Rainier_runner

Instagram

226 posts in this topic

Im wondering if this is a pattern?

Apparently, BMW Motorrad used a photo belonging to Tim Burke not only without his permission but against his explicit wishes they not use his work without some kind of payment.  I'm just a rider and amateur photographer and would be thrilled to have BMW use mine.  I know they've used @Was.Once.There's a few times.  But Tim's a professional photographer and he's invested quite a bit of time and money into his craft and this trip of his is about documenting that and finding a way through that to pay his bills.

What's even more interesting is that is wasn't just a regular post of theirs, but one they've put money against to boost on Instagram.  Instagram charges up to around $12 cpm so you can bet BMW put some money into this one; for the sake of boosting their brand and business.

I'm wondering if this was an oversight on their part or part of a pattern?

What would you do in his shoes?  I'd send them a bill! :lol:

IMG_3732.PNGIMG_3736.PNG

Copyright lawsuits are difficult and expensive. He needs to prove damages, but doing so is likely more than the cost of the work. It's why so few do anything about it. It's one thing to share with credit b/c you think it's cool and you're just fanning the flames of ADV passion. It's another if the photographer asks you to remove it or simply to buy the licensing to the image b/c it's part of a paid ad campaign. I'm sure BMW has a team of lawyers that would jump someone poo if the tables were reversed.

I still follow Tim (despite him not following me any longer :() and saw that photo then on BMW's page as well.  I'm in the same boat as you being an amateur picture taker but if he specifically told them no, and has record of it, he should be entitled to proper compensation.  This does seem to be a stick situation but my initial though is hey I just re-posted a photo that benefits my company and it's a great shot.

Will be interesting to see where this goes

1 hour ago, Rapid Dog said:

Ask Motorrad for some free stuff...at least ;)

Yeah, at least they could arrange the clutch to be fixed (or pay the company that is fixing it at no charge right now) and fix the front-end of the bike. It'll make for better pictures of the GS in the future which in turn they can use for marketing again. Paid this time of course.