Just sometimes the absolute absurdity of social media and populism is leaving me with Forest Whitaker eyes and honestly leaves me speechless. So many likes for such cheesy, &%$#@!ed up photos? The photos says nothing, it means nothing. Maybe people feel they travel vicariously through these BS photos? Is the world this bloody shallow? Just makes me want to drop kick this social media stuff even more.

"Meatspace" keeping it real. :D:thumbsup:

forest-whitaker-eye.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 08.48.47.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 08.49.44.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, michnus said:

Just sometimes the absolute absurdity of social media and populism is leaving me with Forest Whitaker eyes and honestly leaves me speechless. So many likes for such cheesy, &%$#@!ed up photos? The photos says nothing, it means nothing. Maybe people feel they travel vicariously through these BS photos? Is the world this bloody shallow? Just makes me want to drop kick this social media stuff even more.

"Meatspace" keeping it real. :D:thumbsup:

forest-whitaker-eye.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 08.48.47.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 08.49.44.png

I've been thinking the same thing lately. I ride, I come back, and the quick thought runs through my head, "I didn't take any pics for social.", quickly followed by, "Who GAF!" We all know that people only share a slice of any experience, and only the best of the best.  I have a Sena Prism cam on my desk that hasn't been on my helmet the last half a dozen rides and honestly, while I love the camera, I'm just not feeling compelled to have to capture everything. Nothing wrong with memories in my head and sharing with friends & family through good ol' conversation. Not anti pics or video by any means. Just feeling like it's just too much of a priority. We're so worried about capturing the moment, we're not living in and fully enjoying it. But, what do I know... Just a random thought for the Internet today. ;)

• Like 3

On 21/06/2018 at 4:17 PM, Bryan Bosch said:

I've been thinking the same thing lately. I ride, I come back, and the quick thought runs through my head, "I didn't take any pics for social.", quickly followed by, "Who GAF!" We all know that people only share a slice of any experience, and only the best of the best.  I have a Sena Prism cam on my desk that hasn't been on my helmet the last half a dozen rides and honestly, while I love the camera, I'm just not feeling compelled to have to capture everything. Nothing wrong with memories in my head and sharing with friends & family through good ol' conversation. Not anti pics or video by any means. Just feeling like it's just too much of a priority. We're so worried about capturing the moment, we're not living in and fully enjoying it. But, what do I know... Just a random thought for the Internet today. ;)

Agree with you 100%. I get many a day where I just don't have the energy to take photos. But more so, since we started travelling in 2010 I got to a point now where posting on social media is a pain in the arse. The more and longer you go the less important sharing stuff becomes. I still do but selectively, I take photos and videos for me first, if one of them is okay for social media then so be it.
That said I wont make the same mistake again, I did not take that many photos when we started and in hindsight afterwards were pissed at myself because I wanted to show people some of the places and I did not have photos. I could not print us nice wall prints, I could not send photos to magazines for the articles I wrote. In all basically I recon it is better to have many than none :D

• Like 1

So I knew about bots that people use to auto-like other posts and I’ve also heard of buying followers but now apparently you can buy likes for about $0.60/1000 likes!

A friend of mine is doing it and I think it looks bad. Like REALLY BAD. Like wearing a toupee bad.

It’s SO obvious. He has about 1000 followers but gets like 4-5k likes on most of his posts. Ah but they must be really engaging right? Nope. He will have something like 2 comments.

And his other posts of similar quality have just 80 likes. (Face palm)

Please don’t do what he’s doing. It looks really bad and will get you no sponsorships.

The baffling question is why pay for likes? Any company needing exposure and buying likes surely by now know they are pissing money way. You benefit zero by getting zero of your target market liking your stuff. 
Why normal people would buy likes is beyond stupid. Like you say it is so obvious and cringe-worthy than wearing a toupee. 

It is so easy to see the people doing that. There are a new guy and girl riding Asia and they knocked up thousands of like on each post and they started a few months ago. It is highly unlikely they would grow a Insta account that quick. 

But so be it, if people are so blinded by fame or whatever the hell they think they need it, then let them blow their money :D 

Edited by michnus
  • Like 1