Instagram

Rainier_runner

8 hours ago, beemer bunny said:

i more and more find the virtual world to be way scarier than the real world ^^ never encountered any weirdos on any of my trips. but on the net... woo hoo!

People get really damned weird behind their keyboards.  I'm always baffled by their behavior online, as opposed to IRL. 

• Like 3

I now have the follower check app or whatever it's called.  I get someone who follows me and I look at their pics then start to follow because they have some good content.  A few days later I do the follower check and they are no longer following me.  I'm guessing that is their method to obtain followers but I'm not sure but I typically unfollow them too!

People on the internet tend to be oh so much tougher than in person.  You know the "keyboard warriors" and such.

• Like 3

• Administrators

Screen Shot 2017-12-06 at 4.52.27 PM.JPG

What does this say? It’s stats on a repost I did of the new Tiger 1200 that got double the engagement that Triumph got with half the followers. This is standard and more mfg’s are taking notice.

We were the #1 influencer for Honda for Oct and BMW for Nov according to Fohr Card.

My goal is to leverage the power of our riding community to get us more content and opportunities like the Tiger 1200 launch we weren’t invited to.

We have dirt cred the paid mags don’t and more marketers are going to want to take advantage of that so thank you for your participation in building REAL community.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Couple things...

IMG_2700.JPG

One is apparently Instagram has a new feature that (finally) allows you to follow hashtags! Happy to see this as it finally actually gives a purpose to using a hashtag in the first place. Also that I’m happy I started #xladv because our count is closing in on 100k. It took a few extra steps before to search by hashtag and was a very manual thing. What’s interesting though is I’ve noticed a few copycat accounts seem to be searching by our tag to see what to repost!

Also, I’ve been having an issue for about two weeks now with the Repost app. For some reason it will not let me repost images; it says “something went wrong.” It will let me repost videos though which is odd. I thought it might be that either Repost or Instagram updated so I just had to install that update to fix it but it’s still not working.

So I installed this RepostIt app and I don’t like it because the tag in the corner is way too big and distracting. Have to try something else.

• Like 2

I had the same issue with that App @Eric Hall so I am using the one you are using but it as ugly as sin as it is too big. Will see if there is one that is better looking when posted.

As for # and copy cats, the copy and paste pages seems to have less engagement and have somehow started to fall in popularity. I think also the ones that just start up to monetize later on capitalize on other people's efforts will have not have it as easy anymore. XLADV will have to keep posting good content not just photos to keep growing and show to be community supportive. 

Edited by michnus
  • Like 3

Back to topic, not sure if anyone is aware of this but I read multiple German articles about the changes in 2017 and how these changes will even more take effect in 2018:

- it’s all about engagement: only if a post is relevant for a user it is displayed him on top of his feed, meaning if your are not giving enough signals to IG in the first 45 minutes the post is more likely to not grow as much in engagement as it could. There is a solution, kind of hacking the botting. There are groups coming together and if someone makes a post immediately sharing this in the group and anyone in it is liking and commenting it. It’s possible to trick IG algorithm that way, if it makes really sense to invest that much effort is up for question. 

- stories are getting more important, usage is skyrocketing. I would recommend also to use the story highlights, I’m still thinking about mine.. maybe I will save a video gallery of the bike clean, one dirty and one with me riding.. you can’t go wrong here, I think personal style is more important here. I think it’s 80-90% only for your followers, kind of a gimmick for existing fans not for new fans. 

- if u use bots you are screwed. Problem is IG using a simple logic there, if you are giving external apps/robots like simple analyzer tools the permission to access your account IG can rate this negatively and give you less visibility.

- in the us there are shoppable posts now, maybe something to try by Eric? I don’t sell anything. :)

that all from me, for now. :)

all the best! 

Edited by Rob Hoffmann
  • Like 1

• Administrators

I’ve been approached by a lot of people offering to create a share group but I haven’t taken advantage of that. It seems like a lot of work to go to just to game the algorithm.

No bots either. That’s also a way to have your account cancelled. I think people can smell it a mile away too. I had a guy leave this generic comment on a video I posted: “great pic!

As for the shopping post, I definitely want to do that but when I explored it the directions said you have to have your FB page linked (I do) and have commerce enabled. When I went to have commerce enabled on the FB page it said something about that feature not being available to all pages right now. Kind of confusing. I would like to do that though for our shirts and stickers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Im wondering if this is a pattern?

Apparently, BMW Motorrad used a photo belonging to Tim Burke not only without his permission but against his explicit wishes they not use his work without some kind of payment.  I'm just a rider and amateur photographer and would be thrilled to have BMW use mine.  I know they've used @Was.Once.There's a few times.  But Tim's a professional photographer and he's invested quite a bit of time and money into his craft and this trip of his is about documenting that and finding a way through that to pay his bills.

What's even more interesting is that is wasn't just a regular post of theirs, but one they've put money against to boost on Instagram.  Instagram charges up to around $12 cpm so you can bet BMW put some money into this one; for the sake of boosting their brand and business.

I'm wondering if this was an oversight on their part or part of a pattern?

What would you do in his shoes?  I'd send them a bill! :lol:

IMG_3732.PNGIMG_3736.PNG

• Like 1