• Administrators

I got that on the front tire and thought nothing of it but when I was over at Rottweiler, Jimmy Lewis stopped by and said that it had more to to with the geometry of my bike than the tire.  But this is the rear in your case.  I got nothing.  Have not seen that on a rear yet.  I'm on my second.

• Like 2

So regrettably, I had a second tire from a different production week installed and within 20 miles am seeing the same failure pattern of chips on the trailing edge/center strip developing. I want to believe in this tire, think it's just a bad lot and so far the local distributor and my local dealer (BMW Murrieta) have been exceedingly service oriented in their response.

Had my rear do that same chipping away happen on the same part of the tire.

Was on a 12 day ride and kept going, honestly, I don't think it really degraded the life of the tire much. I mean, compared to what spinning it on a rocky climb on a loaded bike will do, and we're all guilty of that.

It seems mostly cosmetic, but off-course it's not supposed to happen..

• Like 3

Had my rear do that same chipping away happen on the same part of the tire.

Was on a 12 day ride and kept going, honestly, I don't think it really degraded the life of the tire much. I mean, compared to what spinning it on a rocky climb on a loaded bike will do, and we're all guilty of that.

It seems mostly cosmetic, but off-course it's not supposed to happen..

That's what I have my fingers crossed on, that it's some type of "scrub in" layer issue--that coupled with the fact that the chipping is specifically on the trailing edge of the tire and only a small piece at that. Disconcerting to see it happen so early--but if it's relegated to the first 2-3 mm of the tire at 15mm tread depth new I'm still ahead of the game when stacked against other tires in this adventure segment. Cautiously optimistic.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hoping to hear some reviews on the MotoZ Adventure GpS tires soon otherwise it'll be the Tractionators. Anyone know if the "Tractionator" Adventure GPS's are available Stateside yet?

Also hoping that a Canadian distributor pops up that isn't interested in price gouging. Have watched the Mitas tires climb in price since about 2013.

Edited by good dog
  • Like 1

Yep, I got 3500 miles on my first rear Tractionator - there was at least 500 miles more left on it but I had to replace it early because I was going on a five-week trip and needed fresh meat.  The front Tractionator is falling a bit short.  I got 9000 miles from my original TKC 80 but the Tractionator is gettting pretty scalloped at the 7000 mile mark.  I'll replace it when I need my next rear in about 500 miles.  I have a KTM 1190 Adventure R and I typically only get 2000-2500 miles from TKC 80, two different Mitas tires, and the Shinko 805. 

• Like 1

Yep, I got 3500 miles on my first rear Tractionator - there was at least 500 miles more left on it but I had to replace it early because I was going on a five-week trip and needed fresh meat. The front Tractionator is falling a bit short. I got 9000 miles from my original TKC 80 but the Tractionator is gettting pretty scalloped at the 7000 mile mark. I'll replace it when I need my next rear in about 500 miles. I have a KTM 1190 Adventure R and I typically only get 2000-2500 miles from TKC 80, two different Mitas tires, and the Shinko 805.

. Curious, I'm still trying to find optimal on/off road pressures. What are you running? Really appreciate it.
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Thanks! I'm running 32/36 on a 21/17 and on distributor recommendation dropping 5 psi for dirt not 10.

You get your Motoz straightened out?  I recall you had an issue I think with a front?

On the 990 I run 33 front and rear as per the side of the tire.  Off road I go 28/28.

Good to know.  I usually let my tires leak down to about that before I bother to re-pressurize :-)

I did have problems with two different Motoz front tires.  One wouldn't seat on the bead because the tire bead was so much narrower than the wheel bead.  The replacement tire had a leak along the bead in one spot - rotated the tire and the leak followed the tire.  Eventually I installed an inner tube in the first tire and overinflated it to widen the bead.  Left the tube in for days outside to get heat cycled by the sun.  It worked and I got it to seat. 

Tried to attach photos of front and rear tires but I can't figure how to attach photos .... ahrgh, this should be easy.

You get your Motoz straightened out? I recall you had an issue I think with a front?

On the 990 I run 33 front and rear as per the side of the tire. Off road I go 28/28.

Eric if you recall the batch I had on the rear there was that chipping on the center tread from the get go, but that turned out to be livable as the tires once broken in were no problem. Took them on the entire NMBDR and had 10mm of tread left after 2000 miles. Front is still going strong approaching 3500 miles. Slapped on a new rear (shouldn't have) because of LABV but kicked myself afterwards because I could have run them. I love this tire. Hey: how do the Deserts run on your 990 on road?

• Like 1

• Administrators

Did you do LAB2V?  Did you see my drone livestreaming the start/finish in Palmdale/Barstow?  That was fun.

As for the Desert H/T's I've only tried a front so far and it was awesome.  No trouble at highway speed even when new on the front.  If I had actually ridden the LAB2V I might have gotten a rear as well (not that the Adventure isn't good enough).  I'd love to try a rear some day.

My front Desert H/T is spent now and awaiting a new set of Adventure's from Motoz.  They are kind of hard to switch from!  Lots of great tires out there but these really work for my bias towards off road as well as longevity.

Did you do LAB2V? Did you see my drone livestreaming the start/finish in Palmdale/Barstow? That was fun.

As for the Desert H/T's I've only tried a front so far and it was awesome. No trouble at highway speed even when new on the front. If I had actually ridden the LAB2V I might have gotten a rear as well (not that the Adventure isn't good enough). I'd love to try a rear some day.

My front Desert H/T is spent now and awaiting a new set of Adventure's from Motoz. They are kind of hard to switch from! Lots of great tires out there but these really work for my bias towards off road as well as longevity.

Wait-- do you have a pristine Red 1200 GSA? Were you also filming with the drone around section 10/11? I think I saw you!