Taste of Dakar 2016

Anyone making the journey to Pahrump NV for AltRider's Taste of Dakar?

There is a truck and trailer heading down from Seattle with a few extra motorcycle spots if anyone wants fly down. We have done this a few times and will be transporting AltRider's gear as well. Let me know.

2477_zpsuz5ehyra.jpg

2475_zpskgpy9vdq.jpg

• Like 3

• Administrators

I usually show up Thur afternoon, as it's about 4.5 hours from my house.  I pre-run the intermediate course on Friday and then do it again on Saturday.

Jimmy Lewis (not participating this year) has always put together some classic tracks that are typically a bit tougher than you expected.  I will try to preserve the challenges but perhaps cut out some of the more un-fun parts.  It's a real challenge considering the event has been held there four times already and we may keep the same lunch stop as the past two years (Pioneer Saloon).

I'm headed out there in a few weeks to do some scouting with Curtis Cummings of Great Southwest Moto Adventures.

• Like 2

Ahhhh, nice! I forgot about this thing. I want to go. I'm not sure if I want to fly, but I'll keep my eyes on this thread just in case I change my mind.

It's worth the trip but riding down is always sketchy. Last 3 years we have hit snow in at least a few of the passes. Driving down we get there safe and somewhat rested for the fun weekend. We typically have enough time to stay a few extra days of riding but not enough time to enjoy a good ride down and back.

Do you still have a spot available for a bike? I'm in Northern California, maybe on the way I could jump on your adventure train?

Looks like we have 1 spot filled. I think we are hoping to avoid stopping mid trip for pickups/drop offs so I will need to get back to you. We also have been going SE out of Seattle the last few trips as it is a bit faster.

Me n a mate Mark are heading up from Satans Bottom (Phoenix) Thursday to get some early tracks-in Friday before it all kick-off and would be willing to pre0run anything you have made up Eric.  Jon we'll meet with you n Ed  up at the RV lodge Thursday eve for pints n planning :) Had mechnical failuires last year with Mark so looking forwards to 3 solids days blat this year albeit I'm cheating on my Tiger 800XC and bringing the KTM 500 this year... See you buggers out there ~ Peter

• Like 2

Yeah give him my information. I'll PM my phone number.

If anyone wants to share a enterprise van I'm open to that as well.

Rodgers- I don't know of any groups heading from your area.  I put Chris Hunt in touch with another group from Portland. If they have something, they may contact you.

• 1 month later...

One of our guys isn't going to need a bike driven down so we have 1 spot in the trailer left. We could also use the bed of the truck for 1-2. If anyone is interested let me know. I did see a bike bandit sponsoring discount on FB page for event fees

Are you guys driving through Utah??  I've driven the Vegas to Seattle route a few times, usually avoiding California because of the 55 mph speed limit with a trailer and the L.A. congestion.   

Google maps says it's faster to cut down south through Nevada, but that is such a lost-in-the-desert route that I always go on over to Salt Lake City and follow I-15 down.  It seems so much easier to stay on the freeway while travelling at a good speed (80 in Utah) vs. the Nevada route where you're going through small towns and speed traps, then empty desert and 2 lane roads with no cell signal for hours.

I think this is my 3rd time driving down and haven't ever gone the same route there or back.  We haven't ever gone through SLC/Utah as it adds a good 200 miles.  We do tend to avoid CA (except for when we had to pickup a buddy outside of San Fran.)  Last year we I believe we went down towards Boise and then through Nevada which worked out well.  Every time it is pretty much 24 hrs one way of driving/gas/meals/stops unless we stop real sleep.  The big trailer and passes always make it a slower ride.