Central Florida Withlacoochee National Forest Run 4/24/16

• Administrators

I'm about 3 months post carpel tunnel surgery, so I decide to go for a ride today to see what my money bought. Zero numbness, but my palm is still a little sore post ride. But, the whole ride, no pain, no tingling, etc... HAPPY CAMPER!

gratuitus_selfie.jpg

I got a little lost at one point, so I decided to stop to check my "position".... ;) I love my wife; clean mind didn't get it. Or, I just suck at humor. Eh, who cares, made me smile. )

missionary_rd.jpg

Since the hand was holding up and off-road was just 15 minutes away, I decided to get some dirt under my tires... Well, sand... Actually, found some mud and had to drag her out, but I stopped before I buried her up to the hubs, and yes, I was alone. That would have been double derp.

Yes, the video sucks! I flipped my Galaxy S6 around on its Ram mount that i use for nav. So, it's a bit low and the X cradle isn't stable enough for video apparently. Hey, I least I didn't drown out that killer sounding Triumph triple & Yoshi with some rap music! ;) Jeeps run these trails, so I have to take it easy around the tighter corners.. Sucks, I'd love to have wrung her out a bit more...

From the video, here's the water crossing: 

river_II.jpg

Gorgeous place!

Here's video attempt 2 of some Central FL sugar sand... Youtubers said it's still being processed for "shake" but lets face it, nuttin fixing that crappy video! ;) And, in a rough section, the phone pivoted forward, just before I got to chase a wild turkey off the trail. You can hear me say, "Turkey!". 

trail_opening_arai_II.jpg

xladv_TT_freinds.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Bryan- Glad you got the hand fixed- You told me it's been a problem for awhile. Definitely looks Central Florida! Let's plan a ride soon- 

Well, one problem address, on to the next!  :mellow:

Up for a cruise this Saturday? Early am quicky breakfast somewhere? I keep riding Richloam, but mostly the trails. I'll ping John, the dude on the KLR to see if he's like to come. You've met him... He helped us pull that 1200GS out of that water hole.

coffee_crossing.jpg

I'd like to be back by noon-ish, both b/c of the heat, but to min. impact on family time.

• Administrators

KLR John is in, so now we just need to figure out where to ride, where to meet up, time, etc... Me? I want to ride as much off-road as possible. It's been dry, so many of the Richloam trails are passable. Open to other places than Richloam, it's just want I know.

• 3 months later...
  • Administrators

I'm sure you've been to Wiregrass trail in Ocala, it was one of my favorites.

You know, I've not been up there yet. On the list. Still stuff to explore in/around Withlacoochee. I'm sure I'll head up to Ocala this winter, when the weather is awesome. We've had so much rain in the last 10 days, a lot of the trails are flooded, making for too many dead end trails. The 4X4 crowd with 38" superswamper tires make some nasty holes in the water crossings. Ask me how I know (decide to bomb a water crossing last spring). ;)

• Like 1

You know, I've not been up there yet. On the list. Still stuff to explore in/around Withlacoochee. I'm sure I'll head up to Ocala this winter, when the weather is awesome. We've had so much rain in the last 10 days, a lot of the trails are flooded, making for too many dead end trails. The 4X4 crowd with 38" superswamper tires make some nasty holes in the water crossings. Ask me how I know (decide to bomb a water crossing last spring). ;)

Wiregrass is a 17 mile sugar sand whoop loop probably better suited for a dedicated trail or mx bike. But, there are lots of fire trails and dirt roads around that would be ok for the Triumph. I wanna say the area further North (Delancy East & West I think?) is a pretty good camping area with similar conditions. I really think you should consider an enduro down there, it would open up lots of options close to Tampa like Croom in Brooksville or Florida Track & Trail down near Ft Meyers. Croom is actually a pretty fun place, just make sure you go during the week when it's not a zoo. 

Don't feel too bad about not being out here, I'll be wishing I was there with you when I'm ass deep in snow!!

Oh yeah Bosch you mentioned Georgia. One of my favorite spots is Durhamtown Plantation, I actually plan on driving there in November to ride some mx with my Fla Crew. Yeah that's right I'm going to drive 1500 miles East away from great riding in my back yard, crazy huh? FYI - I've never seen an ADV bike there but it would be a lot of fun. Definitely check it out if you haven't been there, you'll thank me I promise!!