• Administrators

Michelin AnakeeWild2015 EMa2191

Everyone likes a tire thread, huh?

I saw these new tires from Michelin a few years ago and they've finally made it to the US.  Dimitrios did a review already you should check out but what's interesting is he reports something like 9,000 miles on his rear tire (and still going?).  I heard elsewhere reports of 6,000 miles, 7,000 miles and another that said "expect double the life of a TKC-80."

What's interesting is a guy today on Facebook's "BMW R1200 GS Adventure (motorcycle)" page claims to have only gotten 1,000 miles so far and "the rear is about half done...  I think 2k is going to be the limit."

I spoke to another guy who tested these and he's not willing to go on the record yet but his feedback was "love the tires but they don't last as long as I thought."  I don't doubt Michelin makes a great tire either but I'm wondering how many real life riders are going to see such high mileage numbers?

What I'd love to see is some more reviews from you riders on what your experience is?  I'm about done with my second set of the Vee Rubber VRM 401's so maybe I'll order a set of the new Anakee Wild's and tell you for myself.

If you've ridden these new Anakee Wilds then do us all a favor and leave your review here so we all can benefit.

Muchas Gracias!

• Administrators

One thing I found interesting about this tire is that they are classifying it as a 50/50 tire. It certainly doesn't look 50/50 to me based on this comparison to two other 50/50 tires (Heidenau K60, Motoz Tractionator GPS).

What do you think?
fabac6fdb7e36dec797b75323aa2b81f.jpg

Consider also how noisy they are reported to be. Would you expect a 50/50 tire to be that noisy?

I was told last year it's a 70/30 (off/on) tire and my suspicion is they are marketing it as a 50/50 because the average Starbucks rider might be scared away by a 70/30 or even 60/40 tire.  They look like they'd rip off road even better than the TKC-80.

To me these Anakee Wilds look much more like the TKC-80 (60 off/40 on) and the Vee Rubber VRM 401 (60 off/40 on).

• Administrators

One thing I found interesting about this tire is that they are classifying it as a 50/50 tire. It certainly doesn't look 50/50 to me based on this comparison to two other 50/50 tires (Heidenau K60, Motoz Tractionator GPS).

What do you think?

fabac6fdb7e36dec797b75323aa2b81f.jpg

Consider also how noisy they are reported to be. Would you expect a 50/50 tire to be that noisy?

I was told last year it's a 70/30 (off/on) tire and my suspicion is they are marketing it as a 50/50 because the average Starbucks rider might be scared away by a 70/30 or even 60/40 tire.  They look like they'd rip off road even better than the TKC-80.

To me these Anakee Wilds look much more like the TKC-80 (60 off/40 on) and the Vee Rubber VRM 401 (60 off/40 on).

50% marketing on Michelin's behalf and 50% wishful thinking on ours. ;)

• Like 2

I think that Dimitri was on his second tire at that 9000 mile mark. He got around 6-7k. I did get 8K on my first rear and have not come close to wearing out a front. It is considered 50/50 because it works equally well on the dirt and the street and give far superior performance to any other tire on the market. You can find tire that work as well on the dirt or the street but none that come close to working as well at both.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I think that Dimitri was on his second tire at that 9000 mile mark. He got around 6-7k. I did get 8K on my first rear and have not come close to wearing out a front. It is considered 50/50 because it works equally well on the dirt and the street and give far superior performance to any other tire on the market. You can find tire that work as well on the dirt or the street but none that come close to working as well at both.

How's the front on the street in terms of turn-in? I run TKC80 and it doesn't drop into turns from on center all that great. I does it, but not very confidence inspiring... Sort of notchy if you will. And, past 65 mph, they just don't "feel" happy. Again, they do all I ask, but wondering how much "better" the Mishies are. Performance and feel are more important to me than sheer mileage.

• Administrators

Id' heard Chad from ADVDesigns say that yesterday in his video...

Would you say you do more dirt than pavement?  I hear "50% longer life than a TKC-80" and for me that would be a max of 4800 miles on a 17" rear on the old GSA (significantly less on the new LC models) or 3900 miles on an 18" rear on my 990.  I'd actually be ecstatic with that!  I'm not even cherry picking here but the first two accounts I hear online are 1,000-1,150 miles and half done.  I do realize there's a wide range of how tires are used and the old saying "YMMV" still holds but I hear a half dozen of us GS Giants getting 6k+ miles and I think to myself, well these guys aren't airing them up high and making Starbucks runs; they're really abusing them.  I'd really like to see more data points come in to get a true feel for the range of this new tire.

As to their competence on the street, I'm actually hearing many more (more than 2) accounts of them being squirrelly, not tracking well, skittish in wet corners, and howling really loud.  That is cause for concern too and makes me want to see more regular riders test them.

For my style of riding them seem perfect; a high mileage tire with great off road traction.  I don't give a damn about noise.  I can't wait to try a set but right now they aren't making them in my size.

This is clearly new innovation we're seeing and makes for great discussion. ;)

• Like 1

How's the front on the street in terms of turn-in? I run TKC80 and it doesn't drop into turns from on center all that great. I does it, but not very confidence inspiring... Sort of notchy if you will. And, past 65 mph, they just don't "feel" happy. Again, they do all I ask, but wondering how much "better" the Mishies are. Performance and feel are more important to me than sheer mileage.

If you really get down and push the tire on certain paved surfaces it will slid a little. I personally have not had a tire on my GS that does not. I have ran the tire from coast to coast at 85/90 with no feeling of any instability outside of hydro-plaining in about 12 inches of water in which the tires hooked right back up and on down the road after I nearly pissed myself. I am very confident that if you put this tire up against all others with the same test conditions you will be sold. I have ran mine on my 2014 1200GSA and they elevate the fun factor in a big way on that bike. 

• Like 1

Id' heard Chad from ADVDesigns say that yesterday in his video...

Would you say you do more dirt than pavement?  I hear "50% longer life than a TKC-80" and for me that would be a max of 4800 miles on a 17" rear on the old GSA (significantly less on the new LC models) or 3900 miles on an 18" rear on my 990.  I'd actually be ecstatic with that!  I'm not even cherry picking here but the first two accounts I hear online are 1,000-1,150 miles and half done.  I do realize there's a wide range of how tires are used and the old saying "YMMV" still holds but I hear a half dozen of us GS Giants getting 6k+ miles and I think to myself, well these guys aren't airing them up high and making Starbucks runs; they're really abusing them.  I'd really like to see more data points come in to get a true feel for the range of this new tire.

As to their competence on the street, I'm actually hearing many more (more than 2) accounts of them being squirrelly, not tracking well, skittish in wet corners, and howling really loud.  That is cause for concern too and makes me want to see more regular riders test them.

For my style of riding them seem perfect; a high mileage tire with great off road traction.  I don't give a damn about noise.  I can't wait to try a set but right now they aren't making them in my size.

This is clearly new innovation we're seeing and makes for great discussion. ;)

Have not had any "squirreliness what so ever. They are noisy. Like you say, who gives a shit. If I were going to go on a trip that was mostly pavement I would run a Tourance or something similar. Were my riding is usually70-80% dirt I find these tires to be just what I have been hoping for for a very long time. They will have your size soon Eric.

• Like 1

One thing I found interesting about this tire is that they are classifying it as a 50/50 tire. It certainly doesn't look 50/50 to me based on this comparison to two other 50/50 tires (Heidenau K60, Motoz Tractionator GPS)

....snip

In the tire business, 50/50 means the percentage of tread surface relative to the percentage of available space for tread surface.

The Anakee Wild tires use 50% of the available space available.

The tires you show in comparison are not 50/50.

The hard part in a 50/50 tire is managing heat and wear without compromising traction.

This is where the Anakee Wilds shine.

Relevant to the mileage variation, differences occur due to bike weight, rider weight, luggage weight and right wrist "weight"... I bet I could shred these Anakee Wilds on my HP2 Enduro in under 1000 miles if I wanted to.

Edited by Visian
  • Like 1

Lance, what do you think of the sidewalls?  The TKC-80s are notoriously soft.

The sidewalls om these seem to be of medium stiffness. The 170's have a very short sidewall and a huge tread profile. A decade of R&D have gone into these tires and it shows.

• Like 1