Appalachian October

Heading to Chattahoochie NF and the Suches Georgia area Oct 9-13/14. Two Wheels of Suches Lodge has tent, cabin and lodge billets or free in the NF. There are many moderate two track (doubletrack) forest roads and several easy stream crossings. Many excellent twisty paved roads. Good Trout fishing and close to Helen, GA.

Edited by FlyinTiger
  • Like 1

I'm actually north of nashville about 2 1/2 hours from Chattanooga 3 from knoxville, just a hop skip and a throttle twist away. Saw where you just installed a set of mitas e 07s, I'm fixing to order one for the rear and was thinking about trying the pirelli mt 21 for the front, I see several people run that combo.

Edited by TN Traveler

I'm running a Mitas 7 rear, 10 up front. The Mitas 7 and Mitas 10 (60/40) was excellent on the hard dirt/rock and loose gravel in the Western Mountains, but a little shifty straight line on the highways (Using correct air pressures). Though I got used to the front wheel "Float" over time. But, in the back of my mind I felt I was one slight move from a high speed wheel wobble I couldn't recover from.(posted speed limit in Wyoming 80, in the slow lane). I may put a Mitas 7 up front or check out the Pirelli you mentioned. It's a little slick in the temperate rain forests of Appalachia, and the Adirondack region that I grew up playing in, and frequent yearly, so I think the on the slightly more aggressive (relevant to Adv road/dirt tires) Mitas 10 would be good in those locations too. I think it would dig better than the 50/50 Mitas 7. I'm not completely sold on the 10 though. I've developed a basic thought since I do most of my rides solo (Five 5,000+ mile rides) I want a tire to help prevent a crash miles from civilization, vs. on a paved road where I have a better chance of being found. Just have to be a little more careful on the pavement.

Edited by FlyinTiger
  • Like 1

I here ya on the more aggressive front, my thoughts as well, I've had the stock pirelli AT's wash out on me a couple times in dirt, didn't go down but the pucker factor was up there. Here's ya a ride, I'm headed to Navajoa mexico latter this yr (was suppose to leave this month but the missionary wife had to have knee surgery so they are in the states now, departure date will be determined by how well she recovers and they get back down there, but looking at Nov Dec maybe), I will be building an orphanage not sure how long I will be down there but it will be measured in months not wks, probably in the 3-5 range which will put me coming back first spring some time. My plans when I leave are to run over to copper canyon, will be less than a days ride, and run it for the ride back, then depending on what time of yr it is, and weather heading over to south central Utah, I spent a yr in a half there with another ministry, it was a working ranch that ran christian camps, we ran 400 head of cattle in the mtns and desert, I spent plenty of time on horse back and know of quite a few ranges to ride, as well I've spent time In Wyoming in the Bridger national forest in the green river area, and know of places there to ride. If you want to come down and ride back with me, would love the company, will be in no hurry, just go where ever the bike wants, also have friends in Albuquerque NM

Wow you do have a full schedule. I won't make it to Mexico based on my future ride plans, but I sure do appreciate knowing I have an opportunity to ride with someone through new territory (to me). Thank You. Though, if next Spring I'm back in the Western U.S. I'll send out a message to see which area you're in, and take you up on your ride knowledge. I hope the surgery goes well and you have a safe trip. Daniel

• Like 1

Hey Gary, I'm happy to announce that I excepted a position outside of Denver. The formal offer will come next week, then I will depart 60-90 days later. I had mentioned to you that I couldn't make it to Mexico due to my future ride plans. This is what I had in the works. I'm really excited! But, I will have to cancel the trip to Appalachia. I fly solo at this point in my life, so I will be extremely busy with the move prep and selling my house. Once I get settled in CO I'm going to try and meet up with the Front Rangr Riders. They are a dual sport group and XL Adventure Bike friendly. They have a group on the MeetUp site/App that you can Track their Western rides taking place. (Free). Take care and safe travels. Daniel

• Like 1