Are gear reviews on a mod to a garage bike limited to ## characters?

brian.havoc1

Question

I just realized that as I added mods to my bike, the reviews I posted are seriously truncated after I add them.  Kind of a pisser, since I put some time into several of them.  When I added the items to the main database, I decided (after a few) to leave the initial entry as "just the facts" rather than my personal opinion.  Maybe I'm doing this wrong, but otherwise, what would the comments/rating be used for on the garage bike?

Example from here:  https://xladv.com/garage/vehicle/5-bmw-r1200-gs-2005/?tab=mods&mod_id=19

I have an old version of these lower crashbars on my 2005 R1200GS. They are incredibly beefy, aided by a lower crossbar that actually runs *beneath* the bashplate. Makes sliding over obstacles harder as you obviously get hung up on the crashbar. Worse,

is what came out of my initial review

I have an old version of these lower crashbars on my 2005 R1200GS.  They are incredibly beefy, aided by a lower crossbar that actually runs *beneath* the bashplate.  Makes sliding over obstacles harder as you obviously get hung up on the crashbar.  Worse, not a single commercial bashplate other than the wimpy OEM will fit under that.  Not even SW-Motech makes one!  Luckily, Inmate Twin Headlight Ernie over at ADVR fabs his own and took a shot at mine.  It turned out perfectly.  Check my review.  

Despite those drawbacks, these are some seriously beefy crashbars which have survived many hard impacts.  The scars on the undersides of mine will attest to that.  It finally took an impact at nearly 40mph onto rocks to drive the left side bars into the cylinder cover and crunch a couple of heat fins there.   Still, the bars are functional and will stay on the bike.  Very impressive.  

6 answers to this question

I have the same question, but have something to add. I find that the version of the review that is listed in a members garage seems to be truncated, while the version of the review that is listed under the product itself is not. You can see the full review under the product page.

To add to that I have also found that if you initially write the review from your garage, that review is listed in full on the product page, but if you edit and make changes to the review from your garage it doesn't update the same review on the product's page.

My solution was to write a very simple review in my garage which is then copied automagically to the product page. Then I went to the product page, edited my review to be my full review, and then went back to the review in my garage and edited to simply provide a link to the product review like this.

Garage review: https://xladv.com/garage/vehicle/14-yamaha-super-tenere-2012/?tab=mods&mod_id=38

Product review: https://xladv.com/reviews/product/40-heidenau-k60-scout/

A pretty cumbersome workaround, but it worked... other than the link I provided in my garage review isn't clickable.