Husqvarna 701 Enduro

After kicking tires, waffling on different bikes, pushing my credit to its highest I could get it, looking at my old KLR ( how could I do this to such a steady steed?)

The moto angels have aligned the stars!

Signed on the line for a left-over ' 17 701enduro w/ husqvarna special financing for the 701.

Won't know for a couple of days if it's a done deal but can hardly contain my excitement!

Just couldn't wait for the new ktm parallel twin adventure to show up , especially w/ the great deal on a leftover!

• Administrators
22 hours ago, PeteMoto said:

After kicking tires, waffling on different bikes, pushing my credit to its highest I could get it, looking at my old KLR ( how could I do this to such a steady steed?)

The moto angels have aligned the stars!

Signed on the line for a left-over ' 17 701enduro w/ husqvarna special financing for the 701.

Won't know for a couple of days if it's a done deal but can hardly contain my excitement!

Just couldn't wait for the new ktm parallel twin adventure to show up , especially w/ the great deal on a leftover!

Pre-congrats Pete! That's a hella' fun bike with oodles of boost and I'm sure a good bit lighter than the coming KTM twin. I guess it depends upon what you'll be riding, but for off-road and backroads, the 701 has big smiles per mile. Hope it goes through! Def post up pics if she ends up following you home.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Pre-congrats Pete! That's a hella' fun bike with oodles of boost and I'm sure a good bit lighter than the coming KTM twin. I guess it depends upon what you'll be riding, but for off-road and backroads, the 701 has big smiles per mile. Hope it goes through! Def post up pics if she ends up following you home.

Got great news! ( On a Monday no less )

Working on a keeping a high credit score got me a great deal on a new '17 701 ! 

Can't wait to bring her home and run it through break-in rides!

Still winter here in northern NY state with bad road salt and worse frost heaves etc.

Looking forward for advice on this new ride!

My initial thoughts are to run this bike as stock for some time to settle in with it and get a good amount of feedback as such. 

My ktm oem rally pegs may fit hopefully as I've got a spare set. 

My first add on will be a rear luggage plate for a small roll/duffle. 

Wondering if there is any concerns to address from new? i.e. - airbox sealing , etc.

Pete

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, PeteMoto said:

My initial thoughts are to run this bike as stock for some time to settle in with it and get a good amount of feedback as such. 

My ktm oem rally pegs may fit hopefully as I've got a spare set. 

My first add on will be a rear luggage plate for a small roll/duffle. 

Wondering if there is any concerns to address from new? i.e. - airbox sealing , etc.

Pete

The airbox on my 690 and a friends 701 have both been great. We ride a lot of sugar sand, so it gets into everything. I'm running the twin air drop in b/c I ride where there is a lot of water in the summer. Zero issues and it's serviceable. I checked the airbox not more than a week ago by dragging dry finger across the bottom. NO dust on my finger and with a flashlight, no visible path where my finder was. I'm sold.

I'm running an SW Motech Rack and Giant Loop Klamath bag on it. Both have worked out very well. I like how the rack flows w/ the bike and doesn't kill the lines or look bulky.

New I'd check your spokes and be  sure you break her in right. Lastly, make sure your steering stops are turn in as much as possible w/o hitting the radiator. At least on my KTM, there we're turn so far out, it cornered like the titanic when turning around. My friend's 701 however was fine.

Lastly:
https://thumpertalk.com/blogs/entry/249-dont-wait-to-install-real-handguards-on-your-husqvarna-701-enduro/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bryan Bosch said:

The airbox on my 690 and a friends 701 have both been great. We ride a lot of sugar sand, so it gets into everything. I'm running the twin air drop in b/c I ride where there is a lot of water in the summer. Zero issues and it's serviceable. I checked the airbox not more than a week ago by dragging dry finger across the bottom. NO dust on my finger and with a flashlight, no visible path where my finder was. I'm sold.

I'm running an SW Motech Rack and Giant Loop Klamath bag on it. Both have worked out very well. I like how the rack flows w/ the bike and doesn't kill the lines or look bulky.

New I'd check your spokes and be  sure you break her in right. Lastly, make sure your steering stops are turn in as much as possible w/o hitting the radiator. At least on my KTM, there we're turn so far out, it cornered like the titanic when turning around. My friend's 701 however was fine.

Lastly:
https://thumpertalk.com/blogs/entry/249-dont-wait-to-install-real-handguards-on-your-husqvarna-701-enduro/

Thanks BB :)

On my 990 , the stops were also a good amount adjusted out. I will check for this on the 701. 

The oem hand guards don't impress me , so these will be gone fast. 

My dealer had a new directive on break-in which requires/advises two 600 mile oil change intervals with non synthetic oil until beyond 1200 miles. 

Ride On!       Pete

Wondering if the oem 990 adventure handguards might fit the 701 as I have a second set on the shelf. 

Not reinforced barkbusters but at least an improvement initially. 

No hard enduro in my plans, just exploring and camping off the beaten path keeps me happy , but I'm not immune to an occasional get off,haha.......

Just got a 2017 690 Enduro. I waffled a lot between the 701 and the 690 and it really came down to the price. I got the 690 for close to $1700 less than the 701. That means I can start farkling away immediately.

I rode it home on the freeway for 55+ miles. That is the smoothest thumper I have ever ridden. If the new motor is even smoother, you may as well install highway pegs. ;)

Looking forward to some dirt riding soon.

• Like 1

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, WarpedRotor said:

Just got a 2017 690 Enduro. I waffled a lot between the 701 and the 690 and it really came down to the price. I got the 690 for close to $1700 less than the 701. That means I can start farkling away immediately.

I rode it home on the freeway for 55+ miles. That is the smoothest thumper I have ever ridden. If the new motor is even smoother, you may as well install highway pegs. ;)

I think a decent amount of the vib is the tires. If you toned them down to say, the Conti TKC80s found on the 701, a decent difference. But, like you, I don't find the 690 buzzy. Oh, if you want more power, adjust the switch under the seat to max. It's noticeable. Also, be sure those steering stops get turned in. Otherwise the factory setting is like turning the titanic. Enjoy! I LOVE my 17 690.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WarpedRotor said:

That's fantastic WR! Yes , the 690 retail price is substantially less than the 701. 

In my case,the only Husky dealer for all of northern NY was sitting on a '17 701 that apparently no one was biting on all year. 

I didn't know about it until I completely looked through their website and found it way back on the last page after all the 4x4's (maybe that's why it was available)

1700 was taken off the price in the listing so that piqued my interest!

A little more nosing around the 'net , I found that Husq. was offering .99 interest on the 701E. The dealer wasn't aware of this until I asked them to research it. I believe it applies to the 690E also.Hope you may have gotten this rate on yours?

Nothing's changed on the '18 701 , so I got a great deal w/ very,very low financing. 

Now just need the northern NY winter to finally finish up.  Ride On

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
9 hours ago, NavyNuke said:

701 sure treated me good in the dunes, at least till the Slave spring a leak and left me with no clutch in the morning.

Not sure why my 701 likes to leak stuff, 1500 miles and both fork seals and now the slave cyl.

Does that have the Magura slave with mineral oil?  The slave on my 950 leaked for ages, I'd just add a little every couple months until I finally replaced it with an Oberon.  I believe Slavens Racing has an alternative replacement.  I think he claimed it was a known KTM issue but I haven't sold a small bore (65-500cc) slave in a couple years and that was to an old bike.  I have however heard there have been quite a few Husky slaves failing which are the Maguras.  I don't think I have ever sold a Brembo Slave.

Just out of curiosity, check the piston and see if it is cracked around the area in the middle where the ball bearing puts pressure on the piston.  A friend of mine appeared to make a rookie mistake stalling his 950 at a stop sign, here the piston cracked and blew the mineral oil out.  I rode into town and bought JB Weld and oil, repaired it roadside and it made it the next 35-40 miles home.

The fork seals can happen to anyone.  I make it a habit to clean the sliders after ever ride in the dirt to prolong their life.  Get a Seal Doctor, it is worth every penny in the long run.

• Like 1

Does that have the Magura slave with mineral oil?  The slave on my 950 leaked for ages, I'd just add a little every couple months until I finally replaced it with an Oberon.  I believe Slavens Racing has an alternative replacement.  I think he claimed it was a known KTM issue but I haven't sold a small bore (65-500cc) slave in a couple years and that was to an old bike.  I have however heard there have been quite a few Husky slaves failing which are the Maguras.  I don't think I have ever sold a Brembo Slave.
Just out of curiosity, check the piston and see if it is cracked around the area in the middle where the ball bearing puts pressure on the piston.  A friend of mine appeared to make a rookie mistake stalling his 950 at a stop sign, here the piston cracked and blew the mineral oil out.  I rode into town and bought JB Weld and oil, repaired it roadside and it made it the next 35-40 miles home.
The fork seals can happen to anyone.  I make it a habit to clean the sliders after ever ride in the dirt to prolong their life.  Get a Seal Doctor, it is worth every penny in the long run.
Have a seal doctor, there really wasn't gunk in the fork seals.

Heard about the slave cyl, lost all the fluid overnight. Leaked out into the void on the motor side. Not sure if it's magura or not but it uses brake fluid not mineral oil.