A little buying help

Hello again from staging area.

I'm looking to add an Adv/Touring bike.

To justify this financially and mentally I'd like to use this bike as a commuter (80 miles round trip all freeway per day).

I'm not looking to get gnarly off road, but handle graded gravel and some trails possibly.

My quick research so far has pointed in the direction of V Stroms, Versys, maybe Tiger 800.

I'm a decent sized guy 6'2" 230lbs, so I'm looking in the 1000cc range.

Any experience or input is appreciated.

• Like 2

I think your on the right track. I would say the versys I think is a little more street then the other two. I'm sure it can handle most light off road. The other two (if they are newer models) are pretty good for both. Both have a good aftermarket range of parts and upgrades. My recommendation is to ride both for a decent amount of miles to get a better feel of how they handle and perform. People can give you an idea of what they like. I have ridden both and liked the dl1000 and the tiger. I ended up with the tiger because the seller came down on price. Just my two cents.

• Like 2

• Administrators

I have a 13 Tiger 800XC. With the stock tires, awesome on the pavement and plenty capable on dirt roads or even off-road if you have good throttle control, you're "gingerly" on your line changes, and know how to pick your lines. Spoon on some knobbies and it's a hoot off-road w/o killing use on the road. I can't say that I have any real whines about my Tiger save a tranny part that failed, fixed under warranty, and Triumph has updated the part that failed. So, I expect it to be a non-issue. I'm a long time dirt bike guy, so used to riding technical terrain and honestly, the Tiger does pretty well, even when the pace is pretty brisk. The seat is comfy and the engine is great for the road. Of the three bikes listed, the Tiger is very much the best at doing street and dirt well.

• Like 1

• Administrators

The Honda Africa Twin will fit in there too.  I have a BMW F800GSA and it will easily do the commuting too.  Honestly, any of the liter or close to liter adventure bikes will do what you need.  Which one do you like best??

I've seen guys on Vstrom 650s with mostly street tires rockin' in the dirt very, very well. I've seen guys with decked out F800GS that could barely make it down a sugar sand road. So, there's a lot of wisdom in your post. NONE of the bikes he mentioned suck and all of them will eat up tarmac and get most riders down any dirt/gravel road and even some decent trails if their skills are up for the task. Hard to go wrong, so pick what makes your heart go boom boom! 👍

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Although I don't own one, I was giving the Tiger 800 serious consideration before opting for a KTM ADV. Liked that a 21 inch front rim was available as well as the performance of the triple with chain drive.Friend of mine rented a 1250? Tiger while in Vegas and came away impressed even shod with street tires on it.Like others have said try to ride each if you can and give us an update.

• Like 1

Just to be different, look at the Moto Guzzi Stelvio.  Stock it comes with EVERYTHING. They are very easy to work on, last for three or four centuries, and have virtually no mechanical issues.  A work of caution though. If you ride it 20 miles you will never buy one.  Ride it 100 miles and you will never sell it.

WP 20160410 001

WP 20160510 004

Edited by Mooney78865
  • Like 3

As everyone has said the bikes you are looking at will all do what you want. Some are better are certain parts than others. its always a compromise. I ride a suzuki vstrom 650 adventure and it fits my short legs and small stature. I didn't need the 1000. This one even loaded with my chub and 150 pounds of camping and fishing gear will still go faster than I am willing to go. Consider dealer availability for parts and service. There are big differences in what it costs to maintain some of the bikes you are looking at. look at gas mileage differences as well. It is nice to be able to get 50 miles to a gallon without really working at it. Look at available add ons because half the fun is customizing it to fit your style and purpose. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty late to the thread, boredom got the best of me I guess. I picked up a 2012 WeeStrom about 2 years ago for $5,500.00 and put 20,000 miles on it, that bike never hiccuped and for what your talking about would be fine. I was in the 1% of the riders that the review guys all say most riders will never use that bike for and definitely put it through TOTAL HELL. The biggest downside on the VStrom is that its very prone to bottom outs due to its IMO sub-standard suspension that will cause damage if you push it, even with a skid-plate (trust me I know). That being said, I would hope one day down the road you'll want to ride in something somewhat rougher (maybe that trail you mentioned) and for that reason alone I'd opt for the more off-road capable Tiger out of your choices. 

What did you wind up with? 

Edited by Rooster72
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to be different, look at the Moto Guzzi Stelvio.  Stock it comes with EVERYTHING. They are very easy to work on, last for three or four centuries, and have virtually no mechanical issues.  A work of caution though. If you ride it 20 miles you will never buy one.  Ride it 100 miles and you will never sell it.

Sorry Mooney if I sound like a jerk, but that's a Stelvio NTX. That's the model that comes with everything (except the topcase, available as optional, along with heated grips).

The NTX features crash bars, skidplate, fog lights, handguards, aluminium panniers by SW-Motech, a bigger windscreen, and most importantly, wired-rims.

Other than that, I can agree 100% with what you said. My father owns a '11 Stelvio NTX, lava-black, 90°th Anniversary edition, and, I'm literally quoting him "I'm never gonna sell this thing".

Gotta admit I love that bike as well. PERFECT tourer, huge fuel range (32lts), decent fuel consumption (avg 15km/L), supersuper comfortble for long trips... as I said in another post, In my opinion it's one of the most underrated bikes EVER.

CrkcBVPXgAAo-27.jpg

From saturday morning's trip. My soon to be sold S10, and dad's NTX.

Also, about the Kawasaki Versys, I've made a video about it:

And also one about the Guzzi Stelvio!

Edited by PierreADV
  • Like 1

Sorry Mooney if I sound like a jerk, but that's a Stelvio NTX. That's the model that comes with everything (except the topcase, available as optional, along with heated grips).

The NTX features crash bars, skidplate, fog lights, handguards, aluminium panniers by SW-Motech, a bigger windscreen, and most importantly, wired-rims.

Other than that, I can agree 100% with what you said. My father owns a '11 Stelvio NTX, lava-black, 90°th Anniversary edition, and, I'm literally quoting him "I'm never gonna sell this thing".

Gotta admit I love that bike as well. PERFECT tourer, huge fuel range (32lts), decent fuel consumption (avg 15km/L), supersuper comfortble for long trips... as I said in another post, In my opinion it's one of the most underrated bikes EVER.

CrkcBVPXgAAo-27.jpg

You are correct I have the Stelvio NTX.  But you should have pointed out that the "standard" Stelvio is not available on this side of the pond.....

• Like 1

• Administrators

CrkcBVPXgAAo-27.jpg

You are correct I have the Stelvio NTX.  But you should have pointed out that the "standard" Stelvio is not available on this side of the pond.....

I've not ridden the Versys, but I sat on one and honestly, it felt really nice ergonomically. I thought that the riding position was good; very upright and not a big feeling bike. I'd' have to agree that it's a good n00b adv tourer. Used in the US, all day long in the 4 to 5k price range and not beat or high mileage. The looks are goofy and the front end on the early models is butt ugly. Still has a place for sure and very reliable I understand.

20150207_082335_zps17b063e9.jpeg

• Like 2