Stickers on your bike, thoughts?

Hey so what's everyone's thoughts on stickers on the bike? 

When I was a wee lad I was like every other grubby district 37 rat and plastered them on every surface. I think I even resorted to using them on the undersides of broken plastic to help try to hold it together for the weekend. Tool boxes, trailers, the truck and everything else were slathered under a generous layer of vinyl with no thought at all for what products they pushed or if I in fact used them.

Now I have a slightly more stringent criteria. The only sticker that is or shall adorn el Superbeasto is a discreet Zappa moustache on my rear fender extension and the smallest AMA sticker on my front fairing. Now my panniers are a different item altogether. My only bugaboo there is that I have to personally run the products that I'm advertising otherwise I'm going to feel like a free advertising chump. Plus God forbid anyone should ask me a question regarding said items and I not have the faintest idea what to tell them as I'm just running those Alpinestars stickers to fit in. In our case substitute "Klim" or "Touratech" for big vinyl bragging rights.

My theory is that those guys should have to earn the right to be represented on my motorcycle as I'm not going to run stickers to just fit in. If I use the product or find it helpful I might put stickers on but mostly I run stuff that isn't commercial which is why I just ordered up some XLADV "Beyond Starbucks"stickers where they will join my "Ted Simon Foundation" stickers. My other bike has ADV, Baja Designs, Hannah Racing and Honda Racing stickers and is a proper dirt bike by appearance but the Tiger is too pretty for that. 

So what's your thoughts, everyone? Stickers all over, some stickers or none at all? And do you have fetishes like I do about removing them so you agonize about where you actually place it?

• Like 1

• Administrators

That's a great question!

It's a very Starbucks-relevant question because I do think a lot of us are quick to put stickers on a new bike so it looks like we're not such a noob or like you say to fit in.  Some say "stickers make it go faster!" I certainly did that and then later on kind of laughed at some of the stickers I put on at first so I took some of them off.

On the other hand I think it's very interesting how people put different stickers on and they kind of tell a story of where that person has been on their bike.

I sold my GSA recently and it was admittedly a tough thing to see all my BDR, Taste of Dakar, Coco's Corner, Bolivia, etc... stickers from over the years ride off into the sunset, never to be seen again.

The #xladvproject990 bike is obviously one big sticker but that was by design to be a rolling billboard for the site and for the sponsors who helped make the bike happen.  Since then I've added these:  Lost for a Reason (charity), Baja Rally, LAB2V, IDBDR, Cyclops, Motoz, Vee Rubber, Icon Raiden, KTM Adventure Rally.

Personally l not only really like stickers but I also collect them (as they show up or are given to me).  They are just sitting and will eventually end up on a panel/wall in my garage I can relocate when I move.  On my bike I've got a few that reflect who I am and what I like.  I will be putting others on that have provided sponsorship and such but that's about it.  I agree they need to be earned

• Like 2

Panniers collect stickers of places I've been.  Other than that they are super far apart, I don't put stickers on for anything I don't use/support.  Even if I use the product I am unlikely to advertise for them without good cause.

• Like 1

My KLR is ugly to begin with so covering it with stickers from places products or people that give me entertainment does not bother me. However when I get my next bike it will not get the sticker treatment. I will leave that to the panniers. 0ffc77093f257a04df248cc6a7089146.jpg0246b073459d8389b2cc2f511fb7c153.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been all over the place on this topic, I think a few are ok. I currently don't have any and stripped the ones the last owner had put on. I felt weird that they weren't mine. Now my dirt bike graphics look like a Team Honda factory bike, go figure.

• Like 1

That's a great question!

It's a very Starbucks-relevant question because I do think a lot of us are quick to put stickers on a new bike so it looks like we're not such a noob or like you say to fit in.  Some say "stickers make it go faster!" I certainly did that and then later on kind of laughed at some of the stickers I put on at first so I took some of them off.

On the other hand I think it's very interesting how people put different stickers on and they kind of tell a story of where that person has been on their bike.

I sold my GSA recently and it was admittedly a tough thing to see all my BDR, Taste of Dakar, Coco's Corner, Bolivia, etc... stickers from over the years ride off into the sunset, never to be seen again.

The #xladvproject990 bike is obviously one big sticker but that was by design to be a rolling billboard for the site and for the sponsors who helped make the bike happen.  Since then I've added these:  Lost for a Reason (charity), Baja Rally, LAB2V, IDBDR, Cyclops, Motoz, Vee Rubber, Icon Raiden, KTM Adventure Rally.

I lost count of how many stickers I've put on while I was drinking beers and then peeled them off in the morning!! 

• Like 2

Got artist in every country we travelled to paint on my bike. Just could not get somebody in the USA to paint on my bike. Mexico is next :D
Some stickers are okay though, if it makes you happy and you think it makes your bike looks sexy then go for it.   👍  ;)

i-w3qJrQQ-L.jpg

i-f5K3Chr-L.jpg

i-RsLSKsq-L.jpg

i-pNmNT7G-L.jpg

Edited by michnus
  • Like 1

Stickers!

Anyone that rides with me knows that if I disappear at a rest stop its to find stickers. To me, stickers are a huge part of my journey which represent the experience, pride, and accomplishment of traveling to new places.

Back in 2015 for my FL - Cabot Trail, Nova Scotia ride I probably spent too much on them.....Yeah I did, good thing it's only money. 

STICKERS!

Stickers!

Anyone that rides with me knows that if I disappear at a rest stop its to find stickers. To me, stickers are a huge part of my journey which represent the experience, pride, and accomplishment of traveling to new places.

Back in 2015 for my FL - Cabot Trail, Nova Scotia ride I probably spent too much on them.....Yeah I did, good thing it's only money.

But where do you stick'em?