LAB2V 2015

• Administrators

LAB2V 028

Registration begins July 1.  For those who aren't aware, this is an amazing two day ride (not a race) that is the Fri and Sat after Thanksgiving that goes from Palmdale to Barstow day 1 and then Barstow to Vegas day 2.  Total mileage is close to 500 miles and it's mostly dirt, so in a sense you're really racing against the sun.  I'm told there will be three different courses this time to match abilities but in the past it's typically been a dual sport course for the smaller dirt bikes and an adventure bike course that is more appropriate for big bikes.  This is NOT for beginners!  This ride will kick your ass not just for duration but difficulty as well.  You had better like sand because there's a LOT of it out there.

For budgeting purposes, you need to plan on at least two hotel nights (Barstow, Vegas) and even a third the first night in Palmdale if you don't ride up there early that morning.  They do a nice thanksgiving dinner at the hotel there in Palmdale but many want to have dinner with their own family that night.  If you're not riding back from Vegas then you need to plan trailer space with someone too.

You will also need a chart holder as well as GPS.  The chart tells you the turns and hazards and the GPS is more of just a guide.  GPS tracks are available only the morning of each day and not in advance.

AMA D37 has a great forum for this as well and you'll find a lot of good info along with room and trailer sharing but XLADV should meet your needs there too ;)

Who is planning on doing it this year?

Let's use this thread for planning, room sharing, trailer space, support, tracking, etc...

Tracking info is via the REVER app.  Download that, friend me and then set your account settings to "allow friends to track me" on the app.

SPOT/DeLorme links:

This might be too much for me to do this year on the bike. I despise sand (unless its in the dunes on a TRX250 or next to a cabana by the ocean) and need to learn how to ride in it.

What kind of support do you think might be needed?

I don't have a trailer but I do have a trusty old 4runner and some mild mechanical skills to assist if a 'chase' vehicle is needed. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

They close the course to riders' own support vehicles but do have their own sweep vehicles helping.  That's not to say a buddy couldn't drive out and get you help too.  Most support will be at Barstow day 1 or at the lunch stop (wherever that is, maybe Ridgecrest or Cal Shitty) and then Baker day 2 lunch and/or Sandy Valley then Vegas.

There will be lots of sand!   :ride:

I'm excited for the challenge!  What type of Card holder are you talking about? I'm guessing something that holds a map? Or is it more?

Also I live in Sacramento, if anyone has trailer room I'll gladly pay for gas. Meet wherever, rather not do the full 9 hours on the same bike then immediately run this event :( 

Edited by Blackhawkx

• 3 weeks later...

If you don't have a chart holder the parts store you start from is more than happy to sell you one. I got mine there last year.

DSCN1290_zps362b6bb3.jpg

Doubtful I can make it this year(stupid job) but if things change I'll sign up last minute again.

DSCN1286_zps0104d89b.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Eric et al, out of curiosity, whose riding what (bike) to this event?

Cheers ~ Peter

I will be on my 990.  I think Gerd told me he's riding his GS this time.  He's ridden a KTM 525 (I think) before.  Brian Englund may be on his 950 SE and Landon on his 800 GS.  Other than that, I'm not really sure.

Are you riding?

• Administrators

LAB2V Tracking!

Want your friends/family/pit crew to see your progress next week on LAB2V?  Want to record your tracks so you can look them over later?

If so then please get the REVER app (available in both iPhone and Android OS), sign up and then let's designate each other as "friends" on their website (Important:  this function you have to do on their site and cannot do within the app).  Once you've selected your "friends" then we can all see each others' progress.

Believe me, this comes in HANDY!  I was the "eye in the sky" last year for at least three riders.  I had their SPOT/DeLorme links as well as links to a similar smartphone app (Real Time GPS Tracker; unfortunately not available on iPhone).

It was SUPER cool to get to see the progress over time; which of course we can comment on live in this thread.  You should also try the Tapatalk app for use with XLADV; it works awesome!

There are a few spots on the course that don't have a cellular signal but the app still records your location during those "blackouts" and then re-loads as soon as you pick up a signal.

The REVER app is FREE.  I will pay the $5.99 to track your progress so you're covered.  You may also pay for that feature if you like.