People are spending much less time on social media apps

• Administrators

This article confirms what we've been seeing now for awhile which is that people are spending less and less time using social media apps like Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, etc...

Most forums are down as well (except XLADV!) but I think these trends give us something to look forward too.

One other interesting fact not covered in this story is that most of the younger generation is not even on Facebook and never will be!  What does that say about all the big bike chatter there and where it will be in the future?  They're certainly welcome to come here!

I've said this before but Facebook has always annoyed the heck out of me.  It's a mile wide and an inch deep.  You take the time to post something interesting, in depth, something that is meaningful to you and like cotton candy it's gone almost in an instant, never to be seen again.

Facebook is also repetitive!  How many times are questions asked and answered, re-asked and re-answered?

There's another study showing 70% of Facebook users never read the story before commenting on it!

If you're like me then you prefer quality over quantity which is why there will always be a place for you here  👍

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting.

That's actually why I support Jupiter's Travellers. What Ted Simon had said about social media and devices had really put the hook in me so to speak. So that even if I'm not that guy doing the riding/writing as I don't have the time, inclination, stones, etc. I could still participate in something more meaningful than staring blankly at a glass screen. Every time I ride I try to notice something new or make myself more "available" towards my surroundings and indeed others as well. Motorcycles help with that in general as we are much more "into" the surroundings and can usually interact with them far quicker and more intimately than in a car. It makes you both mysterious and strangely vulnerable in a way.

I myself have about zero interest in Social media, more of a bother than anything else. Nice place to look up friends I suppose but as mine have all departed this earth or are into different things I don't have much use for it other than a place to dump bike photos.

• Like 1

I try to lower my time, in many ways facebook is the glue/calendar that notifies my riding buddies of when/where we are meeting etc. 

Asside from that the 1inch deep thing applies, and people spout lots of stuff for discussion, but don't even listen to conflicting view points.from people that I am regular friends with.  Kinda frustrating way to lose friends to conflicting viewpoints.