Drz 250 help

A have a 2001 drz 250 and I was driving down the road maybe doing 50 not that hard in the throttle and it suddenly dropped a lot of speed. So I clutched it and it was still running but as soon as I stoped it died. Oil was coming out of the front right side where the jug meets the tranny. I think it has lost compression. I am familiar with car engines and have rebuilt them. I am unfimiliar with dirtbike engines. Help!! What do you think it is. It will not run. I am not afraid to to rebuild it so help please.

• Administrators

With oil coming out of the engine between the cylinder and case, you're going to have to tear it down for some exploratory surgery my friend. I really don't know what the problem is, but considering the leak and the fact that the motor died and won't start, doesn't sound like something minor. Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

• 2 months later...

Sounds like the base gasket is not sealing.

Having had a similar experience, my issue was the dang dirt dobbers has plugged the crankcase ventilation valve.  This lead to increased pressure in the crankcase which resulted in a oil leak.  Once I removed the plug o dried mud, cleaned up the oil mess, my crankcase leak went away as the internal crankcase pressure was reduced to normal levels.