Dessert: pie or brownies/cookies
Saturday: roast pork tenderloin
green beans
rolls/butter
scalloped potatoes
tossed greens
dessert: pie or brownies/cookies

• Administrators

Tracks will be posted soon.  Definitely by Aug 29.  I added some more easy tracks, re-labelled a hard track as intermediate and added a few hard tracks.  Dennis and I will be doing some scouting Thursday for even some more tracks.

I say this every year but listen up... if you have decided that you like riding big bikes in the dirt as an adventure rider then at some point you're going to need to get a gps unit and learn how to use it.  This is a good chance to do that.  There are lots of twists and turns on these tracks and you can't always count on someone being there to show you which way the group went.  We always have a problem with that.  If you have tracks then you know where to go if you get separated.

We will meet at 8:00 am both Fri and Sat for a riders meeting where you'll raise your hand for whatever types of trails you want from A, B or C.  Kickstands up at 8:30.  No lolligagging until 9:45 like last year.  Lots of cool trails we can ride but will have to cut short if people can't be ready in time.

Also, I need a volunteer to pick up beer in June Lake Friday afternoon around 4:00 pm.

• Administrators
Expectations for High Sierra...

Please everyone do your best to be on your best behavior. We have a good reputation at Brown's and want to keep it that way. Due to the elevation and lack of humidity you'll probably not be interested in drinking more than a beer or two so don't try and make it a competitive event. You'll be too tired from riding is my bet to stay up much past 10:00 pm.

Quiet time is 10:00 pm to 7:00 am that means keep your voices down, radios, generators, etc... must all be quiet by then. No generators or bikes started before 7:00 am.

The hill at the south end of camp looks tempting but please don't attempt to ride your bike to the top of it. You can hike it if you like.

Keep your speed down at camp. No wheelies, burnouts, power slides, etc...

There are lots of cows (dark brown) and deer so try your best not to ride after twilight unless you absolutely have to and using extreme caution. The reason I say this is that riders have hit cows before and ended up in the hospital (and paying for a dead cow). If you are driving or riding into camp in the dark then you may want to bring it down to about 30 mph. It's only 7 miles from 395 so it won't take you that long.

The cows are pretty vocal so I like sleeping with earplugs. Not a bad idea.

Don't forget your swimming suit for the hot springs. Towel, soap, shampoo, flip flops. Shower tokens from the general store are $5 I think. I will have some in my pocket for those who come after the store closes.

Tracks will be posted soon.  Definitely by Aug 29.  I added some more easy tracks, re-labelled a hard track as intermediate and added a few hard tracks.  Dennis and I will be doing some scouting Thursday for even some more tracks.

I say this every year but listen up... if you have decided that you like riding big bikes in the dirt as an adventure rider then at some point you're going to need to get a gps unit and learn how to use it.  This is a good chance to do that.  There are lots of twists and turns on these tracks and you can't always count on someone being there to show you which way the group went.  We always have a problem with that.  If you have tracks then you know where to go if you get separated.

We will meet at 8:00 am both Fri and Sat for a riders meeting where you'll raise your hand for whatever types of trails you want from A, B or C.  Kickstands up at 8:30.  No lolligagging until 9:45 like last year.  Lots of cool trails we can ride but will have to cut short if people can't be ready in time.

I should be at camp by mid morning on Thurs and might take the opportunity to scout a back route up to Coyote Flats that I've been thinking about for a while.

Sunday, I imagine a lot of us will be heading up to WMRS since the gate will be open for the last time this year.

http://www.wmrc.edu/files/open-gate-2016.pdf

Edited by greedyg76

• Administrators
GPS tracks are ready! I'd rather these not be shared or reposted please. And remember, this is a campout you've registered for, not guided rides. You're free to explore the area's public roads using this file but you are all acting as individuals out for a pleasant ride, not on a paid tour. This is what you tell any BLM rangers if stopped, m'kay? ;)

You're free to ride in groups as big or small as you like but I'd prefer no one ride alone and groups bigger than 10 become an issue. We have a few people volunteering to lead rides of all levels. If you're on a small bike you may even want to scout gpsxchange(.com) for some more interesting single track in the area as these tracks are geared more for big bikes. Brice has a small bike and knows the area well.

These are tracks not routes. All tracks filtered to <500 points. If you have a Garmin 60CSx like me, you can only upload 20 tracks and I think there are 24 here, so consider that. Tracks are labeled A, B and C for difficulty with A as advanced, B intermediate, C easy scenic.
Plenty of waypoints are here for camp, gas, etc...

Food options: Tom's Place, Mammoth Lakes, June Lake, Lee Vining (Sat morning), Bishop, etc... You may want to plan to make your own breakfast at camp and have bars for eating on the trail but many places to stop for lunch. Tom's Place is great for breakfast and not far from camp. Whoa Nellie Deli in Lee Vining at the gas station (yes, a gas station) some of the best food in the whole area and a good option Saturday morning.

If you're passing through June Lake around lunchtime then please stop at June Lake Brewing company. I put a waypoint for them in the tracks. They've donated some Pale Ale for our event so be sure to thank them and let them know you're with the High Sierra event.

The highlight of this event and the reason it's on the weekend it is is that the UC White Mountain Research Center opens their gate only one day a year and that's the Sunday we'll be there. Sunday morning we typically pack up and head up there. You can park your vehicle/trailers at the Laws Train Museum (waypoint) in Bishop on Silver Canyon road. Silver Canyon is a bit tricky but I did see Greg and Anya make it up fine last year. There are a few water crossings that are easy but take your time and don't blast through them. We had a rider bust a collar bone last year after his front tire slipped on a wet rock. After those tricky parts it's very easy up there and White Mountain road south becomes paved and an easier way to get off the mountain. At the top you can check out the view, hike up another 2 miles to the top of the mountain but they don't have an open house this year so try not to disturb them or knock on their doors. Pass cars/trucks slowly so as not to kick up rocks. Always yield to uphill traffic.

You should have knobby tires on your bike unless you plan on riding only pavement. Hard panniers are best left at camp. Airing down off road really helps with traction. I don't go under 30 psi to protect my rims but others do. Take your time. Enjoy the scenery. Keep the rider behind you in your rear view mirror and wait at turns to be sure they see which way you go.

Totally forgot about WMRS, thanks for the reminder. I will be going there also.

I didn't know if a Thursday ride was planned. If not, I will ride out of Lancaster that morning.

Dennis and I are headed up Wed and will be scouting Thursday.  Back at camp at roughly 4pm

@warpedrotor 

depending on what time you plan to leave Lancaster Thurs morn, we could possibly meet up at the Mobile at the 14/395 junction if you want.  I'll be on the orange 950 adv (hard to miss)...  I'll probably be rolling thru there between 7:30-8.  Lemme know - Greg

Anyone else riding out of the IE early Thurs morning ?

• Like 1