Suzuki recall for 2013 and 2014 650 models

Glad to hear your service went well.  Good to know about the Ca. law, I was unaware. My 2014 had less than 2,400 miles on it so they are in the process of replacing the parts. I hate having the engine torn down since it was working great but it had to be done. You would have thought Suzuki would have sent a buffer shipment of these parts to all the dealers so the dealers wouldn't have to order and wait for the parts to come in after getting the bike. So the customer has to go without the bike for 5-7 working days so Suzuki doesn't have to front the $300.00 in parts! This is not cool!

Yeah that feeling of taking a factory assembled motor apart early in its life just isn't a great feeling. We all want to trust that they'll do a good job and all will be well when we get it back but there's that nagging suspicion of "what if ...".

The longer you ride it without issue after you get it back will dispel that uneasy feeling. I hope all goes well.

Ride safe!

• 5 months later...

BUYER BEWARE / Product report. I used to have a 2012 VStrom 650 and installed a TouraTech aluminum skid plate on it and had nothing but problems. I'm not bashing the product it was just the way it mounted on the Strom. What happened is every time it bottomed out or even barely brushed anything, it would push back into the oil filter and if you really hit something it will crush it (believe me I know). The back of the plate was on a movable mount and no matter how much you tightened it, didn't matter. And the front mount was basically worthless on a rubber bushing type set up that was very flimsy. There's probably not much that can be done, the oil filter is in a terrible position so be very careful off-road where clearance is a concern.