Instagram

Rainier_runner

• Administrators

Interesting look at how the use of Instagram has changed over time...

I was commenting in a post on FB about how the GS 1200 models can/can't be jumped.  I said that basically in the right hands and with a proper landing that they are a lot of fun but that BMW had a problem with frames breaking in the '13 and '14 models and blamed riders for the way they rode them and cited jumping even though BMW had shown images of the bike in the air to sell them.  More recently they've had the fork problems and have also blamed riders even though they've now fixed both the frame and fork problems.  This is a disturbing pattern of behavior; blame the rider then quietly fix the problem.

In any event, I went back on their IG feed over the years and yes I did find quite a few photos of the 1200's airborne but more interesting to me is how BMW has changed how they use Instagram.

In the past it was a lot of candid real-world shots of real world riders at their various events having fun, smiling, riding BMW's.  Just two hashtags and none of them branded BMW hashtags.

Like this:

Screen Shot 2017-06-03 at 8.20.43 AM.png

Note that while the image does have a kind of professional feel to it with the "blur" and all, it's pretty typical of their photos posted back then.  Also note how few likes they got on the photo!  Of course there weren't nearly as many people on IG back in May of '14 either.  I got on their around Jan '15.

Now fast forward to today:

Screen Shot 2017-06-03 at 8.23.50 AM.png

Sure this one is still of an actual rider but it's typical of what most of their photos look like; flashy, trendy, glitzy, professionally shot, magazine quality shots.  10 hashtags and quite a few of them are BMW-branded.  But look at the likes!  Maybe they are in fact getting smarter about what they post (good thing) but does it in any way feel less real?  More out of touch?  Elitist?  Untouchable?  Distant?  I think in some small way that BMW's become less human, less real and more of a glamour bike; one that is harder for the average rider to relate to.  But it does fit what I've been saying for about three years and that's that BMW is going more for this stylish, urban, monied "scarf boy."  I'm not really their market and maybe I never was.

This does stand in stark contrast to how KTM is marketed.  They are as far away from the "scarf boy" image as you can get.  They are about the authentic adventure and racer.  Very interesting contrasts and a good lesson in positioning, IMHO.

• Like 2

I think BMW still wants to maintain their elitist price tag but realize that they're losing a lot of money/sales to other brands that are selling to the younger crowd.  They're trying to have the best of both worlds and IMHO, won't be able to do it with their current lineup of bikes when compared to competition.  I still have my GSA and will never sell it.  However, I find myself veering more and more away from BMW for the active style of riding that I enjoy most.  Hence, the thrashing I've been giving my Africa Twin.  hahaha  I've got a short video of the donut series of pictures now to post.  

• Like 1

Really cool post Eric! It very interesting what you say.

Just to add, I know from a few Eu friends that for example to get a motorcycle license in Germany cost something ridiculous like 2000Eu, I stand corrected but it is very expensive. And for years BMW has only had old customers and i think they are trying hard to get the younger crowd to buy into the lifestyle. But for sure the market segment for BMW customers are the higher income middle class with money. Not sure how they position to get the younger crowd to buy into it. 

I think the cost for motorcycles licenses all over the Eu is high and cost of owning a big cc is also quite expensive. That might also add to the way they evolved their IG feed. 

Many of th e big accounts do not use many #tags anymore as they perceive themselves to be exclusive and no need to use so many #tags. Their post on the photo is short and to the point just to bring the message over. 

Edited by michnus
  • Like 1

Completely agree on the marketing to the younger crowd.  I think they have a problem with maintaining their price tag and cost of ownership (elitist image) compared to competition.  The younger folk, I'm usually lumped into that group since I'm only 34, tend to not be able to afford it.  That, or if they can afford it, work so much that they can't ride the bikes that much.  I'm lucky and work a sweet schedule of two weeks on and two weeks off.  Plus, I'm full-fledged addicted to mototravel.   

• Like 2

Well, I don't know, the current Adv bikes are super expensive and BMW trainers and ego boys still punting you can ride it like an enduro bike is stupid and as @Eric Hall said going to cause issues one way other the other. For one it's expensive to fix and maintain these new trucks especially if you want to use #rallyextreme and #hardenduro in your flying post :D

The Adv market is really small, but that said, I know a guy who is close to the MD's of the major motorcycle brands in the USA and the MD of BMWUSA told him if it was not for the GS they were effectively dead in the USA. In South Africa for sure it is GS country. No GS no BMW and I guess that is the case in many Adv markets. It is also why BMW pissed their name away and badged the new 300cc commuter bike a GS. They had to go for the massive commuter market Latin America, Spain , Italy and such and try to get a share of that pie. 

Edited by michnus
  • Like 2

I find this thread a real gem. Advices, suggestions, everything.. also useful tool this "followercheck" .. 

Maybe im just lucky for having only 40 fake profiles following..

....and yes,

instagram ------------->   https://www.instagram.com/stara__varos/

hope i have some content of value to share,

:ride:

59388bfa32d68_2017-06-0802_20_42.png.65998744c33cd9eac44f41d61ba31445.png

Edited by Stara__Varos
  • Like 1

So I finally checked the follower check and was pleasantly surprised (only 3 fake).  I do look at each new follower and if I think they are spam I block and report them.

Eric it comes as no surprise that XLADV is far bigger than Touratech and many others.  You aren't here to sell, sell, sell but rather more of a show, tell and share.  In fact your feed is one of my favorite of the people I follow!!!!

I'm also not one to post all that often but I do really enjoy this forum as well

Edited by MtnRider
Because I'm not computer savy
  • Like 2

• Administrators

Thanks, @MtnRider  XLADV is an easy class to be big since it's mostly just eye candy.  Touratech is pretty much limited to things they sell given their objective.  I'm much more mass market and have a broader category or bigger pond in which to swim.  Also, if I were selling stuff like Touratech, I'd be much more limited in my posting like once/day.  On XLADV Instagram I post upwards of 3-5 times/day.  I've only had people complain about the frequency twice but we were growing so rapidly and not losing anyone so my gut said we were doing the right thing.  But as I mentioned about two months ago, our strategy has shifted to mostly reposting those who are truly part of this community.  We've met our awareness goals so now it's time to reinforce those who are already here as well as give others an incentive to become part of the community.  True, I do have quite a few Instagram-only friends but real community is here in a forum rather than in the instant world or "like factory" that is Instagram.  I'm also tired of people begging me to repost them when they've never bothered to join our forum.  Sorry but the free lunch is over.  This ain't a 501C3 charitable organization :lol:

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Polar Nomad said:

Does that thing tell you which accounts are the fake ones so you could go through and remove them?

It showed me one of the fake accounts.  I also saw an app or site that shows who you are following and if they are following you.  May have been earlier in this thread.

• Like 3

Got something interesting today. I saw https://www.instagram.com/adventurism.life/ unfollowed me. And since she is doing exactly what I am doing, ie, riding around the world I messaged her to ask why she unfollowed me. As a fellow round the world rider I had the romantic idea that we would sort of support each other at least in that way, following each other.
We had a nice chat and Nora responded with it was not her intention but that she uses automation tools to gain followers. The automation tool is Zen-pro and it follows and unfollows people on parameters you set in your target market. She mention she pays but it is reasonably priced. 

Well, so I am as close to her target market as can come and the app went and unfollowed me. Which I can now safely assume is doing more harm than good to a person using the app. If it can not properly distinguish which accounts to follow and randomly even if she sets parameters then the app is utterly and absolutely useless. Also I think that include other such apps and which reinforces my believe that good old hard work is still the best way. One can also assume that the app by doing that adds more fake accounts to your followers  and pages that has little to do with your target audience. Which in the end leaves you with a lot of nothingness.

So, posting constantly, making sure you have good content and photos, interact with other pages, comment  and respond to others over time will ensure you sit with a solid following that is worth the exposure for brands that would want to use you as influencer.

Edited by michnus
  • Like 2

• Administrators

I have shared a number of her posts.  She's very intriguing and has great photo and video skills.  She reached out asking why I hadn't shared her stuff in a while and I said something like "how about you join the forum?"  No response.

She's free to do whatever she likes and I fully support that.  She's having a great trip.  But what I'm doing is different from that; I want to create a community.  It doesn't build a community to have a one way relationship.

And I'd caution others on using tools like Zen-Pro.  It's violates Instagram's terms of service and can get your account deleted.

• Like 3

Yes she is for sure having a trip of a lifetime. We had a good chat. But agree with you @Eric Hall your goal is to grow the forum and XLADV and therefore need people to play with :)

@Polar Nomad and this behaviour from apps like Zen-pro sure as bob just proved it. If the app unfollows the people it is suppose to bring to your account they are failing miserably. I am sure those apps are all just bogus scamsters, they don't give a F about how they get you followers, if for the money they get you 10000 fakes they dont give a damn, they can just say they did their job you paid them to do. 

Also funny thing on Influence.co they add a lot of weight behind Instagram activity and post. And then ask of you to add your other social media accounts. But they add close to zero value to those accounts to make up a bigger picture for brands looking at influencers. Which in my humble opinion is disingenuous surely if I am a brand looking for a good influencer I would be looking at some one with a good cross range of activity over various platforms not just one.  I emailed them about it but yet to receive a reply. 

Edited by michnus
  • Like 1

That video was funny!!!  I did some looking to find it (because I don't have FB) and found it was made in 2012.

Some interesting aspects of IG that I had no clue about until this thread.  There are tools to get, check, verify, etc followers.  I had no flipping clue about any of that and am realizing many use IG as somewhat of a business tool of sorts.  Yes social media is the way to go currently and it is what it is.  I'll still be that nerd w/o a ton of followers who doesn't post quite enough to garner millions more but enough to make myself smile!  Oh and yes sunsets, feet in the sand, plane wing and so much more inline with the video!

• Like 2

I actually sometimes feel it is all kiddies bullshit. But as you say, for businesses unfortunately it is invaluable. I creamed myself laughing the 1st I saw that clip a few years ago. And it was due to that clip that I stayed away from Instagram. ;):D

• Like 2