High Sierra 2016

Hey folks!
This is going to be fun, and for me it's even more fun because this area has been my summer stomping grounds since I was a toddler.
As Eric mentioned, I'll be leading a very easy ride through the old mining districts. Lots of photo ops and historic stuff. Some shady stories, too...
This loop does include Dunderberg Pass. However, the first section (Jordan Basin to Copper Mountain) can easily be skipped if nobody wants that kind of challenge. There is an easier way up to Copper Mountain, or we can just skip it altogether and go straight to Dunderberg from the Virginia Lakes road.
I understand some riders had a tough time with the tricky section last year, and that's probably my fault for not explaining it better. Those are some tight, rocky switchbacks. Sorry to anyone who ended up on that section and was cursing my name...
But it is worth it to go into that area. If the tough climb is out, we can go in from the other side, which is much easier. It depends on how long we want to be out riding (and what time we start). Cutting out this section can save us a big chunk of time.
The rest of the route is easy, with an occasional moderate section. By moderate, I mean still relatively flat, but it might have a few rocks here and there, or a patch of sand. Not a long slog through a sand wash...just a sandy patch of road.
This route will bring us into Bodie the back way. If we want to poke around Bodie and take pics, we may want to get an early start on this loop so we have plenty of time.
Before Bodie, there are other places we'll be stopping for pics as well (Chemung Mine, Masonic, etc.) and a short little side trip to a cute little pond in the Dunderberg area if anyone is interested. This option has a bit of a challenge in that we might have to ride in a creekbed for 60-70 yards if the creek has washed over the trail. It's a beautiful spot, great for pics but not much else. This time of year, there will be little or no bugs.
After Bodie, we'll come out Cottonwood Canyon to Hwy167 for a short distance, then off road again towards the banks of Mono Lake to DeChambeau Ranch. This place is set up like a museum. It served all of the mining communities back in the day with meat, produce, feed, lumber, etc.
If we've kept up a decent pace to this point and have an hour or two left over, we can make the run up to Log Cabin Mine before heading back to camp.
But I expect we'll already be running a bit late due to stops. But who knows?
Best advice would be to get rolling early on this loop. That way we can decide on any or all options and still make it back before dark.
Bring a camera...the photo ops will be amazing. Especially in the Conway Summit/Dunderberg/Green Creeks areas.
Looking forward to this.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrators

This worked so well at the KTM Adventure Rally last year so we will be using REVER for this year's tracks. If you haven't already signed up, go to Rever.co (co, not com) create an account then scroll down in your dashboard to Groups then click on the Group Rides tab and search for "XLADV High Sierra." You'll see the tracks there and can either use your smartphone to track live or download them to your computer to use with a standard GPS device. If you have any questions, feel free to ask here. Not all the tracks have been loaded but there are a few there now you can look at. Rever has around 50,000 installed their app so far and I've used it for over a year now. I typically use it more to record my ride but you can do both if you like.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have fresh suspenders on the 950 back from Konflict for this trip,  looking forward to abusing them!! 

I've not used Rever before but I like the idea.  Maybe I'll go in and try to put together a track for Wyman Canyon, one of my favorite roads in the area and great way off the mountain after visiting WRMS

Greg

Edited by greedyg76
  • Like 1

• Administrators

I'll have fresh suspenders on the 950 back from Konflict for this trip,  looking forward to abusing them!! 

I've not used Rever before but I like the idea.  Maybe I'll go in and try to put together a track for Wyman Canyon, one of my favorite roads in the area and great way off the mountain after visiting WRMS

Greg

I have a Wyman Canyon track I can add if you like.  I've done it before on the GSA and it was a bit tricky and found it took a lot longer (and more gas) to get back over to Big Pine.

here's video proof :

I came out of Titus Canyon one day in Death Valley and met this guy with his wife on the back of a rented GS.  He said he wanted to buy a dual sport bike and maybe do some trails up closer to where he lives.  He said he saw a video on some big bikes doing Wyman Canyon and that got him to pull the trigger.  I was like "ha ha!  That's my video!" ;)

• Administrators
Everyone excited about the ride in just 5 weeks?

I heard from the camp and they want us to be sure and pack it in as tight as we can; at least 4 tents to a site and some of the larger sites will have more. The first RV or trailer is welcome to park in the center facing north/south as a wind break for our meals. Other larger vehicles will need to park in a storage area you'll find once you get there. They also wanted us to know they will not have their grill in operation but that shouldn't be an issue for our dinner Friday and Saturday night.

I saw a few people recently join the event on Facebook but unless you've already paid or contacted me personally, you're not signed up for the ride and it is sold out. There are 60 official slots and then a handful or so of unofficial slots for myself & Michelle, some vendors and a few special guests.

• Like 1

Excited ?  I'm pumped - I love that area :ride:
My plan is to leave early Thurs morn (9-1) out of the IE, to beat the heat out across the desert.  Anyone with similar plans is welcome to join me.  I'll slab it up to Bishop and then hit Casa Diablo up to Benton Crossing.  Details as we get closer
Greg

Edited by greedyg76

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Just saw that there was a fire near the meet up.   Does this affect any of the trails? 

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4927/

yes the Bald Mountain area is just north of camp by about 10 miles.  Looks like this fire is being contained and with roughly 2 and a half weeks to go, I think they'll have a handle on it.

• Administrators

Weather link: https://www.wunderground.com/q/locid:USCA1625;loctype:1

Highs 75-80, Lows 38-45 which is typical.  Sometimes it can get in the low 90's in the day and last year the morning low we hit 18 but it warms up very quickly once the sun comes up.

You definitely want a decent sleeping bag (mine is 15 degree) as well as an insulated pad.  I slept on an uninsulated air mattress ($10 Target special) and regretted it.  A knit head covering of some kind is a good idea too.  It's generally not that cold at bed time (~10 pm) but by dawn it gets quite chilly.

Don't forget swim trunks for the hot springs!  A towel for the shower too as well as shampoo and soap.

IMG_0459.JPG

Eric, had a "Super-Dave" moment at ACP MX track over the weekend where the 500 violently threw me and I've spent the weekend in the hospital.

Damage is a broken collarbone and 2 spinal fractures...sufficed to say I'm not feeling too sexy right about now and for the next 2-3 months ahead of PT.

Keep the moolah for this ride as its for a great cause, but please feel free to "donate" mine and wifeys spots to anyone you choose.

Sorry for the shenanigans, truly bummed that we'll be missing the ride and the people...

I'll troll for upcoming xladv rides as the new to me 950SE is begging to be flogged .

In the meantime I'm going to enjoy an oxy fueled haze while my temple self heals...

Cheers

Peter