Instagram

Rainier_runner

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:38 PM, michnus said:

Well some good news. Insta has shut down the biggest Botting service. So now people can go back and grow their followers organically and as it supposed to be. Not have a phantom fairy liking and following and un-following accounts on your behalf. 

https://petapixel.com/2017/04/20/instagram-shuts-popular-botting-service-instagress/

FINALLY!!  I'd open the app in the morning with my morning coffee and see that I have 20 new followers and would look to see if it was anybody that I knew only to find that they're mostly obvious bot profiles.  So annoying.  I started blocking and reporting everyone of them that were obvious bots. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Polar Nomad said:

FINALLY!!  I'd open the app in the morning with my morning coffee and see that I have 20 new followers and would look to see if it was anybody that I knew only to find that they're mostly obvious bot profiles.  So annoying.  I started blocking and reporting everyone of them that were obvious bots. 

Yea agree, I will rather have a smaller amount of followers than mega lot of fake BS. it is not worth the time to post for fake accounts. Grow organically and slow and it will pay off :D 

• Like 2

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Polar Nomad said:

Eric, what are encompassed in the "impressions" stats that you post periodically?  Like the top 9 you posted recently for example.  Likes, are apparently a small chunk of what the total number ends up being.

If you switch to a "business" account (free and you can switch back anytime) you see a link called "view insights" on each of your posts.  Click that and it shows you impressions (how many times the post was seen), reach (how many people saw it) and engagement (likes plus comments).  You have to do the math yourself to determine the percent of your total followers your engagement is.  Average is 1%.  I think it also tells you how many people "saved" your post.

If you click on the little graphic that looks like a bar chart it will show you the top  posts by impressions, reach or engagement across just about any time frame you want.  That's where I get my top 9 from.

All Facebook ever shows is views, reach and number of shares.  They don't report impressions.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Can I rant?

So I knew I was going to run into a certain vendor this past weekend so last week I posted a photo of their product and it got 13.8k impressions at about a 1% engagement (average).

I talked to this vendor about their social media, what they spend, etc... and all I got back was "we don't do anything unless we can tie it to a sale."

Right.  That would explain the state of your social media.

So I told this vendor, "well if you had the image I had and paid Instagram to run that as an ad for you, it would have cost you about $96."

(crickets)

"search your hashtag and see if you can find any posts as high as 692 likes"

(crickets)

YOU'RE WELCOME!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Eric Hall said:

And.... we're bigger than Touratech!

Wow.  Never thought that would happen.

After your first quote, I knew exactly who it was.  But I'm not positive now after reading this line above.  I'm not sure if there are any other companies out there that are bigger than Touratech in the Adventure market.  Maybe Wunderlich... I even doubt that.

• Like 1

haha.  Yeah, I almost clicked like on your post just now but that'd be furthering the ridiculousness right? ;-) 

I messed up my post today by not saving the title/quote and tags.  Probably cost the picture another 100 on a scenery photo anyways.  haha

Meh, oh well.  I really can't complain about the silliness of IG.  In all reality, I started it just a touch over a year ago for a couple friends that can't travel but would like to.  They told me they very much enjoy following my photos and ride trips and live more vicariously through them than I'd probably ever know.  Just in that little time frame apparently more than just my work buddies like it since I've broken 3k followers now.  Just a drop in the bucket compared to most of you though.  haha 

Hmm.. What the hell is that? 

Loooong term, I still have half my career to finish working before I can retire.  I have a good paying job and will have a great retirement where I won't need to work when I retire (I'll only be 43 years old).  However, I'm hoping to be able to get a mototravel type gig after retiring to cover my travel expenses or even make a little extra on top of it.  RTW trip as a retirement gift to myself as well.  I'd like to get something as a guide or trainer.  The way the world seems to be going, you either need followers/influencers and/or you need to have friends to hook you up with the job.  It's crazy.  I hope to keep building the network that has already started to be able to shift over to the moto job. 

• Like 3

I've always been kind of surprised at how out of touch and stale most motorcycle industry online presence feels. I know the motorcycle industry isn't the biggest out there, but going to e-commerce sites that feel 5-10 years old and having difficulty finding the products that you want is really frustrating. So it's really no surprise to me that smaller shops are so stubborn when it comes to getting exposure or growing their online presence. Cheap and dirty seems to be the name of the game.

• Like 3

• Administrators

That is interesting coming from your perspective (the industry you work in).  This is a transition time where things are being disintermediated.  The old channels for communication don't work, right?  Newspaper industry almost dead.  Television and cable victims of cable cutters who are doing without it (I've been tv-free for 2 years).  Even the "new" media isn't really working anymore as I'm lucky for my posts to reach 40% of my audience organically.  The best way they can communicate with their customers, get awareness and gain equity will be by going via influencers, large (XLADV) and small (individual riders).  In two years this will be a very different market.

• Like 1

I think what resonates best with most people is when companies are engaging with their fans & customers. It's not really enough to just make a product, put it up online, and expect to reach everyone you want. The companies I see making the most headway are the ones that respond and are transparent about things with people. The other side of that though is if you start engaging that way with your customers and then stop doing it for whatever reason, you've built an expectation that a channel to you is open but then nobody is listening anymore. Seen this happen with bike companies and craft breweries in the area a lot. 

Managing media stuff is definitely time consuming though, but its a valuable investment in managing a brand it seems. There's no silver bullet for online presence, and the best at it just seem to be always adapting.

• Like 2