Triumph Tiger 800/XC LED Turn Signal Upgrade

• Administrators

Recently I found my front/right turn signal dangling on its wires after a ride that was just not very rough. After doing a little Googling, I learned that Triumph has a recall on these turn signals. I also learned that owners were having to go back to the dealer more than once because the new signals installed under warranty aren't always fixing the problem. The nearest dealer to me is at least a hour's ride and I have to wait for them to be installed. The dealer won't promise anything but a couple of hour for service and they cannot mail the parts to me; must be dealer installed.

post-4-0-77551800-1432424432.jpg

I decided this was a PITA and an opportunity to tinker with the bike, so I decided to come up with my own solution. After looking at a number of options, I settled on two pair of DRC Products 602 LED turn signals w/ a smoke lens. My bike's color combo is pretty dark (Matte Green w/ black frame), so I thought that a smoked lens would look the best.

d_17283.jpg

The DRC Products 602 LED turn signals are rubber mounted on a metal threaded stalk. They are quite a bit smaller that the stock Triumph units and offer some degree of flexibility. These two attributes combined should offer better durability, but if they simply don't fall apart under light use like the OE Triumph units, I'll be happy.

I also ordered up an OE Triumph LED flasher relay so that the blinker rate is not "hyper". Frankly, I don't think that hyper blinking is a big deal. In fact, part of me wonders if in fact the faster flash rate is MORE visible than stock? But then again, sometimes I think that I'm invisible out there anyway, so it likely doesn't matter much. It was very easy to install. Instructions can be found @ http://triumphinstructions.com/ProdDocs/A9830046-EN.pdf

Before I went this route, I didn't bother to pull off the plastic cover behind the pillion pad. When I went to install the rear signals, the threaded stalks slipped into the holes just fine, but the nut to secure them... Houston, we have a problem! There is a metal structure for the taillight that needs to be slightly clearanced in order for the nut to thread onto the stalk. But, nothing that a Dremel can't handle and with a small brush, a little black paint when you're done, it's hard to tell that anything has been modified. Whatever material that is removed won't compromise the bracket a bit. It's fairly overbuilt to begin with. After clearancing, the nut threads on fit, but it's a bit of a nose picker when tightening up a box end 12mm wrench. But, each signal is ultra light weight, so they don't need much torque to stay in place.

bracket_clearance.png

20150603_175939.png

The front signals mount to the upper black plastic tank shrouds and since the DRC signals do not have an oblong mounting surface like OEM signals, if you just mount them to the shrouds, there isn't a ton of materials holding them. I ended up buying some plastic marker light adapter plates from Rizoma p/n FR218B. You get two plates; one for the inside and outside of the shroud. They are sandwiched between the signal stalk and the inner nut, created a stronger mount that also looks factory.

20150611_104349 - Copy.jpg

20150611_104401 - Copy.jpg

The one thing that I do like about the OE signals is how they orient themselves correctly. They use a two hole shroud mount design, one being the mounting bolt & nut and the other the wires that run through a plastic alignment dowel.

20150616_154919.png

So, getting all your lights pointing in the same direction is a no-brainer. However, the DRC signals are mounted on a single shaft, so they can spin 360 degrees. I'd get them where I wanted them, but struggled a bit to keep them from moving a few degrees when tightening the inner nut. Not a big deal, but I tend to be a bit anal, so it drives me nutz when things are not completely uniform. So, I wasted more time than I should here. Not sure they are "perfect" but pretty sure that just about nobody will notice any variances.

Installing the OE LED flasher was totally easy, using the provided instructions. It's just connecting up the supplied plug into the factory wiring, attaching 2 space connectors, grounding the flasher, and installing the rubber mounting band. It took me more time to route the ground wire like I wanted it than to install the LED flasher itself.

20150611_125248.jpg

Front, comparison with stock incandescent and DRC LED:

20150611_112817.jpg

20150611_112809.jpg

20150611_112658 - Copy.jpg

Rears completed:

20150611_112715.jpg

20150611_112738.jpg

Parts List

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hi Bryan,

I followed your install. I do miss the alignment notch in the stock, but overall, I got all four aligned ok. I even was able to install without using a dremel. :-)

However...

2013 Triumph Tiger 800 ABS (Roadie)

I started with the rears (fronts still had OEM while installing the rears), one at a time. For kicks, I tried with OEM relay, and the rear left blinked fast, as expected. Then I installed the OEM LED relay, and it flashed slowly/normal. Installed Rear right, slow blink/normal.

I then proceeded to install the fronts, either/both blinked fast, as did the rears now? The ground wire is hooked up correctly (otherwise I would think the rears would not have worked at all).

Is this a known issue with these lights? I saw one online install guide for my same bike (different year) have no issues, but he maybe I missed a step. Maybe there are two relays? I did read somewhere that some Triumph bike owners (not tigers) have all four blinkers go at once (not my issue), and fix was to install an LED indicator light in the dash, for the blinker.

Any help appreciated. For now, I've ordered a non-OEM LED relay to try that.

I too miss the alignment notch, I'll give you that.  👍 Boy, I wish I knew the answer to your question. But, do post up the solution if you find it.

Was either a defective $30  OEM relay, or something else. I hooked up correctly.

I ordered/installed $9 LED relay and boom--works!

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/lf1-s-flat-universal-motorcycle-electronic-flasher/787/842/

Edited by Michael Bennett
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Greetings!  Just bought these signals for my Tiger800XC.  Confused about the connectors - the bullet ones included in the kit do not seem to work with those on the bike...? Male, female, just quite confused over here, lol.  Did you have to change the connectors on the bike as well?

TIA!

• Administrators
16 hours ago, Swanee said:

Greetings!  Just bought these signals for my Tiger800XC.  Confused about the connectors - the bullet ones included in the kit do not seem to work with those on the bike...? Male, female, just quite confused over here, lol.  Did you have to change the connectors on the bike as well?

TIA!

Boy, it's a been a while since I did this and I've since sold the bike, so I can't check. But, if memory serves me correctly, I didn't use any of the connectors that came w/ the kit. I use my own male & female bullet style connectors and heat shrunk the connections.

• Like 1

Ok thanks for the speedy reply Bryan!  I've decided to removing the connectors to both ends of the wire and replace w/ new bullet connectors.  Also:  is it necessary to having special crimping tools when attaching the bullets?  Only thing I have is a small crimper that's on my wire cutter. Tnx!

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Swanee said:

Ok thanks for the speedy reply Bryan!  I've decided to removing the connectors to both ends of the wire and replace w/ new bullet connectors.  Also:  is it necessary to having special crimping tools when attaching the bullets?  Only thing I have is a small crimper that's on my wire cutter. Tnx!

I crimped with my wire cutters/strippers w/o issue, but I always fold the wires over so there is a bit more meat to crimp to. And, I heat shrink over the plastic on the bullet connector and wire, as this also helps with the security of the overall connection. And, never had any issues with them either. Good luck!