New to BMW Questions about my New 2015 1200R GS Adv

For you GS owners, help an old man out. Things I've noticed and wonder if it's normal.

Clutch - Hate the late release of this hydraulic clutch. Is there a way to adjust?

Noise- Are all boxer motors this noisy?

1-2 gear sometimes clunks like the old days when your chain started to get loose.

What oil are you running?

This bad boy has a lot of torque and HP, how solid is drive shaft & gearing? Why can't I wheelie it? I'm old, not dead. :)

I will have to say this is by far the best motorcycle I have ever owned, and I've had a few. I love it.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Administrators

Congrats on your new bike!  I take it you have the liquid cooled model?  I am not as familiar with that one but yes the boxers tend to make a lot of noise.  Just make sure you check the oil and adjust the valves and that sound is normal.

As for oil, just do what the manual says.  Don't want to start "another oil thread."  :lol:

You say it won't wheelie?  My '11 GSA will wheelie and I know the new ones are even more powerful.  The new ones are geared a bit taller though but I hear they will wheelie in third gear.

• Like 1

Congrats on your new bike! I take it you have the liquid cooled model? I am not as familiar with that one but yes the boxers tend to make a lot of noise. Just make sure you check the oil and adjust the valves and that sound is normal.

As for oil, just do what the manual says. Don't want to start "another oil thread." :lol:

You say it won't wheelie? My '11 GSA will wheelie and I know the new ones are even more powerful. The new ones are geared a bit taller though but I hear they will wheelie in third gear.

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, it is liquid cooled, and good to know the noise is common. Been a while since I've been on a high revving bike and kept looking for another 3 gears. Haha I hear you about the Oil question. It usually goes from helpful to full on debate class. This baby does have some serious HP's! Didn't think I should have a problem pulling it up. I still can't believe the handling on this bike. It is the most forgiving and smoothest cornering bike I've ever ridden.

Do you will probably have to turn off traction control to wheelie. Have you tried that?

Ah ha!! (light bulb over head) That would make a lot of sense!!! Thanks for the slap on the back of my head Jason!

• Like 1

Your welcome! I tried the other day and noticed my engine cut off when the front wheel just barely left the ground.

What year are you riding? After you mentioned it, I remember it seeming it should come up, but it wasn't an abrupt throttle off. So electronically it definitely is doing its job very well. I noticed rain mode works very good and I feel very comfortable in the rain, although my brain and body tell me to get out of the rain. I tell it to shut up and enjoy the ride.

Have a '15 GSA as well. For the clutch there is a bit of adjustment you can do with that 4 position dial. I actually like the late engagement because I only use index/middle fingers for the clutch and I can fully disengage it easily.

1-2 shifting is a but chunky. Especially if you're clutchless shifting it with the Shift assist pro. I generally avoid shifting first to second clutchless though.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For you GS owners, help an old man out. Things I've noticed and wonder if it's normal.

Clutch - Hate the late release of this hydraulic clutch. Is there a way to adjust?

Noise- Are all boxer motors this noisy?

1-2 gear sometimes clunks like the old days when your chain started to get loose.

What oil are you running?

This bad boy has a lot of torque and HP, how solid is drive shaft & gearing? Why can't I wheelie it? I'm old, not dead. :)

I will have to say this is by far the best motorcycle I have ever owned, and I've had a few. I love it.

Thanks in advance.

Clutch- use less of it. Two finger and barely pull it in.

Noise- yup..

1-2 gear - yup. Maybe less clutch and it gets smoother. I found its all about well timed shifts.

Oil - Motul 300v - try filling 2/3 rd of the way up on the window. Doesn't burn oil.

TC- abs button does the Traction control (asc) as well. Press and hold to cycle through the options, tc- off, abs off, both off...

Congrats on the new bike! I love my 2014. It only gets better from here.

Edited by MikeyB