Mohave trail to oooh squirrel......

Orbel and I decided to do a quick overnight run on the Mohave Trail.  Originally we were taking the midsize enduro’s until I found a mess of brass in the oil of my XR a week before the trip.  A few minutes of talk and we swapped some fresher rubber on the big bikes to run the ride anyway!!!

Left L.A. nice and early in the morning, so early that Starbucks wasn’t even open yet!!!!

Up the hwy to Bakersfield and into the dirt.  We started down the trail and found some nice Sandy Bits before we got to Afton Canyon.

DSCN2466_zpsk1gvjmrx.jpg

DSCN2473_zpsosydbqcp.jpg

Dodged some Trains

DSCN2487_zpsyyik7jo0.jpg

DSCN2484_zpscyuje3fy.jpg

Then forded some water

DSCN2476_zpsfxmxxb31.jpg

DSCN2482_zpsl5zyhnhv.jpg

And more sand

DSCN2469_zps0szt3ryk.jpg

DSCN2488_zpsfzjpjazf.jpg

Across the dry lakebed and into Baker for Lunch.  Then a shiny squirrel in the form of some Lava Tubes took us off route into the Mohave Preserve.  One thing led to another and we were at the northern end of the preserve and found a great place to stay the night!

DSCN2499_zpsumcmyxnn.jpg

DSCN2506_zpsuy8rq6kp.jpg

A little exploring in the morning before making our way south

DSCN2516_zpsxqgrts1s.jpg

DSCN2512_zpsampkjh1y.jpg

DSCN2525_zps7dfqaa3d.jpg

Then back on the Mohave Trail just before the mailbox I crested a rise a bit faster than I should have and when the bottom hit I thought I missed the peg after my right boot bounced off the dirt.  After a couple seconds of looking for the peg I realized something a bit worse had happened!

DSCN2526_zps6vsut9q7.jpg

Snapped right through the mounting hole

DSCN2541_zpsqcwoeg3d.jpg

Found the other peg starting to oval out, so some Fastway pegs are on the way. 

Swapped the passenger peg onto the riders spot and it was only a few miles back to the pavement sitting on the seat since the passenger peg wasn’t a perfect fit.

DSCN2529_zpsyypg4hfb.jpg

Then back to Baker for lunch and just cruising home on the hwy with a gimpy peg

DSCN2530_zpsxlcubwtm.jpg

DSCN2537_zpscvjcq5ni.jpg

Was a great trip, cut a little short by the dodgy footpeg, but we both enjoyed the ride, scenery and meeting a few new people.

• Like 6