It seemed like a fun thing to do at the time...

...and man it sure was!

Hello everyone, my name is Ross, and I live in L.A.  I met some of you at the High Sierra ride this past weekend.  I came with Mike Thomas, and as some of you may remember, it was my first time on dirt since I was a kid.  I have been riding street for 25+ years, but I had no idea what to expect from off road, especially on my F800 that Ive had for only a couple of months.

I must admit I was a bit sceptical of what to expect at first, but as soon as that keg of Stone IPA got tapped, I knew I was with right group.  Needless to say, i fell a few times, but I was able to get myself and my bike (mostly) home intact, and have a lot of fun in the process.  Everybody I met was very welcoming and eager to share information to help me develop my skills, and it was all rounded off by the swapping of stories from all of our different walks of life around the campfire every night.  I am now hooked on adventure riding, and I plan to try and get into a professional class between now and the Death Valley ride in November.

Big thanks to everyone whom I rode with.  Steve, Jonathan, Jim, Kenneth, Arwi & Maria to name a few.  Some of the tracks I ended up on were a real challenge, and having to put aside my street riding instincts and attempt to learn a whole different style of riding which made it even more difficult, but everyoine stepped up and helped me power through it, and it was much appreciated.

Thanks again for an awesome adventure, and I hope to ride with you all again soon.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Thanks for signing up, Ross!  Glad you made it out to the High Sierra ride.

You did pretty well for what I think you said was your third time on dirt on that bike.  That might have been a good thing you turned back on Silver Canyon as it got kind of nasty.  I've never seen it that bad before.

I will be announcing a training class in the LA area soon you should check out.  Oct 4 is the date.  $200.  You should check it out!  

Thanks all.  Yeah, that ride up silver canyon was my third time on dirt, and if there's one thing I learned its when to call it quits.  Attempting to do something thats out of your league not only puts yourself and your bike at risk, but also risks forcing others to give up their fun in order to perform a rescue, and that aint cool.  In my mind I did well, also considering my right pinky finger was fractured the entire time...did that loading the bike into the trailer on thursday morning.  figures.

I am in for that Oct 4 training, provided I am not predisposed.  Ill check it out by tomorrow.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Ross,

It was great meeting and riding with you at the High Sierra. Another training opption is October 16th-17th BlackSwanMoto.com is doing it's full 2 day class at SongDog ranch CA. check it out I think it cost $595 includes all your meals for the weekend.

Mike Lust

Phx,AZ

• Like 2

• 1 month later...