Instagram

Rainier_runner

• Administrators

narcissism-paris-hilton-vanity-narcissim-demotivational-posters-1342582652.jpg

Shame on me.

You know that old saying "fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice, shame on me?"

Playing on Instagram has been a lot of fun for me.  I really do enjoy finding these riders from across the globe with maybe a few hundred followers but stunning photos, stories and personality and then watching them explode in popularity.  But it hasn't really been all sunshine and lollipops.

I noticed recently that one of these riders whom I've helped out in quite a lot more ways than just reposting has ceased tagging us.  Whether someone tags us or not (#xladv) really doesn't concern me (although our tag count is upwards of 60k right now) one way or the other except that I see this particular one as an intentional slight on their part, based on something they said to me which was "why should I tag you if you're not actively reposting my photos?"

Are you kidding me?!!!  So who's the one person most responsible for your rise in popularity?  Who's the one who's gotten you the most sponsorships?  Trips?  Help fixing your bike?  Finding you employment, etc...?  I told them that I was still reposting them but when I see they get more likes on their post than I do, it's apparent they no longer need the boost I provide them.  They've made it.  They've arrived.  You're welcome!  Besides, a few people had messaged me saying they were getting tired of seeing that person's photos get reposted so much.

So had this person joined the forum and made a contribution to the community here?  Had this person written product reviews for the gear they'd received and leveraged our social media as a way of thanking their sponsors and repaying the value of what they received?  Nope.

So this is just reason #1237 why I've made the shift in how/what I post on our Instagram feed.  Feeding narcissism doesn't build community.  If you want the world to bow at your feet and worship you then you're simply not wanted here.

• Like 5

It is really a pity to hear this Eric. Amazing how a bit of exposure can turn seemingly ordinary people into fake celebs with overinflated egos. But in your case with XLADV I guess your game will be different to the us as you are a sharing page. Many would start to think you are their gateway to fame and you will get more them in the future for sure. 

In the last 15 years I have seen so many shooting stars in the Adv community. Big show-offs start fast and furious wanting to be know and then burn out and disappear after a few years. But a few famous adventure riders are the same as your example. As example I asked some old hand famous adventure/overland bikers to add a quote to our page but it is for fun and no moneys involved. Many of them did not even had the common decency and manners to reply and tell me to p-off. And they did get my mail and Faceook messages. 

Funny thing about all this, is that our niche of adventure riding is still small and will always be. Thinking people will become rich from chasing fame on social media is a pipe dream. In our case being famous on social media is like winning at monopoly :D

I still believe the person you mention will be in the minority, I think most still are just going about this for fun. 

This old Windhoek lager adverts  from South Africa is so fitting :D

Edited by michnus
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Something interesting. So it just goes to say dont chase the amount of followers, rather take the time to create a solid following with followers in the target group. Now then one wonders why the brands in our game are still so slow to pick up on this and use this?

https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/micro-influencer-marketing

http://www.adweek.com/digital/micro-influencers-are-more-effective-with-marketing-campaigns-than-highly-popular-accounts/

Micro-influencers have better engagement rates.

Markerly studied Instagram engagement and found a surprising trend: As an influencer's number of followers increases, their number of likes and comments from followers decreases.

In its analysis, Markerly determined the following:

• Instagram users with fewer than 1,000 followers generated likes 8% of the time
  • Users with 1,000-10,000 followers earned likes at a 4% rate
  • Users with 10,000-100,000 followers achieved a 2.4% like rate
  • Users with 1-10 million followers earned likes only 1.7% of the time.

Check out Markerly's graphical breakdown of how likes and comments decline as followers increase:

like_follower_correlation.png

comment_follower_correlation.png

Source: Markerly

Markerly recommends brands pursue micro-influencers with Instagram followings in the 1,000-10,000 range. With micro-influencers, brands can achieve higher engagement rates among a large enough audience. In a recent study, Experticity learned micro-influencers have 22.2X more conversations than the typical Instagram users -- largely because they're passionate and knowledgeable about their particular interest area.

Micro-influencers have more targeted audiences.

Markerly also notes that micro-influencers have more targeted follower bases than influencers with follower numbers in the hundreds of thousands and millions.

Think about it: If a clothing brand partnered with a celebrity with millions of followers on Instagram, the celebrity could reach their huge pool, but a large portion of them might not be interested in fashion. Instead, if the clothing brand connected with 100 fashion bloggers with 1,000 followers apiece, it would be able to connect to a smaller but far more targeted and engaged audience.

Now this is funny, how many brands you tag ever acknowledge you tagged them? Very few, it is mostly that they don't consider this marketing as valuable enough.

Keep an eye on Instagram users tagging your brand or using a branded hashtag -- they might just be your next biggest promoter. And if you want to learn more about influencer marketing or Instagram content promotion, read our guides on these topics next.

Edited by michnus
  • Like 1

Guest beemer bunny

i stopped following a number of people from the motorcycle community on instagram over the past few months. here are but some examples...

someone posts a photo. and later on in the day uploads a story, complaining and ranting about the fact that said photo only got so many "likes", that the person in question doesn't understand why and that the person in question thinks it should have gotten more likes, etc. pathetic.

another once posted a photo of their rented bikes (organized tour), next to some guy (not part of the group or tour or anything else) who was in a wheel chair. going on about how lucky they were to be able to ride their bikes, hoped they could continue for a long time, etc. pathetic bis repetita and of particular poor taste.

then you have those that follow you, unfollow you, re-follow you, re-unfollow you, re-re-follow you... hoping for what? not going to follow a page that is not relevant and/or not interesting to me. and it gets a little trying after a while ^^

i was once contacted by a young couple here in switzerland who wanted to come and see the bikes, my gps mount and had a number of questions about their first upcoming trip. told them i was at my garage on a particular day and that they could drop by. they told me they'd be there at 2:30pm. i planned my day accordingly to be there late morning to work on the bike, so i could be finished by the time they got there, and give them my full attention. so i am done a little early and waiting. at 2:26pm, i get a DM, just saying "we're not coming after all". ok...

and don't even get me started on the some of the DMs i get. no hello, no nothing. just a "i want a sticker". well sure... with pleasure. and would you like for me to giftwrap that for you too?

5421 followers, yet i only follow 464. but, apart from the odd few, i have pretty much had contact with these 464 at some point in time, either through DMs and comments, whether on IG or FB. it's not just about liking a photo or a story.

for me, IG is about sharing. with riders from so many countries, i love seeing the sights and wonders of places i maybe have no yet traveled to, how other people live, the colors, the foods they have and eat, their traditions, and so on. and in turn, i hope to be able to share a little of my side of the world too, whether there is a bike or a cow in the photo. with the additional photos due to my blossoming interest in mechanics and understanding how my bike works. and why it does... or doesn't ^^

i don't like every photo posted by the persons i follow. nor do i expect them to like every single one that i post either.

i still hope that there is another dimension to this. but maybe i am too much of a dreamer. or just plain naive. go figure.

obviously, i have way more and regular interaction with some individuals and/or brands, because of increased interest, and well because sometimes you take a shine to some people.

monday morning blabla. feels good :D

@beemer bunny goodness they have been hammering you, and that couple are &%$#@!, but I guess and hope not the rule. :D

The only issue I have is with these follow un-follow account. 

As you say it is cool to see what de hell people are up to, and IG has less nonsense than FB which makes following people easier. I just wish the dynamics of IG was of such that people only want to bike photos or whatever your page is about. There are so many our travel photos that I would want to add than just the bike stuff.

• Like 2

Good to know I'm in the micro followers group!!!!!  Maybe after I retire in 7 years I'll figure out how to do this marketing thing to be a real badass at whatever new fangled thing is there!!!!  Awe hell I know that isn't going to happen, I'll still be that nerd who is slow on the uptake.  Despite that I sure as heck will be riding much, much more and many new places!!!

On a serious note, I have really enjoyed communicating with people on IG and working on meeting up in person if/when we are close.  There are several I follow (many of which on here) that have stunning photos and I look forward to scrolling through the feed for them.

• Like 1

I think far too many people take social media far too serious.  There are some out there that actually do make their livings via social media.  A large majority of people on there make zero funds from it and likely never will.  In all reality, social media likely costs a good amount of it's users money/time wasted/etc. 

I have a sweet work schedule where I work two weeks on and two weeks off.  I have a decent income and a bad mototravel habit.  Add those things together and you end up with a bunch of family and friends that have no idea where I am or what I'm up to.  I started my social feeds to help me stay in touch with my family and friends that aren't able to travel like I am.  All of the rest of the followers that have shown up since then, cool.  If they stay and the page continues to grow, cool.  If they all leave and I'm stuck with just the original people that I made the page to keep in touch with, cool. 

People need to just chill the hell out.  It's absolutely insane when I get a message from someone ranting at me that I didn't follow them or like their picture after they followed me.  Cool story brah.  Block.  I've got no need for that nonsense in my life and don't want it.  Carry on with that crap somewhere else. 

• Like 5

@Polar Nomad I agree with you. People take this way to seriously. And the monetary value for individuals with sponsorship deals won't you have leaving your day job. It should be fun and a way to connect with people. For the ones of us using it as business it is also just one part of a marketing mix of tools to use. And not the most important tool. 

An authentic don't give a &%$#@! :D

19400599_10154677586268240_7154702659755302068_o.jpg

Edited by michnus
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's interesting to see how many of you guys I already follow.  Great photos everyone, btw :)

IG is great for letting me see all of the places I need to go visit - and certainly helps feed the moto addiction.  

Don't have a huge following, most of my pics are just shots of a bike or two either upright or not LOL  - @braapshit_crazy 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, crudmop said:

Don't have a huge following, most of my pics are just shots of a bike or two either upright or not LOL  - @braapshit_crazy 

I'm number 151.... woohoo ;).

Just went through the entire thread, interesting stuff in the sense that is amazes me how people can react when for example you're not reposting their images enough. I joined IG just over a year ago when I was looking to get a new bike, and wanting to start a motovlog. The time to actually do the motovlogs has slowly deminished after doing only 8 videos, so really can't call that endeavour very 'successful' although I did have a lot of fun making them.

So back to IG, I really like the way it enables connecting to likeminded people. I did however recently decide to unfollow a number of accounts that never attributed their reposts. I've also been trying to make sure to like the original image in case it's a repost, so I can check the persons account at the same time and see if it's worth following.

Another thing I noticed is that posting non-motorcycle-related content is always a surefire way to loose some followers. My initial reactions to this happening quickly went from 'but why?', to 'who cares!'. It the images I post of my 5 Siberian Huskies annoy you, that's fine ;)

Admittedly, I ride my bike mostly as a daily driver (It's my 'company motorcycle'), so the photos I make are mostly from detours or other not so scenic locations. With a girlfriend, a 2yo son and 5 dogs at home actual mototravel is scarce. Maybe in about 10 years when my son is old enough to come along (can't wait). Interestingly enough, the most liked image I posted recently is of a bike that's not even mine :lol:

So anyway, my 2 cents. And my IG account: @motopreneurtv

btw, tried the followercheck.co but for some reason it's running into all kinds of errors.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2017 at 1:30 PM, Motopreneur said:

So back to IG, I really like the way it enables connecting to likeminded people. I did however recently decide to unfollow a number of accounts that never attributed their reposts. I've also been trying to make sure to like the original image in case it's a repost, so I can check the persons account at the same time and see if it's worth following.

The connecting with Like-minded people is probably my favorite part of it as well.  I've been able to meet some truly awesome people because of IG.  I just need more time to meet up with everyone that offers a place to crash or to buy a beer.  haha!

On 7/31/2017 at 1:30 PM, Motopreneur said:

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Jenny O'Grady said:

Hey! I'm new on here but thought I'd share my accounts, and have a look at the ones posted above.
My personal is @
jonpogrady

Me and my partner in crime's moto adventures: @litransit  👍

There are some good as well as funny photos/videos.  Got a new follower here :ride:

• Like 3