Good morning from Maryland, USA

(I cheated and copied this from my profile page) :)

Hello!  My name is David, and I'm originally a Michigan resident (if my user name didn't give it away). About 10 years ago though I joined the Air Force and that has moved me all over the place. I'm 33 years old and I've been riding since the age of 6 or 7. I started out on ATVs, then when I started working at a dealership my friends told me that the cool kids can't ride those, and they got me on a dirt bike. I was hooked. I worked at the dealer for about 7-8 years before joining the military, and even since joining I've worked part time at a few shops, and most recently became a MSF Ridercoach and I instruct at a local college. As much as I love motorcycles, I love the motorcycling community and pretty much all aspects of the sport. I've owned (way too many) about 25 different motorcycles ranging from CRF50's, to 250 & 450cc motocross bikes, a KTM 560SMR, Ducati Monster and Hyperstrada, a beautiful Aprilia RSV1000 Mille, BMW R1200GSA, and the most current rides....my KTM 1190 Adventure R and my wives and mine matching Honda Grom MSX125s. 

I currently live in Maryland, and as many motorcyclist as there are around here, I've had a hard time finding folks near my age group who ride in the Adventure genre. Although there seems to be some folks that have this style of bike, not many are keen on off-roading, and being an old dirt biker, the off-pavement stuff feels most at home. I'm sure many can relate to this feeling. So I normally find myself riding solo and I have built my current bike and camping setup accordingly. As far as actual "Adventure riding" trips, since getting into it last year with the GSA, I took two weeks to ride some of the COBDR and out in Moab. Most of my riding is weekend trips out to the George Washington National Forest to enjoy nature and the forest roads/trails out there. 

Phew...that was long winded. Thanks for reading and ride safe!

Dave

IMG_0197.JPG

IMG_0198.JPG

• Like 3

• Administrators

Welcome! I love Groms! When I took my MSF test, I chose the Grom. Stoppied that thing on the panic braking test! ;) I've been riding for over 30 years, but never got my endorsement until a few years ago. Class was boring for an experienced rider, but had to get my endorsement for once. Can you instruct for MSR part time, like on weekends? I've considered teaching myself.

Regardless, welcome to XLADV!

Hey Bryan, 

Thanks for the welcome. Those Grom's are a riot! I dare someone to ride one and not smile...I think it would be impossible. Ha-ha  My brother recently came to visit after we bought them, and we bundled up and took about a 20 mile ride and he got back an said that he enjoyed riding it more than his VTX1300. That cracked me up. 

But with the MSF thing, it is only a part-time gig for me. I have really only conducted my training and while doing that I stepped in a assisted some other instructors with their class and ran a few exercises. This next year I should start instructing for a local community college as well as on the Air Force base here and there. 

The way I got into it is that I called the MSF directly who put me in contact with Maryland's DMV and a gentlemen in charge or motorcycle training and licensing. He explained to me that in Maryland, most of the MSF classes are conducted for the state, but by local colleges. To apply to become an instructor, I had to contact a college (luckily I live about 5 miles from a community college that conducts the training), and apply for them to "sponsor" me. If they accepted, they cover the cost of the training with a agreement that I will instruct for them a few years. In my case, it'll be about 2 1/2-3 years before the USAF lets me move. Surprisingly, it was quite the application process and included not only their application forms, but a written letter about why I want to instruct, why I would be a good instructor, how do I feel about ATGATT, etc. I was selected, and then I started attending a class that was put on by the MSF/DMV in conjunction together. 

It was cool,...most of the time. Ha-ha   I will explain. 

First off, it is a loooong class. It was nearly every weekend and an occasional Thursday or Friday for 3 months. Once they provide you the materials for the class, you are expected to know the material prior to starting. A few folks didn't and it slowed the process up quite a bit. With that, regardless of your riding experience, you are expected to teach EXACTLY according to MSF rules, regulations and provided instructions; including verbiage and terminology. It doesn't sound like much, but try breaking life-long habits of silly things like saying "hit the kill switch" (Engine Cut-off switch), "grab the clutch" (squeeze the clutch level), and others. So, it was a very involved and time consuming process. Originally we had about 20 applicants, and only 4 of us made it all the way through. Many applicants refused to believe the curriculum and instruct by it, many failed to memorize the exercises, and you wouldn't believe the amount of folks who simply couldn't navigate the Basic RiderCourse time after time. It was sort of interesting and hard not to notice that a majority of the applicants who did not make it through were all mature riders who had been riding for years, and mostly came from the HD crowd. (Actually the HD stores sponsored applicants as well for their dealership lead classes). That's not to deter anyone from applying, but I just found it interesting. Often I heard, "well if I was on my Electra-Glide I could navigate this", or such other like terms. Many had issues with the figure eight and said it couldn't be done on a bigger bike, so I loaded the GSA up one day with a full load and had to prove them wrong.  :ride:

I will actually get paid by the college when I start instructing this year, but it isn't something to live off of because most schools have about 8-10 instructors who all work part time to cover the classes. They are held normally on Wed, Thur, or Friday evening for the first classroom stuff, and then the two days of range work on Sat and Sun. Most folks simply couldn't cover every single weekend, so what my school does is send out a schedule with all the classes and instructor requirements and we send back which days we can cover and they build a schedule. So, you do get paid, but it is full-time. From my understanding, wages vary on location. 

If you can commit to the instructional time and you're willing to change a few bad habits to instruct others, I'd say go for it! My compensation is actually quite well and I like that it keeps involved in the motorcycling community. 

• Like 1

(I cheated and copied this from my profile page) :)

Hello!  My name is David, and I'm originally a Michigan resident (if my user name didn't give it away). About 10 years ago though I joined the Air Force and that has moved me all over the place. I'm 33 years old and I've been riding since the age of 6 or 7. I started out on ATVs, then when I started working at a dealership my friends told me that the cool kids can't ride those, and they got me on a dirt bike. I was hooked. I worked at the dealer for about 7-8 years before joining the military, and even since joining I've worked part time at a few shops, and most recently became a MSF Ridercoach and I instruct at a local college. As much as I love motorcycles, I love the motorcycling community and pretty much all aspects of the sport. I've owned (way too many) about 25 different motorcycles ranging from CRF50's, to 250 & 450cc motocross bikes, a KTM 560SMR, Ducati Monster and Hyperstrada, a beautiful Aprilia RSV1000 Mille, BMW R1200GSA, and the most current rides....my KTM 1190 Adventure R and my wives and mine matching Honda Grom MSX125s. 

I currently live in Maryland, and as many motorcyclist as there are around here, I've had a hard time finding folks near my age group who ride in the Adventure genre. Although there seems to be some folks that have this style of bike, not many are keen on off-roading, and being an old dirt biker, the off-pavement stuff feels most at home. I'm sure many can relate to this feeling. So I normally find myself riding solo and I have built my current bike and camping setup accordingly. As far as actual "Adventure riding" trips, since getting into it last year with the GSA, I took two weeks to ride some of the COBDR and out in Moab. Most of my riding is weekend trips out to the George Washington National Forest to enjoy nature and the forest roads/trails out there. 

Phew...that was long winded. Thanks for reading and ride safe!

Dave

Dave,  Welcome to the Free State, and thank you for your service!

I do not currently have a "big" adventure bike...but do have something that is more than capable of hauling off some GWNF miles.  I'm in Ellicott City, 36 years old,  and if you were looking for company to hit some off-road me and my DRZ (pictured sans luggage) would be up for that.  (maybe send me a PM and we can make something happen?)   Also, I love the Groms--but I already have a 44 year old one!???(no insult intended)  

IMG_1483.JPG

IMG_1562.JPG

IMG_1426.JPG

Edited by kevvyd
  • Like 2

Thank you! Nice looking collection. I was trying to find some nice Trail 70/90's prior to getting the Grom's but those things are selling for more than what they were brand new! Ha-ha  We even looked at getting into some KLX110's but with the Grom's being street legal, it makes it easy to cruise and around down town La Plata, or the back roads around here. They are a riot. 

Also, nice Monster! I had an S2R 800 Monster way back when, and I loved that bike. There's just something about those Ducatis...Love'em!

And I would defiantly be up for some riding! I'll respond to the PM. 

• Like 1