Hello from Iowa

My name is actually Kathleen, and I live in north central Iowa. I own two bikes, my trusty moderately farkeled 2001 Suzuki DR650, and my 2015 BMW R1200GSW, still in the farkeling process. I have been riding since I was 16, and the only off road I have done was a little in Apple Valley, CA on the DR, and a little gravel road riding here in Iowa. I really want to do an off road course, Rawhyde or something similar real soon. I don't own these bikes to keep street tires on them! I commute 60 miles round trip to work when it isn't snowy and icy, last good ride was mid December, unheard of in Iowa, but hey, it's an El Nino year! My husband rides also, but he is my Chrome Cowboy, loving a shiny Road King. We are planning a trip late summer to the Canadian Rockies, which will have to be a road trip, me taking the GS.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • Administrators

I grew up riding Iowa gravel roads near Newton. I moved to eastern North Carolina 20 years ago. EVERYTHING here is paved until I ride 4 hours west to the mountains.

I can ride to dirt in 30 minutes, but NO MOUNTAINS for at least a full day's drive.  :thumbsdown:  BTW, how are the mountains west of you? Been thinking I need to come up one of these days...