Uni Flow Tiger 800 Pre-Filter & BMC Performance Air Filter Install

• Administrators

Anyone running one of these? Like it? It replaces the underseat snorkel, acting as an air filter pre-filter. We all know how much of a joy it is to access the air filter on the Tiger.  :thumbsdown: I have one coming, so I'll post up how it goes and best of all, how it works.

aRrLkz-1.jpg

aRrLkz-2.jpg

To be fair, the stock filter does a great job. But, if I can clean the Uni vs. the main filter 2-3X:1, well worth 30 so bucks.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3351/PN-420-0870/Unifilter-Pre-Filter-Kit-Triumph-Tiger-800-XC

• Like 1

• Administrators

I used one while I had my XC, I liked it as it was much easier to clean and oil compared to the air filter. Be ready for the install however, you need the hands of an 8 year old girl.

Do you have any idea how much it extended the need to service the main filter inside the airbox? A ballpark idea would be great!

• Administrators

That's plenty... It would even be easy to carry a bit of simple green and some recharge oil on a longer trip. That's an easy campsite service where the main filter isn't. We don't have a lot of dust here, but the sand is very, very fine. It finds it way into everything!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Got the BMC airfilter and Unifilter pre-filter installed. I didn't do the canisterectomy (removing the charcoal can) b/c it was getting late and dude, there is just too many sand particles hanging around my throttle bodies! I didn't feel comfy pulling off someone buried vacuum ports & hoses without it being much cleaner. I'm going to table that project for when I have more time. I did cotton swap the stepper motor. If you're in there, clean that puppy up. Mine wasn't too bad really.

BMC Airfilter

Looks/feels like a quality filter in terms of its construction. Supposedly it's OE on Ferrari, so it has to good, right? It's Ferrari red for sure! ;) It fits accurately on the bike and has a rubber seal against the airbox. It's also noticeably thinner than the OE filter. Will it filter as good? Not sure, but since I also installed the pre-filter, the sum of the two should be as good if not better than the single OE filter. It is oiled from the factory, but not wet/dripping like K&Ns I've used.

bmc_vs_stock_filter.png

bmc_vs_stock_filter_thickness.png

bmc_vs_stock_filter_installed.png

• Like 1

• Administrators

Unifilter Prefiter
The unifilter pre-filter was a lot easier to install w/ the airbox off the bike. I was in there changing the main air filter, so just not a lot more work. Spray a little WD-40 on the filter flange and it popped into place with just a little effort. Start one corner of the flange and work it in place.

My Tiger always wanted to be a unicorn.

unifilter_inside_unicorn.png

From the air box side. The spring inside the pre-filter is so that it doesn't collapse under intake suction.

unifilter_inside_airbox.png

Routing under the seat. Some guys put a plastic bag over the foam to keep its sticky oil from getting on surrounding surfaces. I didn't, but not a bad idea IMHO.

unifilter_inside_airbox_routing.png

The hardest part? Getting the intake boot out! Be patient it comes out. I had to squeeze it down with my fingers and use a pair of pliers to apply pulling force. Pull evenly while you work the boot out with the other hand.

intake_boot_snorkle.png

Because of our hot, humid, and wet summers, my time on the bike has been limited. But, these mods coupled with the Factory Triumph Arrow ECU tune and Yoshimura RS-4 slip on exhaust seems to make the Tiger happy. The engine revs faster & more willingly, with better throttle response. Some say the intake is louder, but with the RS-4 notes, I can't hear it if it's there. The Tiger has always pulled well up top and that's only been improved.

To clean the pre-filter, take off the seat & pillion, remove the plastic over over the ABS unit and pull the filter & flange out of the air box. Clean, re-oil, and re-seat the flange in the air box opening. I've not done this yet, so no idea how easy or difficult it will be. It's a little tight in this area. But with the amount of time it takes to get to the main filter, willing to give it a shot.

SPECIAL THANKS TO MY WIFE WHO DIDN'T BROW BEAT ME WHEN I ROLLED MY BIKE INTO THE FOYER TO ESCAPE THE FLORIDA SUMMER HEAT. 👍LOVE YOU HONEY!  :wub:

• 8 months later...