How do I add a forum?

Grabowski

Question

2 answers to this question

• Administrators

Thanks for the suggestion! Most appreciated. :)

The nutz/boltz is that the site is brand new and activity level is very, very light at this time. So, we're trying to keep from having too many specialty forums that may not have enough activity to make for a meaningful discussion. But, as we grow, we'll methodically break out topics into more specialized forums or sub-forums. There's not a hard/fast rule of when that's done. We just keep our finger on the pulse of the site and do it when it feels right.

I think we need to make a suggestions box where stuff like this can be commented on by others and not forgotten by us.

• Like 1

• Administrators

That's a great question!  I will let Bryan Bosch provide you with the official answer because I'm still new to this as well.

The easiest answer might be that there's probably a place it fits right now that you might not be aware of.  I found this might be the best place for that topic:  https://xladv.com/forum/29-technique/

New forums are typically added when enough people request them.  The staff discuss it and then it's done.  There's also some cool features of XLADV that tell us when a new forum might be warranted.  One is the use of "tags."  If, say, we were in the BMW forum and enough tags started being added to distinguish one model from another, we might then create separate forums for them to give it better structure.

If we throw up a site with a bunch of empty forums, it looks like "nothing to see here" and can be a turnoff, so I think it's going to be a balance of "please tell us!" on this thread as well as proper use of the tags feature.