MITAS Tires

• Administrators

I got this info at AIMExpo and thought I'd share since MITAS is one of my favorite brands (E09 Dakar mostly) and people are always asking where to buy:

Durelle Racing

Elizabeth, CO

durelleracing.com

Motorace

Wilbraham, MA

motorace.com

RawHyde Adventures

Castaic, CA

rawhyde-offroad.com

Twisted Throttle

Exeter, RI

twistedthrottle.com

K and J Racing Solutions

Saint Amant, LA

225-315-3423

Treats HQ, Inc

San Francisco, CA

Treatland.tv

• 4 months later...
  • Administrators

I just came across this review today from Rob Armstrong on the Mitas E-07 50/50 tire.  It's probably the best and more comprehensive independent review of a tire I've ever read!  Keep this in mind should you have a chance to review a tire some day.

I'm not a 50/50 tire guy but it's my impression these are the best out there.

Read the whole thing.

video:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

The E10 on my 1190 Adv R was absolutely the worst tire I've ever had.

Decent offroad, bad onroad, catastrophic on wet tarmac.

I'm hoping that the e07 might have better manners but to the touch the rubber composition does feel hard. I've read about the longer tread life but if this tire is dangerous in the wet I'll have to change it out. Riding on a 990-R.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The E10 on my 1190 Adv R was absolutely the worst tire I've ever had.

Decent offroad, bad onroad, catastrophic on wet tarmac.

Hey Digitallysane,

I see you had issues with the Mitas...? Care to elaborate?

I have some issues with them as well. a set of E-07 on a KTM 990 Adventure. Went down once on wet pave, a few near miss... Scary!!

Currently trying to sort the issue out with the reseller.

Thanks!

@outbacktaz- I'm days away from putting on an e-o7 rear on my 990 with a tractionator on front. Could you elaborate on particulars of your experiences? Sorry about your bad times , just need more info to be prepared. Thought they're known for excellent longevity etc. Cheers

Hey Pete,

Might be a bad batch or else, but the rear one in the wet is horrendous!! It skids all over the place on wet pavement. I went down once, and had a lot of near miss. Never had a tire break away from me on the highway, at 50 mph in 6th gear, until this one!! Really don't know if it's the pavement or the tire or anything else, but it's down right dangerous. I've had superbikes and customs as well, rode on Battlaxe, which are notorious for no wet grip, and they were more predictable!! Go figure.

I bought the tire in 2013, installed it late November 2014 and it's been a nightmare since. It's just getting worst. Very good tire on the dry stuff. But the wet... NOPE (for me)!!

• Like 1

Hey Digitallysane,

I have some issues with them as well. a set of E-07 on a KTM 990 Adventure. Went down once on wet pave, a few near miss... Scary!!

Thanks!

Well, not sure what more to say. BTW, I had E10 on mine.

They definitely don't seem like an appropriate tire for the 1190 Adv R on street. It's a sporty bike and even on dry tarmac you'd sense limits of traction quite early. Took all the fun out of twisties.

Now, by looking at them it's quite clear that they were not made for twisties, but the TKC80 for example behaves much more predictable in the same conditions.

In the wet, they became scary.

I can't necessarily criticize them offroad, but I didn't find them better than the TKC. They do seem to last more, but to me it feels like "more time without fun".

If you mostly do offroad, I guess they are fine.

• Like 1

@outbacktaz- Not what I want to hear from an expensive tire. I'm rethinking things as your experience concerns me as to safety under all conditions. Might now consider a shinko big block.

Sounds like a bad rubber compound favoring long life over secure wet grip :(

Edited by PeteMoto
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Hey Digitallysane,

Thanks!

I don't know of a high mileage 50/50 tire that is good on wet pavement.

• Like 2

@outbacktaz - Can you give more info? When went down , tire was scuffed in / had mileage , off camber curve , on the oil strip of your lane , colder temps , higher tire press. etc. Sorry just trying to be informed. You're ok etc. ?

Hey Pete!

Of course, it was a rainy July evening. I had just finished playing baseball, going back home. T intersection, where the crossing traffic has no stop sign, so no significant oil accumulation. I was turning left. Flat intersection. I was just finishing the turn, the throttle hadn't been opened too much, you know, I was on wet pavement. And then the bike just kept spinning around. Did a full 360 and was ejected from the bike. I had the luggages on so no damage to the bike. I felt hard on my hip. Bruised a bit. All good now.

Mileage wise, probably 2000-2500 kms, about 1200 to 1500 miles. So the tire had been scuffed properly. Tire pressure was in the 28 to 32 psi. for the back one. Max pressure for that tire is 34 psi.

I hope this clarifies some...

• Like 1

@outbacktaz - Thanks , hmmm , not sure at this point. The compound is on the hard side for sure. Appreciate your candor. Tried to inform myself on this tire etc. A concern is putting this tire on late in season with cooler temps in Northern NY. Going to think on it now since I do true 50/50 riding. Ride on , Ride safe

• 2 months later...

After trying the stock Bridgestones and Michelin tires I explored the Shinko 705 and Mitas E-07 tires looking for more off-road performance , but without sacrificing too much on pavement, all at a fair price. The Shinko's are excellent tires on pavement and beat up backroads, with tremendous traction in the dry, and good in the wet. They're fine for fireroads,  gravel and hard pack, but beware sand, mud and silty stuff. The biggest downside is they wear quick, but they're uber cheap, so no biggie. The Skinko's are a bit noisy too given how non-blocky their tread is. The Mitas' are a mixed bag IMHO. They work beautifully as promised in the dirt — very good for even technical challenging stuff, except mud — and definitely let me fly on gravel roads. They're also good street tires with a bit of flat profile which is fine for touring, but odd when canyon caring. Unfortunately, the front is VERY squirmy under freeway raingroves and in general doesn’t evoke front end confidence. The rear is great and hooks up well even fording creeks and flooded roads. The Mitas’ deal with wet fine, just don't push them too hard on the pavement at lean, acceleration or braking (in the wet). Also, I can easily loosen them up with the modest torque of the Tiger in dry, so I imagine with a big motor ADV bike they'd get real squirmy if you're aggressive. The Mitas’ do seem to be wearing well, but I only have about 2.5k on them so far. They're also surprisingly quiet. If you’re an 80% street, 20% dirt rider like me, the Shinko’s are the winner. If you’re more 60/40 the Mitas’ are a rockin’ choice. 

Background on my Tiger: I've ridden my 2013 Tiger 800xc for almost 34k now. Up until late this year I've had ZERO issues with it on and off road; no excessive fluid consumption, mechanical or electrical issues, etc. This year, a dirty stepper motor left me stranded 800 miles from home; had to uhaul it back after several days in a local Triumph shop with no results. My local Triumph guy figured it out quite quickly. A month later, a somewhat similar issue arose, but this time it wasn't the stepper motor, but a cracked throttle control housing on the bar which confused the bike's starting sequence. All fixed, the XC is back to being my favorite "do it all" bike to date since I started riding standards, dual-sports and sport bikes in the early 1980s. 

Edited by Gritboy
  • Like 1

I have the E-07's on my 990.  Been great in the dert, so-so on the twisties, interesting at 90-100mph.  I know they aren't street tyres so there's no sense pushing it.  Not much rain here in the desert so I haven't had the pleasure of a rain ride.  I will definitely be watching them though based on comments above.

• Like 1