Jump to content

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Eric Hall said:

@michnus did you notice that pic of yours I reposted got barely more likes than you got on your own?  That's the algorithm right there choking off my followers.  :(

Absolutely Eric that is the sad part of whatever de F they want to achieve with their software decision. 

I know the group comment posting works well. Heard it from other groups, but you have to have a group that will work at it. But that it works is true.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll start commenting on the posts more.  I did on @beemer bunny the other day about the fires and even got a reply!  I felt so very special :P  I also started marking ads as spam rather than it's not relevant so hopefully that will reduce ads a bit.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MtnRider

while i try and respond to any questions and comments people leave/make - if only because it is the polite thing to do, i actually really like those comments that teach me something. so thank you.

and yes, i added the schulz museum on my maps :D

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest rtwPaul

i started an Instagram account a few month back, still not getting how the whole thing works, followers go up and down dramatically daily.

 

One thing i do like is the total lack of BS that i now associate with FB groups, and the constant pitch of i rode a few miles so now i'm an 'author', here's my book...lol. I do see it creeping in now on IG on smaller accounts with people claiming - i took some photos so now i'm a "photographer!!!" I went to College to get my photography degree, there is a difference

 

why can't people just be honest and say I'm out here riding, having fun and here are some photos of that...i can respect that more

 

Anyhow here's my page - https://www.instagram.com/rtwpaul/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IG is the only social media i use,i don't have a facebook profile and i spend some time reading articles at some motorcycle forums here in Greece and XLADV. At IG i have to say that i can deal with the way it works.I think i follow most of the people i see here.Among them,persons with many many many miles at the saddle like michnus ,rtwpaul, polarnomad, dominique and others that i maybe forget right now but i respect them the same,,Eric with XLADV page with huge numbers of followers out there sharing the passion of riders for adv riding makes an amazing effort.

For me the first is to have fun riding,As i say to my IG account i just fooling around with my bike and post pictures from my rides.

https://www.instagram.com/a_lone_rider/

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/10/2017 at 10:24 AM, rtwPaul said:

i started an Instagram account a few month back, still not getting how the whole thing works, followers go up and down dramatically daily.

 

One thing i do like is the total lack of BS that i now associate with FB groups, and the constant pitch of i rode a few miles so now i'm an 'author', here's my book...lol. I do see it creeping in now on IG on smaller accounts with people claiming - i took some photos so now i'm a "photographer!!!" I went to College to get my photography degree, there is a difference

 

why can't people just be honest and say I'm out here riding, having fun and here are some photos of that...i can respect that more

 

Anyhow here's my page - https://www.instagram.com/rtwpaul/

Agree with you 100% on FB and on the BS. Instagram at least is just fun and although not needing too much brain power it is much nicer to follow and see the people you really enjoy following. 

 

@Eric Hall we can try that, it will cost nothing and not much effort. You can start a group in Insta and send one of your post as the group and we can just comment on it. And everytime someone do a post they can send the post the group to comment on. I only do 3 post a week so won't spam the place up. :D

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, a_lone_rider said:

IG is the only social media i use,i don't have a facebook profile and i spend some time reading articles at some motorcycle forums here in Greece and XLADV. At IG i have to say that i can deal with the way it works.I think i follow most of the people i see here.Among them,persons with many many many miles at the saddle like michnus ,rtwpaul, polarnomad, dominique and others that i maybe forget right now but i respect them the same,,Eric with XLADV page with huge numbers of followers out there sharing the passion of riders for adv riding makes an amazing effort.

For me the first is to have fun riding,As i say to my IG account i just fooling around with my bike and post pictures from my rides.

https://www.instagram.com/a_lone_rider/

Man your photos are stunning I liked it since the 1st one you posted way back of your bike in the dunes and you had one in snow. :thumbsup:

Edited by michnus
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, michnus said:

Man your photos are stunning I liked it since the 1st one you posted way back of your bike in the dunes and you had one in snow. 

<img alt=":thumbsup:" data-emoticon="" src="https://xladv.com/uploads/emoticons/default_thumbsup.gif" title=":thumbsup:" />

Thank you very much!Really appreciated!I think it's not easy to favorite one from your great pictures.The power is that when you post one many people like me want to take their bike and get out and explore and that's the real deal!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have anyone creep on you or your female friends/family on IG?  I've had a few people creep on my daughter's IG account who follow me.

Then today I had a non-motorcycle lady friend of mine ask me "who is wildroots.bike and why is he asking to follow me?"  I don't know who that is so when I looked at his profile I noticed that another non-motorcycle lady friend of mine is following him.  So this guy is basically creeping on my follower list and friending any female face he sees.  That's creepy.  I blocked him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 7:21 PM, Eric Hall said:

Have anyone creep on you or your female friends/family on IG?  I've had a few people creep on my daughter's IG account who follow me.

Then today I had a non-motorcycle lady friend of mine ask me "who is wildroots.bike and why is he asking to follow me?"  I don't know who that is so when I looked at his profile I noticed that another non-motorcycle lady friend of mine is following him.  So this guy is basically creeping on my follower list and friending any female face he sees.  That's creepy.  I blocked him.

i've noticed this, both on IG and FB. at times, i used to get requests on FB from complete strangers and upon checking their account and friends' list, you'd notice they had almost exclusively girls/ladies, a number of which i followed and/or who followed me. and those guys were just adding and adding to their list. some obviously didn't even ride bikes.

some also get very pushy very quickly via DMs and/or Messenger too. and then you have the ones that you have exchanged with on motorcycle related topics, that unfollow you one day and refollow you the next day, hoping for... ???

sure are a lot of weirdos and/or creepy individuals out there.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a few that follow then unfollow a day or so later.  Fortunately I haven't had any of the "hey girl"....guess I'm not as desired as you @beemer bunny :D

 

@Eric Hall I'm not so sure how you kept your composure with regard to your daughter.  Some people completely lack any morale compass to be nice.  Now to be honest I have been creeping on you a bit because of the tasty food and manly workout pics! :wub: 

Serious note, I can't thank so many of you on here for helping me learn about IG, follower checking and such.  It has been interesting.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The engagement groups aren't really a bad idea if that's really what you're after.  I talked with @michnus about it before but in practice it's also a bit of work and then you're always worrying you're commenting more on the other members' posts than they are yours and it's just kind of not worth the trouble.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we do the work group it has to be a group effort. Meaning people have to do their bit to go post on the post people make. @Eric Hall is the only one that post a lot more than the others which might become an issue for some. But then also the only reason doing a group is to increase followers and get engagement up. If that is not important then it is not worth doing this. 

If you guys and girls wants to do this we make a message group on Insta and once you posted you share the post to that group. We comment on the post and like the post and like the comment post. So it is easy to sit at one go and see where you commented and where not. 

Unfortunately now with the new Insta algorithms it is about the only way to grow a following other than the normal way.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i see and understand all that you say, but it still don't give a hoot whether my account grows or not. and i'm certainly not going to push for that to happen, one way or another.

i'm still naive and old school, i suppose. and it's just about the sharing of information and photos.

and following the accounts that i want to follow because they are of interest to me.

and not those that i feel i need to follow - or that others would like for me to follow, for whatever bizarre reason(s).

did an early spring-cleaning on FB. went from 600+ friends - and "friends" - down to 50. and these 50, i have had direct contact with at some point and interact with regularly, which counts for a lot, in my eyes.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are  always creepers out there.  My daughter set her IG account to private.  Whew.  FB is the worst.   I will accept friendships because their profile pic shows them riding or we have mutual friends.   And like @beemer bunny said, within a few days , from some, I have  been old I need a good man to take care of me and he is the one, received some rather nasty nudes (altho I think they meant them to be sexy) along with shots of gorgeous women in Bikinis saying good morning.  LMAO.   Gotta love social media ???❤

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

XL Adventure Motorcycle Community

Register a new account Sign In Now

×