XLADV Project Bike: Black Dog Cycle Works

• Administrators

Black Dog Cycle Works

Black Dog Cycle Works is helping us out with some pegs, skid plate, side stand relocation kit and some Hepco & Becker pannier racks.  I can't imagine this bike without any other plate, given this is kind of where BDCW make their initial mark in the industry.

BDCW is run by Kurt and Martha Forget, two fine people who live in Idaho when it's warm and Baja when it's cold :)

This video from The Ride of My Life is really a great intro into who they are and what they're all about

My experience with them began after my initial aftermarket skid plate failed on me.  For the oilhead GS/GSA, there really is no better skid plate out there, and BDCW makes plates for quite a few more bikes as well that are just as solid.

But that's not where it ends... BDCW does much more.  Their pegs are second to none - big, light and what they call "power steering for your bike."  There's even a built-in bottle opener on the bottom!  

I ended up getting my Rigid D2 led lights from them with a great connector solution for my bike, as well as these proprietary bar clamps that put the lights in an ideal spot for visibility and being out of the way should the bike tip over.  You'll also find other protection items, luggage solutions (mounts, plates, soft and hard bags, etc...).

Here are some money shots of what we have so far...

20150613 121156

20150613 123106

20150613 124919

• Administrators

Pannier racks by Hepco & Becker came from BDCW yesterday.

I may hold off installing these until the very end.  I think the application of the graphics wrap will be easier without them on.  Same with the engine guards.

I also want to make sure I keep track of the net weight loss.  For the record, we lose 28.5 lbs with all the Rottweiler "diet parts" but we pick up a net 4 lbs (9 lb BDCW plate vs 5 lb stock plate) with the BDCW skid plate and these pannier racks add about 13 lbs.  So that's a net 11.5 lb loss so far.  But wondering if it's fair to add in the pannier rack weight because the original bike didn't have any?  Apples to apples?  I guess since we'll be riding it with the pannier racks on, we need to consider it. :)

What I'll need to do is to weigh the stock wheels because I know the Woody's Wheels we are getting are lighter (and stronger).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Got the rear rack on today.

It's an easy installation; it goes on with the four existing stock bolts.  What's cool about this is:

• The size.  It's bigger and will hold a larger load more securely
  • Integrated fastening points for either:
    • RotoPax spare fuel can
    • Warn winch

• 11 months later...

Have the side stand relocation and the skid plate on my 990 and they work, how much do you notice the lowered foot pegs that you have on yours? I'm about the same height 6'4" and was just wondering if the difference is noticeable. Thanks

Edited by Bearcat263
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Have the side stand relocation and the skid plate on my 999 and they work, how much do you notice the lowered foot pegs that you have on yours? I'm about the same height 6'4" and was just wondering if the difference is noticeable. Thanks

It is noticeable.  BDCW say that they sell more of the lowered vs the regular ones.  I first noticed it on my last bike and knew I was going to want the same in this 990

• 2 years later...