Instagram

Rainier_runner

Guest beemer bunny

the founder of the lone rider tent and brand is frederic scheffer.

a few days ago, he started following my IG account. and then stopped again a few days later 🙄

he is originally from france. and yes, the lone rider tent is french too. the first i read about it was in 2012, if i recall correctly.

Guest beemer bunny

well, instagram. this topic got us talking about brands, gears, distributors, fellow travelers, idiots, copycats, statistics and so much more.

i'm happy to share with you my first ever social network mariage proposal.

don't follow the guy. and he started following my account just recently.

my only interaction with this individual was a thank you in response to a public comment he made on the last photo i posted (1 days ago).

i reckon that by declining the message, he would also understand that i was declining his proposal.

no harm done, but gee, the stuff you receive sometimes.

IMG_6030.thumb.PNG.2c01bd8e5e862a0eb632308c7f8fc32a.PNG

IMG_6037.thumb.PNG.4de53be7fb8dfb62b137d75f2008a137.PNG

then again, when checking his account, i did see that he is a biker. hummmmm. decisions, decisions... :D

IMG_6035.thumb.PNG.985cfe06dbb5eb765628efa89539eb0c.PNG

IMG_6036.thumb.PNG.88ea8150f9a4edbed878142475b33ab0.PNG

IMG_6034.thumb.PNG.af798c3c09f15ed12fed5ad901c494bc.PNG

How often do you go through your list and delete people?  I guess I have so few followers when I get a new follower notification, I check them out and either report for spam, follow if I like what they have or nothing.

How do those of you that have big followings follow others or do you keep your following pool small?

Lastly what other pages outside of moto do you follow?

• Like 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, MtnRider said:

How often do you go through your list and delete people?  I guess I have so few followers when I get a new follower notification, I check them out and either report for spam, follow if I like what they have or nothing.

How do those of you that have big followings follow others or do you keep your following pool small?

I don't check that often but I did start culling people I follow if I found they weren't using the #xladv hashtag.  That may sound harsh but last year I realized it was more a one way street and I wanted to just focus on those who were on the forum already to reinforce a sense of community here, not on IG.

That being said, I do find a lot of people using my hashtag I'm NOT following so I'm trying to do a better job of adding people.

Interestingly, round about a month ago our hashtag count exceeded our follower count.

I don't really follow many pages outside moto save for the cute girl here or there I want to impress ;)

• Like 3

On 18/10/2017 at 5:04 PM, MtnRider said:

I was a bit stupid when I started Insta, was like a kid in a candy store, so many nice blogs I could not stop following them. Also pages outside of the Adv community. But I always tried to follow back the guys and girls who have nice pages and made and effort to post good quality stuff. But then Facebook got Insta and decided we have to be forced to see what their algorithms decide I want to see. It was a bugger up, as I would not see the ones I really wanted to see. 

This last few weeks I decided it was time to clean house, also, I had enough of repost pages that I tag and often they never respond to anything so I stop tagging them and I will eventually unfollow them, I see no need to look or follow them otherwise. Also unfollowed many who post one or two bike shots and the rest is kids and cats, I ain't wanna see all those photos. Not my thing :D

There are some nice NASA space pages, photography, cars and bike site to follow I will post some i follow.

Edited by michnus
  • Like 2

Guest beemer bunny

one (new?) annoying feature on instagram.

since recently and despite having disabled ALL notifications in IG, i am now getting a new type of notification, which apparently cannot be turned off anywhere. or i just can't find where to do this.

say that at some point, i posted a comment on a photo - even months ago, i am now getting notifications every time the person who posted the photo comments it further.

this is SO annoying.

am now refraining from commenting. down to "likes" only.

On 10/18/2017 at 5:54 PM, Eric Hall said:

I don't check that often but I did start culling people I follow if I found they weren't using the #xladv hashtag.  That may sound harsh but last year I realized it was more a one way street and I wanted to just focus on those who were on the forum already to reinforce a sense of community here, not on IG.

That being said, I do find a lot of people using my hashtag I'm NOT following so I'm trying to do a better job of adding people.

Interestingly, round about a month ago our hashtag count exceeded our follower count.

I don't really follow many pages outside moto save for the cute girl here or there I want to impress ;)

So I'm one of those that doesn't tag #xladv for the most part. I need to ask you, when do you like/want that tag?  Only for a badass moto photo or just any moto related photo?  I don't feel as though I post all that often but do post some other than moto.

20 hours ago, michnus said:

I was a bit stupid when I started Insta, was like a kid in a candy store, so many nice blogs I could not stop following them. Also pages outside of the Adv community. But I always tried to follow back the guys and girls who have nice pages and made and effort to post good quality stuff. But then Facebook got Insta and decided we have to be forced to see what their algorithms decide I want to see. It was a bugger up, as I would not see the ones I really wanted to see. 

This last few weeks I decided it was time to clean house, also, I had enough of repost pages that I tag and often they never respond to anything so I stop tagging them and I will eventually unfollow them, I see no need to look or follow them otherwise. Also unfollowed many who post one or two bike shots and the rest is kids and cats, I ain't wanna see all those photos. Not my thing :D

There are some nice NASA space pages, photography, cars and bike site to follow I will post some i follow.

I completely agree.  There are a few kayaking and other pages I follow as well.

I wish everyone I followed would show up on the feed.  I don't care for the logarithms that generate who shows and who doesn't.

• Like 1

• Administrators

at first my goal was to just get people aware of #xladv and now I do appreciate people using the tag.  I'm less likely to repost someone who's not using that tag.  Now I just think (and hope) that it's more a generic tag that simply means big adventure bike.  Like #advrider doesn't necessarily belong to the forum as they're not even on IG; it just means adventure rider (generic).

• Like 2

Instagram's brain is loosing it. I thought @Eric Hall was just busy with the Baja rally to post much on XLadv. Because I haven't seen a lot of XLadv post lately. Here and there the odd one but not as often as I remember his regular feed. 

Go look now and there's a load of post that for sure did not come up on my feed. All I can think is Insta / FB algorithms is not working for me or working properly.

I know you can set a page to notify you when they post but this means I will have to set quite a few to make sure I see their post.

Guest beemer bunny

both FB and, to certain extent, IG are getting a little trying and tiring lately.

i even got ads in my IG feed (!) a couple of weeks ago. reported every single one of them as spam. haven't had any since.

but indeed, i guess the algorythms are messed up.

am drastically downsizing on the people i follow on IG.

and the friends and "friends" i have on FB - went from 547 to 153 :D it felt refreshing.

• Administrators

I think we need to make it point to comment on eachothers' posts.  That signals the algorithm that the post is engaging so then it gets shown to more people.  I did take a hit last year at Baja Rally because most of the followers aren't that interested in rally racing but this year it's worse.  I'm posting some pretty decent photos and struggling to get 1% engagement (~730 likes).

On the other hand though, I posted this one and it's gotten over 3k likes

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Eric Hall said:

@michnus did you notice that pic of yours I reposted got barely more likes than you got on your own?  That's the algorithm right there choking off my followers.  :(

Absolutely Eric that is the sad part of whatever de F they want to achieve with their software decision. 

I know the group comment posting works well. Heard it from other groups, but you have to have a group that will work at it. But that it works is true.  

• Like 2