Instagram

Rainier_runner

Had a new bit of silliness recently on the ol 'Gram.  I got a personal message from a crazy lady that I quit following a couple days prior.  She was upset at me that I quit following her since I'd followed her for quite a while.  She went on a soapbox of a rant in her message.  I replied simply with "I'm tired of seeing your spotless bike in your garage getting more stickers added but never being ridden." 

No response.  Just crickets.  lol!!

• Like 5

• Administrators

that's funny!  I paired back who I follow by quite a bit.  I started out following anyone who posted cool pics but now only people who are either on the forum here or use #xladv and then an assortment of moto companies (the real reason I got on IG in the first place)

• Like 2

I'm sure those that are on IG for business and to get money may have different feelings but I'm there because I the variety of pictures and the lack of drama I found on FB (that I dumped years ago).  I had no idea you could tell who stopped following, who you follow that doesn't follow you, and such all from here.

My plan is to follow pages with photos I like and stop those that don't do it for me.  If I get unfollowed my count drops and I'll be forced to drink.....wait my count dropped?  I had no idea.

Sorry that was a bit of a rant....these dang fingers get to typing and the brain doesn't register at times 🙄

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/09/2017 at 4:19 PM, MtnRider said:

I'm sure those that are on IG for business and to get money may have different feelings but I'm there because I the variety of pictures and the lack of drama I found on FB (that I dumped years ago).  I had no idea you could tell who stopped following, who you follow that doesn't follow you, and such all from here.

My plan is to follow pages with photos I like and stop those that don't do it for me.  If I get unfollowed my count drops and I'll be forced to drink.....wait my count dropped?  I had no idea.

Sorry that was a bit of a rant....these dang fingers get to typing and the brain doesn't register at times 🙄

I doubt any make money from it, it is just another tool and part of a bigger exposure feed of a business. The allure to IG for me is the clean cut look and feel. The last year FB started to irritate the living shit out of me. It's cluttered with buttons and event feeds, and birthdays to remember and groups, advertisements and freaking an overdose of political BS and I am not even an American and I am an expert on all Trump. People sharing their post to 20 boards and I have to wade through all those post. It is not fun anymore. I go to FB to relax not get my neck hair in knots from all the BS. 

IG is photos and a bit of text, or whatever the poster feels like, and it is easy to unfollow if they post BS. It is a much nicer medium to use. Just a pity so few of the Adv guys and girls use it, but it seems to grow a bit. 

Same here, sorry for the rant :D

Edited by michnus
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, michnus said:

Some people came out with rather strong feelings about riders being sponsored. ;)

I've got to say though, I mototravel as an escape from my career and riding/traveling re-instills my faith in humanity on every single trip.  This summer I was on the sponsored side of the coin and thought "this is what I've wanted".... right?! Nope.  It ended up seriously cheapening my experience on the ride.  I hated be obligated to post for others rather than just for myself and my family/friends.  I also hated when I cracked my oil pan on a very soft hit and was still obligated to try to sell that product to people when they asked me about what was on my bike.  I felt dirty and my integrity was being sold off.  I've since paid that sponsor for all of the product he gave me and politely turned down the sponsorship explaining that I'd rather just pay for things and be free of any obligations.  I'm not destitute and need to ask sponsors for hand outs. Almost instantly, I felt better about my travels and was back to riding to experience the world again. 

Different strokes for different folks.  Some want to get paid to ride.  I just want to ride free and I got a good reminder of that this summer. 

• Like 6

@Polar Nomad absolutely agree with you. That is what I have been trying to tell many people when they tell me about sponsorship. You started your trip for the trip not for the stuff you can get. But that said, there is synergy between small brands and riders, and if done correctly both can benefit a bit. I think many riders are not marketers and when sponsored they think they have to spam the place up which is not necessary and there are much more subtle options to use than a crude hammer approach. Then in the same breath many small brands knows bugger all about social media use, and that you can ask @Eric Hall how many are absolute stupid about it.

Then you get the big hitters like 2ridetheworld as example and I stopped following them solely due to their post now are pure spam. Photo, bit of BS text and a mega list of brands. That is just new-age type spam nothing more. Honestly I do not see anything wrong with a guy being sponsored but keep it real, keep it to one or two brands, rather be brand ambassador or just and keep it subtle and discreet.

We are also not sponsored but over the last 7 years we have had good and bad dealings with some brands and I am happy to tell people about the good brands that helped us when shit went wrong and I am happy to mention and tag them in post every now and then.

But as a start it's better not to get sucked into the sponsorship thing :D

Edited by michnus
  • Like 4

@michnusI'm not mad that I allowed myself to get sucked in.  It cemented the reasons that I started riding and why I love it so much.  I'm thankful for the affirmation.  I've been contacted by several brands since and I tell every one of them now that I'm not willing to be obligated to any brand for a certain number/type/style of posts and they need to be okay with that if they want to provide their parts.  Some aren't okay with that.  Others believe in more subtle marketing and have been using it very productively.  I'm excited to run some new kit through its paces and see if I like it as much as I think I'm going to. 

I've got a new build going on my Africa Twin that I'm excited to get some pictures up of it soon.  I'm hoping it'll be done before my trip to Baja next week but I'm not holding my breath.  :-(  I'll likely have to ride my damned GSA southbound.  haha  Not too often do you see someone write a sentence like that. 

• Like 4

Same here, I learned a lot being on both sides of that coin. It is nice eventually to partner with 2 or 3 good brands that understand both sides. In the long run it is fun and add value for both. We have been part of a few brands product development teams and it really fun. But it only came about because we used their stuff and although not sponsored spoke about them. In a small way it is great to know we add value to our riding community. 

Man that AT is such a cool bike I can imagine how you feel! 👍

IMG_1717.JPG.c201c4cebd0e675970aadd7c31b5cb18.JPG  

• Like 4

Guest rtwPaul

@Eric Hall @michnus @Polar nomad 

as I was in this article I'll chime in - 

The Sponsorship article was written by my GF for ADVpulse and shared in numerous places, and this is what they wanted, interaction. It was about GETTING sponsorship and what companies are looking for and expect...but what it turned into on some pages/ forums was hate/ anger/ jealousy/ name calling and a pissing match or dick measuring contest of who was worthy and who wasn't. 

I am sponsored by a few companies and test product as I'm on the road and have been for years they want good and honest feedback from people who genuinely ride A LOT, I will always speak with them first and be brutally honest. But one thing that almost every single person who read the article and commented missed was I had bought the product before from the 'said' companies before sponsorship, and the only companies I will be involved with are ones whose products I KNOW I can trust. (TBH if they didn't sponsor me I would still use their product)

Most products I use are relatively new and simply need to be seen, this is why I was approached. APPROACHED, most of the companies came to me, I get 300,000 to 600,000 hits a month on photos all over so it kind of makes sense for them. My end is a couple of #'s and some pretty shots. If the 'product' fails I let them know and go buy someone else's - I don't claim its amazing, I make it disappear completely. 

I won't be like 2scam the world and tell everyone EVERYTHING is amazing and make every one of my posts spam and repost the same in 50 places, and honestly why would anyone be interested in what they have to say, they haven't really ridden anywhere in the last SEVEN YEARS so how is the product they promote getting tested, besides between speaking engagements - rides on freeways?

On one page a guy called me out and said I was a "mooch" (ask for or obtain/ use (something) without paying for it.) so I interacted strongly because unlike him I did a little research. He was sitting at his computer obviously to make the comment but instead of looking up my name, he ranted that I hadn't been anywhere so was unworthy, I made a suggestion that he go back and read ALL THE ARTICLE and then do a little research (click some links maybe) in the meantime I researched him and found him to be a "mooch" having shared multiple posts of mine on his personal page, a few minutes later he apologised profusely and then deleted his comments

So, if I were to make a point to whomever may read this; it would be - if there is an article you are interested in - read and UNDERSTAND the whole article (it seems its a lost art), research before commenting, be prepared to be called out if you are wrong and as @polar_nomad said DO NOT let it spoil your experience or ride...don't sell out. It is honestly not worth the effort