Baja Norte Dec 26-31 2014

• Administrators

all the photo shop in the world couldn't make this picture look presentable

eric, if I were a better rider i'd love to tag along.  seems i'm missing out

on a lot of fun and adventure.   thanks for the rr

I'd love to have you come ride with us again sometime.  That is, if you're not too important for us now with your big full page spread in ADVMoto magazine. :)

I don't have a whole lot on the calendar right now.  I'd like to do a local Saturday ride coming up soon out to the desert or something.

Nice pics! 

all the photo shop in the world couldn't make this picture look presentable

eric, if I were a better rider i'd love to tag along.  seems i'm missing out

on a lot of fun and adventure.   thanks for the rr

IMG_8107_zpsc510473f.jpg

Hey, wait a minute!  I'm pretty sure that I took that pic at Alfonsina's. 

Edited by BigBearRider

Day 6 we all headed for home.  I wanted to get going early but didn't want to ride alone, so I waited.  I wanted to stop at a market and get some vanilla and tequila and needed someone to watch my stuff :)  We were all set to go and then Mike's battery died!  Mark got out his little jump start battery and in no time we had it going.

We stopped in Ensenada to get my stuff and then headed up hwy 3 to Tecate and it started to get REALLY cold!  It was maybe 60 in Ensenada but the mercury kept falling the further we went.  We got to the south end of Tecate and there was snow on the ground and flurries!

Poor Rich was on his 690 with no fairing and had summer gloves with no grip heaters.  I felt bad for him but then when I remembered he had a heated jacket, I just started laughing inside my helmet at how cold his hands must have been.  Heck, my hands were freezing too even though I have grip heaters.  I have some foam grip covers and they don't conduct heat very well.

We got to Tacos Mis Tios in Tecate and all of us were shivering.  What was kind of cool for me though was this was one of those times I was glad to be on the GSA.  I was way ahead of them most of the time and had to stop a few times for them to catch up.  They said it was just too cold to go that fast but I figure why prolong it?  Better to get through it quicker.  At least it's good to know how well that bike is on the highway and is a great example of the flexibility and value of that bike.  I can ride to my dirt experience and then ride home with no truck or trailer!

Our last stop of the trip.

20141231_122742_zpszho5hajg.jpg

All in all it was about 1200 miles and 6 days.  Mike rode all the way back to Hollywood on his 800 and Mark rode all the way to Ventura on his HP2!  I pussed out and hitched a ride w/Rich which gave me time to catch up on email and warm up a bit.

It hit 26 F on my temp guage when Tomek and I were on the road to Tecate.  No snow though.

I now wish we would have stopped at Tacos mis Tios.  It's a great place.  I could have a couple of their tacos right now...

• 1 month later...

I've got a fever for Baja, and the only prescription is more Baja (or cowbell)...

Got a couple of new Baja maps, and a few books.  Baja Legends is a really nice read:

http://www.amazon.com/Baja-Legends-Characters-Locations-California/dp/0932653472

What does one have to do to get a couple of warning points around here?

Edited by BigBearRider
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Another great reason to go to Baja:

Baja's La Cocina de Doña Esthela named FoodieHub “Best Breakfast in the World”

Global culinary organization recognizes Valle de Guadalupe restaurant’s classic Mexican breakfasts.

http://www.sandiegored.com/noticias/64101/Baja-s-La-Cocina-de-Dona-Esthela-named-FoodieHub-Best-Breakfast-in-the-World/

Edited by BigBearRider
  • Like 2