2009 Versys 650

wow first post... 

So sometime in the next few months I am headed back to the US for about 2 years.  I'm going to be borrowing my brothers 2009 Kawasaki Versys 650. I'll be in the Shreveport Louisiana area.  He hasn't modded it much, but I'd like to keep it up for him and do some farkling improvements.  this may not fit into the XL class, but it is bigger than the CRF 250 L ...

More to come...

Cheers,

Dan 

• Like 2

Bryan Bosch, well I'm pretty sure I don't qualify as "right hands", but after some practice maybe I'll be there.   I'm hoping I don't feel obligated to buy my brother a new bike at the end of my borrowing it.  Recom273 How do you have yours set up?  What crash bars and cases are those?  

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

So can I drag a thread a thread out of the graveyard?  I finally got around to borrowing my brothers motorcycle. I've been riding since June 8, and I've got about 7600 miles on it so far. I like it pretty well after adjusting  the suspension to full hard,  anyway I did a little road trip from Shreveport Louisiana to Rexburg Idaho and back. 3715 miles in nine days of riding… I suppose at some point I might want to get a throttle lock.  I didn't get nearly enough dirt on the trip but I got a few miles, maybe 150  on gravel and dirt roads. 

My first day started out after work so I didn't get very far, but I did get a spectacular sunset at a lake and Eastern Texas.   Trying to hammock  camp for most of this trip.

IMG_2761.JPG

IMG_2767.JPG

IMG_2768.JPG

IMG_2776.JPG

IMG_2777.JPG

IMG_2779.JPG

IMG_2781.PNG

IMG_2782.JPG

Edited by Daniel-O
  • Like 2

The next day had me headed north into Oklahoma… Some pretty glorious landscapes even though it is kind of flat. I stopped to Pee a lot which is where I get all of the selfies from.   Several times the turkey vultures were hoping I would pass out… Sadly all I  did was water some of the wild flowers for them.   I didn't pack much food on the trip, intending only to stop at cafés and mom-and-pop diner's to get lunch and dinners.  I had instant  oatmeal and really good  Black Rifle coffee  for my breakfast. Eventually I got to a nice campground for the evening, got my hammock strong up… Only to be told by the park ranger that I was not allowed to attach anything to the trees. This was really frustrating especially because I was using tree safe straps. I was too tired to load up the bike and leave again, so I just slept on the ground next to the bike.  Which actually turned out to be just fine because the stars were amazing that night and there was a great thunderstorm going on down to the Southeast. Which provided a really wonderful lightning show without any rain or danger of being electrocuted.   I  quit counting shooting stars after 10, and eventually passed out. The next morning I got up and headed out early  before sunrise 

more to come as my story continues. 

dan

IMG_2785.JPG

IMG_2787.JPG

IMG_2789.JPG

IMG_2790.PNG

IMG_2791.JPG

IMG_2793.JPG

IMG_2794.PNG

IMG_2795.JPG

IMG_2797.JPG

IMG_2801.JPG

IMG_2805.JPG

IMG_2806.JPG

IMG_2808.JPG

IMG_2809.JPG

IMG_2810.JPG

IMG_2812.JPG

IMG_2815.JPG

IMG_2819.JPG

IMG_2823.JPG

IMG_2824.JPG

IMG_2825.JPG

• Like 1

After a good nights rest… I slept surprisingly good on the ground next to the motorcycle. I got up in the morning and headed to Pollyanna café… Had a wonderful breakfast then worked my way up through Kansas and into Colorado. I am not kidding, people laugh and make jokes, the wind coming off the front range of the Rocky Mountains is no joke.   This was by far the worst fuel mileage of the trip… I was getting somewhere around 25 to 32 miles to the gallon. I did stop at a wonderful café and have some really good strawberry rhubarb pie.  Finally made it into one of the suburbs of Denver, I cousin Jeff cooked a really nice dinner for me I got a nice shower and a soft bed got up in the morning loaded everything up and headed off towards Wyoming.   Even though these parts of the trip we're pretty flat, the vistas and the views were truly spectacular. I love not having to take the Interstate roads, I stuck primarily to two lane state highways.  It definitely feels like you're seeing better parts of America.  My Shinko tires seem to be holding up pretty well but I'm pretty sure I'll need a new rear by the time I'm done with this trip. 

IMG_2827.JPG

IMG_2828.JPG

IMG_2831.JPG

IMG_2834.JPG

IMG_2836.JPG

IMG_2838.JPG

IMG_2842.JPG

IMG_2843.JPG

IMG_2844.JPG

IMG_2846.JPG

IMG_2848.JPG

IMG_2853.JPG