High Sierra 2016

• Administrators

Event posted at the FB site yesterday (1/26/16)

General info:

(Limit 60 riders) In the heat of summer, experience the cooler temps (6800' elevation) and epic big bike riding in the High Sierra. Gourmet catered meals (two dinners), professional photography, firewood, beverages, hot showers, bathrooms, nearby hot springs, general store. Vendor-sponsored raffle prizes! All to benefit Lost For a Reason (lostforareason.org), a charity that assists children and families of the Navajo Nation (and beyond).

Trails for all abilities from scenic pavement to easy, intermediate and expert dirt. Dunderberg will not be labeled "easy" this time ;)

Highlight is riding to the 12,400' summit to see the White Mountain Research Station whose gate is open this one day per year.

Beat the traffic and be home Monday for Labor Day with your family.

Ticket link available around May; expect price of about $100. If you think this is "expensive" then add up the cost of three nights camping, firewood, food and beverages. You'll find this is a great value. ALL proceeds after expenses go to Lost For a Reason.

You are an adult paying for a good time at a campout and are free to explore the area on self-guided gps tracks on public roads and public trails at your own risk. XLADV, Lost For A Reason and Brown's Owens River Campground accept no liability for your safety. By signing up and paying for this event you are in acknowledgement of these terms.

Last year's report:

Official registration link

Official Sponsors:

Icon Raiden
Sena
ADVAddicts
Konflict Suspension
Wolfman Luggage
Malcolm Smith Racing (MSR)
GSI Outdoors

June Lake Brewing

AltRider

Into the Horizon (motorcycle rental)

Giant Loop

Leatt

Wunderlich USA

Riverside BMW

Who's in and paid so far?

Jason Raster
Scott Paul
Robert Day
Sean Farnan
Doug Printz
Jesse Kimball

Tony Crowder
Kevin Donoghue
Jonathan Dawson
Pat Bianchi

Steven Bushong
Shane Franklin (2)
Jafix (2)
Vuthy Lat
Westen Rogers
Elliott Gallahan
Benjamin Ahern
Cyndi Kelso

Kevin Carpenter
Mark Daniels
Loren McGrew

Donald Funes
Pablo Vera
DannyG
Rainer Runner (2)

Jim Gary
Brice Osborne
Danny Miller
Hing Yeung
Dennis Godwin
Rafe Hardy
Ron Grace
Vince Petretti
Alan Clinkingbeard
Kevin White

Mike Thomas
Ralph Wenger
Deejay Wolfie
Paul Gunther (2)
Kenneth Johnson
David Morgan
Ido ben zeev
Pat Thai
Ed Healy

Ed Plamm
Greg Graham
John Etchemendy
Dennis Hagerty
Arwi Odense
Kevin Ostrom (2)
Danny G
Tim Stewart
Neil Reynolds

Wait List:

GPSMatty
Denise D

• Like 1

• Administrators

learnings from last year...

Big oversight on my part not to have drink alternatives available.  Our caterer helped us remedy that but I will be sure to have things like water, lemonade, etc... an addition to some tasty craft beer.

Craft beer.  This seemed to be a hit.  My hope was to get some 395 IPA from Mammoth Brewing but they had a logistics issue at the brewery and were out.  We "got by" with Stone IPA and that seemed like a hit although I may not get the full sized keg given what was left over.  One of my concerns here was that we may have had riders abuse the free beer and end up causing a scene (too loud after most have gone to sleep) as well as being too hung over the next day to ride.  It appears we did not experience that, probably due to the type of people who came as well as it being 6800 feet in elevation and after a long day of riding (or the earplugs I wore to bed).  One of the big reasons I wanted some beer there is that based on experience at other rallies, riders will go out to buy their own and I didn't really want anyone riding in the dusk or dark of night around there (history of riders hitting cows).  Should we have any issues with abuse of the free beer then it's gone and those abusing it will be called out.  So if you have that one friend who is a "rager" then kindly not invite them to this event, m'kay?

The food (Classy Cowgirl) was a hit again.  Feel free to let us know on the registration form (later) if you have any food requirements like vegan or gluten-free.

Trails.  Dunderberg was apparently not one of the easy, scenic routes I thought it was.  Rob Day says it is very easy but did mention a section that is a bit tricky (probably the one people rode).  I will be sure to check that one out or change the difficulty level.  Silver Canyon was a LOT worse than I've ever seen it.  A few of us did make it up and I was pleasantly surprised to see Greg and Anya make it up that one steep section but many turned back.  All I can say is that I hope it's better this September but consider taking some time to catch your breath, have your riding buddies spot you and give it a try.  It looked really scary to me too but after trying it, I found it wasn't as hard as I thought and the rest was super easy.  Two-up is another story of course.

Lolligagging.  Ride leaders should stress a decent kickstands up time and enforce that.  Not ready by 9:00? You can catch up to us or find another group.  We left on Saturday at 9:50 and then lolligagged a bit more at the Mobil station in Lee Vining and then had to cut our ride short to get back to camp.  The year before we had an even larger group, did more difficult terrain near June Lake AND made it to Mammoth in time to suck down a brew and then take a dirt path back to camp.  With bright sunshine at 6:00 am, I see no reason for 2.5 hours to be ready by even 8:30 to be insufficient.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Eric,

Wifey and I just saw this and noticed the FB event page shows 52 attending already where you state a 50 rider max. Is FB to be believed as we'd love to sign up?

Wifey's fairly new to ADV and her GS650 but we tackled the AZBDR South to North last year and despite blood sweat and tears, it's the greatest adventure she's had. This event suggests there are varied trails for experience and while I'd love to blat with the boys on tougher terrain, I get my kicks on MANY other events for that and would love to get this on the calendar for us both.

LMK if there's 2 spots open and how to settle-up!

Cheers

Peter

Edited by GB.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Hey Eric,

Wifey and I just saw this and noticed the FB event page shows 52 attending already where you state a 50 rider max. Is FB to be believed as we'd love to sign up?

Wifey's fairly new to ADV and her GS650 but we tackled the AZBDR South to North last year and despite blood sweat and tears, it's the greatest adventure she's had. This event suggests there are varied trails for experience and while I'd love to blat with the boys on tougher terrain, I get my kicks on MANY other events for that and would love to get this on the calendar for us both.

LMK if there's 2 spots open and how to settle-up!

Cheers

Peter

Sorry I didn't see this earlier.  I'm going to get a registration link up probably in April or May.  Once that is up I'll be sure to update this space as well as the Facebook event page.  Stay tuned....

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Brother and I are registered for this ride, pretty stoked to join since I couldn't make it last year due to scheduling. What's the mileage on most of the tracks you guys do in this area? I'm guessing a bike with 150 mile range is more than enough, but want to be sure before we set any plans.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Brother and I are registered for this ride, pretty stoked to join since I couldn't make it last year due to scheduling. What's the mileage on most of the tracks you guys do in this area? I'm guessing a bike with 150 mile range is more than enough, but want to be sure before we set any plans.

I think 150 is reasonable but it depends on what routes you want to ride.  I will post last year's tracks shortly and it will have all the gas stations listed as waypoints.

• Like 1

On the not-so-big bikes, we'll be looking for fewer asphalt miles and more double track and fun dirt stuff.  

I'm gonna have to do some riding and some math to see what my guesstimated range will be on both bikes.

Fortunately, we have 4 days of dirt planned for the first weekend in May, so that'll be a great opportunity to test the fuel range.

Edited by FTL900
  • Like 2

• Administrators

Wohoo, wifey and I are in! Looking forwards to it on the big bikes. We'll be riding whatever the "casual/scenic" routes have to offer so wifey doesn't sh*t the bed...anyone else know they'll be riding the slow lane?

~ Cheers, Peter

Rob Day will be leading a cool loop of the mining district

• Like 1