room to use the pegs as they are intended now.
  • Have to tighten down the handlebars a bit because they moved down a little.
  • Have to really watch that throttle because the rear wheel just loves to be spun!
  • This bike has a higher center of gravity and that's especially so now that I have the R spec higher suspension.  That means I really have to watch my front braking because I low-sided and it was especially painful.  A good tip is to not forget your knee/shin guards at home AS WELL AS the D30 armor inserts in your pants you were supposed to replace the last time you washed your pants!

Got a proper start to the day

IMG 1456

I realized this is the first time I've ridden on an all-orange team too!  We had my 990, a 640, 530 and 1190!

IMG 1457

Alan on his 1190 R

IMG 1462

FullSizeRender

We finished at Hells Kitchen and I nursed my wounds over a nice cold beer.

IMG 1463

And got some video!

• Like 2

It's good to see you ride, these big bikes just beg to go into the trails!

a few notes on your comments:

My right foot heel touched the rear brake cylinder, so I moved the cylinder inwards slightly with a few SS spacers (same problem on all 990 models, I did the same mod on ADV and SMT)

I had to cut the fork protectors to leave space for the ABS+speedo sensor, image below (before and after!).

You really should protect the engine case with the R&G plastics, because it wont be long before the SS teeth on the rubber-like Al brake pedal dig into the engine case... or worse.

The radiator guards are a must if you are at risk of landing the bike hard... as are the rubber inserts in the rider's pants!

The R front suspension upgrade (with an extra strong spring) is the best money I spent on the bike. It's tall now, so for my height I had to drop the forks ~1cm on the front (and I have tried ~3cm but I lost too much ground clearance so I raised them back to 1cm, perfect for me)

The OEM gearing 17x41 is too long for trails, so I am now at 16x45 and that is comfortable.

I used TuneECU to smoothen the throttle, because it is very touchy and the rear spins easily with OEM map.

P1010706_zpslfrio3vv.jpg

KTM990_gardeboue_zpskhkefjta.jpg

P1010670_zpscbrh7lhn.jpg

Edited by ChristopheS
  • Like 3

• Administrators

Thanks for the tips! 

I have those R&G Racing guards ordered but the place that ordered them for me never called me back to say if they came in or not, so I will have to call them when they open on Tuesday to check.

You said you cut your left fork guard but I can't really see how you did that in your photo.  Can you show me another please?  :D

• Administrators

ChristopheS had suggested we put these case savers from R&G Racing on the bike.  It was hard to find a deal but I did end up seeing my local BMW dealer, Irv Seaver BMW, was one of their dealers, so I asked them for a deal and they said "sure!"  So thanks very much, Irv Seaver BMW!  If you're in OC and are looking at a BMW, go see Kevin or Devin and they'll take good care of you.  I got to spend quite a bit of time with their GM, David Diaz, at Overland Expo and it was a real treat to hear the in's and out's of running a dealership.  Fascinating stuff.

IMG 0296

IMG 0293

• Administrators

First draft of the graphics wrap!

I've already given some direction on some changes I want made to this, so we should have a 2nd draft up soon too.  I want the XLADV a bit larger and moved up and to the right.  They used the 990 stock front fender as a template even though I told them we're using the high fender mod from a 690 enduro.  They are changing that now.  The rectangle is the swing arm.

What do you think?

23618 M Proof 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Some brief video of the new project 990 on the IDBDR!

The bike was unbelievable!  It's hard to say which after-market parts were the "most important" because they all played a critical role.  I'm tempted to say it's the suspension from Konflict and the performance items from Rottweiler and maybe the seat from Seat Concepts (4292 miles!) but honestly they all made this trip much more enjoyable.

I can finally weight my pegs (Black Dog), which made cornering much easier.  I can stand comfortably and thus maneuver the bike effectively (Renthal, RoxSpeedFx).

Check it out!

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Administrators

So what's next? Steering damper? Sub mount? Not much left for that machine, you got it dialed in!

RPM

As much as I love this one I'm actually looking into our next project bike.

That being said, I'm talking to CJ Designs about a few of their accessories like a fuel filter thing, new thermostat and extra fan and this cool extension tube that makes oil changes a lot better.

Dampers are for girls

• Administrators

Oh. oh... an 1190R or better yet a 1290R in the future !?!

RPM

1290R or 1090R ideally. I reached out to KTM and didn't get a no but neither did I get a response.

I laid out our track record on this 990 (#xladvproject990), said I'm in SoCal, go to most of the big events and have a social media reach larger than anyone else in ADV so it seems to make sense.

• Like 2