Rider Found Dead in Death Valley

• Administrators

web.jpg

Story

On Thursday, park visitors found a man dead on Harry Wade Road, a remote, 30-mile dirt track that runs into the south end of Death Valley from California Route 127.

The man’s name and age were not released. His motorcycle was parked nearby, upright and in working condition.

His death is under investigation by the Inyo County Sheriff’s Office, though heat may have been a factor. Thursday’s high was 118 degrees at the park’s official weather station in Furnace Creek

Very tragic but avoidable.  Valuable lesson here for others.

I haven't done Harry Wade road (yet) but a friend of mine did it on a big bike and said it was quite sandy.  Conditions are known to change season to season too.  I'm super reluctant to ride solo on terrain I haven't ridden before.

He could have also had a SPOT device.  I carry one and also have their Global Phone.

His choice to ride in these types of temperatures was probably the biggest of his mistakes.

Then there's this about rescue helicopters:

“There are days when it’s too hot for a helicopter to get out there,” Wines said. “If it’s extremely hot, life flight won’t come.”

I pray for his family and friends.

• Administrators

I have driven it many times and it can be done on a big bike but can be very sandy in parts, I have done it alone but who knows what happened?

I called Shoshone campground and Tecopa Springs but neither of them have heard anything.  I think once the coroner makes a report we'll here a follow up in one of the papers out there.  My guess would be the heat did him in.  I have a feeling one of us knows this rider.  We'll find out in time.

I recall some post somewhere that read (To the best of my memory) regarding riding the Baja.

Ride 1 equals None,

Ride 2 equals 1.

In other words the Lesson Learned is riding alone in remote places can be dangerous and there is no substitute for being prepared. Sad news.

Stay Safe.

• Like 1

From the web:

LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL

A German man found dead along a remote road in Death Valley National Park on June 9 was overcome by the heat, according to the coroner in Inyo County, Calif.

Reinhard Egger, 60, died from hypothermia because of exposure to extreme heat, said Carma Roper, spokeswoman for the Inyo County Sheriff’s Office.

It is believed Egger may have been dead for one or two days before his body was discovered near his motorcycle, which was parked upright and in working condition on Harry Wade Road, a dirt track at the southern end of the 3.4 million-acre park.

Death Valley’s official weather station in Furnace Creek, California, about 125 miles west of Las Vegas, recorded a high temperature of 118 degrees on the day the man was found.

The high at Furnace Creek was expected to hit 124 Monday and Tuesday and 121 Wednesday, according to the National Weather Service.

The man’s death and two other recent incidents in remote parts of the park prompted a warning from the National Park Service about the dangers of off-highway travel in extreme heat.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I live in the heat conditions mentioned.  This is pretty much my winter.  I occasionally (like today) ride my bike to work 3 miles.  

I have taken my bike for longer rides in the desert with 100+ heat you just cook.  The sun cooks you, the bike cooks your legs.  Riding through miles of sand without an IV pole and saline directly in your blood stream would be brutal.  

RIP  Mr. Egger.