• Administrators

In the tire business, 50/50 means the percentage of tread surface relative to the percentage of available space for tread surface.

The Anakee Wild tires use 50% of the available space available.

The tires you show in comparison are not 50/50.

The hard part in a 50/50 tire is managing heat and wear without compromising traction.

This is where the Anakee Wilds shine.

Relevant to the mileage variation, differences occur due to bike weight, rider weight, luggage weight and right wrist "weight"...

From Heidenau's website:

The acclaimed K60 Scout Dual Sport tire.

From the Pacific Powersports website (US distributor of Motoz)

With regards to YMMV, I don't know Lance, Dimitrios or Rafe to be the ultra-careful Starbucks type riders who are easy on the throttle.  Michelin is saying "50% more than a TKC-80" but I don't know anyone who's gotten 4,000 miles off a TKC-80 rear, especially riding an LC GS/A.  I'm not doubting they're more durable, I'm just skeptical of the claims for a few more weeks until I hear more reports in is all.  I know at least one premier rider who's still evaluating these.  When he publishes his report then I'll put a lot more faith in the claims.

• Administrators

Two possibilities I just thought of...

One is that Michelin tested two different production lots and the GS Giants got the harder lot while they went into production with the softer lot.  I say that because Motoz did the same thing

The other is Michelin is being overly conservative and the real mileage premium over the TKC-80 is more like 100-125% rather than 50%.  But then that doesn't explain the experiences of these other reviews out there showing the 2500-3750 miles.

It's fine.  This is all a great discussion.   I'm sure we'll just find out over time and then there will be another new tire to banter about.

50/50 in the tire business is one thing, web site marketing copy is another.

• Administrators

There appears to be some confusion here too on the longevity claims.  My understanding is that the official claims of longevity in print were just 50% over the TKC-80 and they are cited by the independent lab they tested it with but even Zack Courts says in person they're claiming 100% or double.

Owen says the engineer there told him to expect 6k miles off his rear which is double what he typically gets from a TKC-80.

• Administrators

Joshua Jones of Las Vegas Big Adventure Riders reporting a customer got just 2800 miles off a rear Anakee Wild.

That's nine accounts now:

• 1,000 miles and half gone (ADVrider)
  • 1,150 miles and half gone (ADVrider)
  • 1,242 miles and a third gone (BMWmotos)
  • 4,000 miles (our anonymous friend)
  • 2,800 miles (Joshua Jones' customer)
  • 2,000-2,500 miles (Nathan Millward)
  • 2,000 (South African via Nathan Millward)
  • 2,200 miles (James Crawford, Facebook's BMW R1200 GS Adventure page)
  • 2350 miles (Jeff Cledus Payne on GS Giants FB page)

• Administrators

Nathan Millward just put this video up yesterday describing the new Anakee Wilds.  He says at about the 5:05 mark that he only expects "two to two and a half thousand miles" from them.  I asked him a follow up question as to what his basis is for saying that.  I'll post it once I hear.

• Administrators

Nathan's response

Hey Eric. I'd say for certain they're a 50/50 tyre. I'd even go as far and say they're more 60/40 off road. They really are much better - in my opinion - off road than the TKC80s I had on previously. Much more grip and confidence. The downside is the road noise which I guess has come as a consequence from the extra air between the blocks. I'll certainly put up with the noise - and am already adjusting to it - because the gains in off road confidence is more than worth it. Superficially, they also look really aggressive on the bike. In terms of mileage, I'm basing that 2k anticipated figure on the wear I and others I ride with get from their TKC80s. I got about 2500 miles out of the last 80 rear and the blocks do feel a lot softer on the Wild, so it's an assumption that they'll last similar or maybe less than the 80s. A chap responded to an earlier post about them to say he'd been testing them in South Africa and 2k miles was his limit with the tyre. Personally I think 6k miles is just marketing bluff. To get that sort of mileage out of any tyre on these big adv bikes is good going, so to get that many out of these Wilds I personally think will be a miracle. I mean, if you ride them any distance on tarmac they'll surely soon square off, and if you ride them off road with any hint of aggression then you're going to get them wearing rather quickly as well. But we'll see. If they last 6k miles they'll be the best tyre ever. I know Heidenaus last that distance and longer, but in my opinion aren't a patch on these for off road grip.. I haven't tried the Mitas yet though and maybe the compromise is a Wild on the front and maybe a K60 on the rear or something like that.

• Administrators

Tested by a rider in France:

Michel Boucanier Test Wild ... beaucoup de qualités et ...beaucoup de défauts sauf sur terrain sec. ce pneu n'est pas prêt et nettement moins bon que le TKC80. smile emoticon
Test Wild... Translated: A lot of qualities and... A lot of flaws except on dry ground. This tire is not ready and much less good than the tkc80. smile emoticon

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

James Crawford confirms today 2,200 miles although if this is the final photo on the left I'd say he has a bit more left
https://instagram.com/p/BEyLMG6Mq9I/

His post from FB:

"2200 miles on the rear Anakee Wild tyre. Just got a new one put on as it was down to 2mm in the centre. It lasted longer than expected but it was more than half worn for at least 1200 miles, reducing its off road grip for quite a large percentage of its life."

• 2 months later...

This thread has me worried.

I'm riding a 1200 Triumph Explorer, with passenger and right about at the 489lb limit.  I have a set of Wilds waiting for us in Spokane to replace the Anakee III I have on now that are just about gone.

Here's a question for you all: I have the set of Wilds, and I have a new rear Anakee III there in Spokane. The front Anakee III I currently have on has less than 2K miles on it.

We are headed to Anchorage via the Cassiar Highway and may attempt the Dempster Highway to Inuvik YT.  It's about 2000 miles of nearly all paved road to Dawson City.

I was hoping I could get from Spokane to Anchorage on the Anakee Wilds but from what I'm reading I might not even have enough tire left to do the Dempster both ways and then another 1200 miles to Anchorage. It would be roughly a total of 4000-4500 miles.

Any thoughts?  We leave from Hamilton MT next week. Have already come 3000 miles from PA where I got the bike as a gift from my son. (Nice Kid!!!!).

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Ron

• Like 1

• Administrators

Wow.  Thanks for posting up, Ron.

On the one hand I'm thinking just air it up nice and high and go very easy on the throttle.  On the other I'm thinking why not just strap the fresh Wild to the back and put it on when you get to Anchorage or have it sent up there?

My passenger/wife is not happy going para legal speeds. Fortunately at 70 years of age if find it a bit less irksome to more or less comply with her wishes. So our riding will be fairly conservative - this will also be to conserve on fuel.

Our route is from Spokane WA, to Watson Lake (where the sign post forest is) to Dawson City. That is about 2000 miles and nearly all paved. IF we decide to ride the Dempster Highway that will be another 900 or so miles round trip on gravel. Then back to Dawson and over to Eagle AK over Top the World highway which is another 200 or so miles of gravel. From there the rest is pretty much paved on down to our destination of Anchorage - Actually Kenai where I will be leaving the bike with a friend. We live in a remote village on Kodiak Island where I keep a KLR 650 to bang around our 7 miles of potholed dirt roads. Sorta keeps my hand in between rides up on the main land.

Anyway - sure wish there was more folks out there who have done this kind of riding on those Wilds. I am tempted to just put the Anakee III on the back and hope it will serve on any gravel we go on - at least as long as things don't get too wet. I know it will last the whole 4000 to 4500 miles. Sure would like a more off road oriented tire for the long gravel stretches though!

Thanks for the feedback!