Husqvarna 701 Enduro

• Administrators

This is why I hate Facebook...  I found someone saying what the key differences were between this and KTM's 690 Enduro (I thought they were the same) but can't find his comment anymore.

So I thought I'd post the answer here:

Andy Davidson (got to meet and ride with him at TOD last year) writes:

The 701 Supermoto is basically the KTM 690 SMC R and the 701 Enduro is the KTM 690 Enduro R, but with three main differences; suspension, bodywork and engine maps.

Husqvarna say that they’ve taken a different approach to KTM by straying from the ‘Ready to Race’ mantra and making the Husky easier to use for the ‘everyday rider’. So, the suspension is softer, the engine maps more user friendly and the bodywork and seat more ergonomic. The Husky also gets a larger 13 litre tank. 

Husqvarna are also developing adventure accessories for the Enduro bike, such as a bolt on tank, increasing the capacity to 20 litres (which Husqvarna claim should return 250 miles) and a taller screen.

I got to ride Dave Lin's 690 in Death Valley and REALLY liked it.  I bet this new 701 is something special!

• Like 4

:thumbsdown: For an Adventure platform softer suspension wouldn't do even a lighter rider any good.  

:) The Husky tank states it is 1 litre bigger than the KTM good for 8 miles or so.  Now, a large 20 Litre tank is a welcome accessory that will help put it on par with standard tanker XLADV's.  It  should work for those of us that have the KTM since the mounts are the same from what I can see in the pics - unless the seat and plastics have altered that.

👍 for a better seat, although it's hard to beat an Airhawk pad for the highway droning - but that isn't what this bike is about

👍 for a taller windscreen (hopefully more of a rally screen than the KTM accessory screen

:ride: engine mapping +/-  Most KTM 690 users put on a lighter pipe and have to remap to make the bike idle.  There are some great free programs and shared maps that will help give you what you want.  I imagine that the Husky buyers will do the same so the mapping claim is not going to be realized unless the bike is left with the stock pipe.

• Like 2

I've heard there is a difference in sub-frames between the KTM and Husky, also saw a picture a week or two ago that showed some difference in frame reinforcements near the head tube. Great looking bike though for sure, 690 KTM has always been on the shortlist for me.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I'm considering purchasing the 701 Enduro because of it's capabilities but not for a year or two. Hopefully they'll further refine the design by that point and address any areas that could be improved if need be. Thought about a FE501S but most of my riding is an honest 50/50 so the 701 seems the better choice.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

You probably won't go wrong with either bike but get the one that comes from the best dealer. I can get husky parts at my shop only if the same part is on a KTM and I can't remap it. The 690's are a blast! Just wish they had 12" of travel.

What terrain do you ride Pete? 50/50 varies by rider, I used to ride a 640 adv for 50/50 but others refused to. A 690 is more highway and trail friendly than the 640 but not a 500. If I lived West of the Mississippi, I may opt for a 690 but for east coast mud, roots and rocks, I'd take the 500. I sold the 640 to get a 500 or 530 so I wouldn't be so tired at the end of a long day, sadly, still trying to get a good deal on one.

Edited by MGorman
  • Like 1

At 55y.o. next week and still in good shape, I find my 990R a handful when it comes to wanting to check out some of the little used and forgotten jeep trails here in the North East.While a trusty bike, my KLR lacks a little in power and suspension to be up to this type of exploring. Hey, I'm no MX'r or Dakar racer but I do like to explore at my own pace and at least try to rip it up now and then. My thinking is that the 701 has a longer service int., more fuel cap., load cap. ,better highway manners but still a fair degree lighter than my current bikes. I'm generally riding pavement to get to my areas that I like and usually stringing together routes that are 50/50. I do see that the 2017 500EXC-F is going to have quite a few changes, but not the 501FE-S. Sadly , I missed a Husaberg 570FE that came up for sale near where I'm at. Those are very desirable and sold quickly. You snooze you lose.

Edited by PeteMoto

• 7 months later...

Had an open Saturday this past weekend,and since it was snowing, I had to cheer myself up so trekked over to the area KTM/Husky dealer.  Must've spent a good hour or two in the presence of both 2017 690 and 701 models. This was a bad idea as I've finally got all my tax money ready to submit. Now I'm all in on trying to come away with a new thumper ! Wish the infernal revenue service could understand my frustration ! Maybe I can claim it as a write off somehow. Damn!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
9 hours ago, 556baller said:

So awesome! 

Look out, my friend bought a 701, the rear turn signal melted off within 12 miles!!

We have right at a 100 and no issues. Signal on exhaust side has reflective heat shield on edge of turn signal. Not sure if that's new for 2017 or no.

• Administrators
10 hours ago, PeteMoto said:

You guys have gotta be stoked! These are the two machines I've been loosing my mind over! Sweet! What mods/accessories are you considering? Can't believe you've got both together. Awesome!

1. Seat. Talking with the guys are Renazco.

20141128_113834_zpswut8mwbe.jpg

2. BRP urethane mounted handlebar riser with Scotts submount stabilizer.

DS_SUB_901113_OB__52792.1473032435.1280.

These are the two biggest issues. I did about 70 miles on the seat the first day and actually, it's not bad. But, a Renazco would make it awesome. Bar height it great for sitting, but way too low for standing.

• Like 1

Will be interested to hear about differences between the dual counterbalanced 701 vs. 690. And overall impressions between the two. I've already got an excellent machine in my 990 R , and a reliable "chuffer" of a KLR but damn, really hoping to get either of these as an upgrade thumper. Later this year the AJP will be around to further add to my tire kicking,haha!

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, PeteMoto said:

Will be interested to hear about differences between the dual counterbalanced 701 vs. 690. And overall impressions between the two. I've already got an excellent machine in my 990 R , and a reliable "chuffer" of a KLR but damn, really hoping to get either of these as an upgrade thumper. Later this year the AJP will be around to further add to my tire kicking,haha!

Very, very little. My 690 has more aggressive tires (Pirelli MT21), so the Husky feels a bit smoother, but a bit only. Not night/day. If we both had TKC80s, I'd say more on paper than in person.

pirelli_mt21_rallycross_tires_zoom.jpg

vs

TKC-80-Twinduro-580x380.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Very, very little. My 690 has more aggressive tires , so the Husky feels a bit smoother, but a bit only. Not night/day. If we both had TKC80s, I'd say more on paper than in person.

Thanks BB- looking forward to see how each of them get outfitted and longer term feedback! Happy trails!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/25/2017 at 0:32 PM, Bryan Bosch said:

Me and my buddy just picked up 2017 690 ER and 701 E. I've ridden back to back, and anyone sweating the decision shouldn't. They are so close. Sure, a few differences on paper, but when riding, pennies honestly.

unnamed.jpg

Hey BB ! 

How about an update on you and your buds' 690 and 701 over these past months?

Any long distance trips with these?

Any issues pop-up?

Has one shown any more over the other? Dislikes to speak of?

Safe travels!

• Like 1

• Administrators

No LD... But, over 700 miles of local dual sporting and as much single and doubletrack trails as we can find! Really enjoy ripping on the trails. These bikes make for awesome at speed powerslides in long, sandy sweepers.

Zero issues outside of too many smiles. I've ridden both and are great! The KTM has more oooomph down low and is more linear in its power delivery. The Husqnarna is a bit softer down low, but has a strong mid-range surge to redline. Both are hella fun to ride. I prefer the overall feel of my KTM, but that's not to say that I would have issue loving  the 701. The are very close, but I'd say that power delivery is what defines the greatest difference between the two.

• Like 2