Sign in to follow this  

XLADV Project Bike: Konflict Motorsports & Suspension

FKxDjQ 1

If you haven't noticed by now, most people in the moto industry are really quite decent people.  Alex Martens is no exception to that.  He also happens to be quite knowledgeable and capable at what he does.  If you deal with Konflict, you get Alex working on your suspension solution from beginning to end.  One-on-one customer service is how he does business.

My first contact w/Alex and Konflict was last year when he came on board as a sponsor for Lost for a Reason in support of our AZBDR ride.  Since then, I've learned a lot about suspension as well as gotten to know him even better.

Konflict's area of expertise appears to be the adventure bike segment and particularly KTM and BMW (1200, 800).  You have probably seen many of these bikes race in various rallies (Desert 100, Baja Rally, etc...).

Konflict carries THE BEST components you will find out there:

I'm sure you can imagine how excited I am to get to work with Alex on this project!

Right now I'm about to remove the front forks and rear shock to send those in to get re-worked by Alex.  We are going to basically re-work, re-valve and massage some magic into these quite-decent-already shocks as well as increase the travel by about 55 mm to make them "R" spec ;)

How cool is that?

What has been your experience with suspension on your big bike?

• Like 1

Shocks off to Alex at Konflict Motorsports and Suspension today.  43.5 lbs according to FedEx

All packed up neat and tidy.  You know what is a damn shame?... that these shocks have not been cleaned or wiped in any way!  They're as clean as the day they came from the factory.  If I should meet the original owner, I'll be sure to slap him!  Better yet, he can see me riding his lovely bike properly in subsequent videos!  That sounds kind of wrong huh?

Shocks from Konflict Motorsports were delivered by FedEx and I got some time to install them.  Installation was a breeze; the whole thing took maybe 30 min.  Top and bottom shock bolts torqued to 80 Nm (spec).

Here is the rear

Rear installed

Front forks

What you're seeing here are the SKF fork seals

Front forks installed

Nearly ready for some off-road fun!  At this point I have to do some of the Rottweiler Performance parts installation and then once the wheels from Woody's Wheel Works show up, we're ready to roll!  For those paying attention at home, these forks after being upgraded by Konflict and the length extended to R spec as well as a beefier rear spring puts us at a net gain of 2.5 lbs for the bike.

• Like 1

I spent a lot of time at the Konflict booth at the Touratech rally. When I have the cash or need a first service on my suspension parts these are the only guys that are touching my shocks. I can't wait to hear how you like them. I wish you had more seat time on this bike before the change so that you would be more able to appreciate the upgrade.

• Like 1

I spent a lot of time at the Konflict booth at the Touratech rally. When I have the cash or need a first service on my suspension parts these are the only guys that are touching my shocks. I can't wait to hear how you like them. I wish you had more seat time on this bike before the change so that you would be more able to appreciate the upgrade.

I was just thinking that yesterday; that I wished I had ridden this thing off road before the upgrade so I could truly appreciate the upgrade.  However, I have experienced upgraded shocks on my GSA going from stock to Wilbers and then three years later from Wilbers to TFX.  Good suspension is the one thing you can do to your bike to truly transform it.  I liken it to trying to go on a rigorous hike wearing flip flops or Converse Chuck Taylors.  You just wouldn't want to do it.

I spoke at length to a local suspension shop and after speaking to Konflict it was evident that they truly understand big bike suspension. I have a local shop 15 minutes from my house and they are great but I will be shipping mine to Konflict.

• Like 1

So I got the suspension on the other day but I had to wait to get the wheels on and back rolling again.

It's immediately apparent I need to lengthen the center and side stands!

This baby is TALL now!  Now I know how the short guys feel!

I can see I'm just about out of slack for my front brake lines.  It looks fine now but I'm a bit concerned if I loft the front wheel, it may tighten up.  I will keep an eye on it.

How tall are you? What is your inseam? How is the ride?!?!

i am 6'4" and about a 33.5" inseam. The ride is great but I do notice it is taller than my GSA. I do have the tall set too. The ride is amazing but because I have less feedback from the front wheel than before, I have to go easy on the front brake because I've already low sided in the dirt once. That made me also appreciate the GSA's lower center of gravity they always talked about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this