Riding the AZBDR on a 2016 Moto Guzzi Stelvio

14 hours ago, Numbercruncher said:

I am considering this bike.  Any issues with light off-roading and a dry clutch?  I figure clutch slipping is not ideal but that won't matter whether you are in stop and go traffic on pavement or off road riding.  I won't take a big heavy ADV bike on trails where there is very much 5 mph constant clutch slipping to keep the bikes forward momentum.  That is what a Beta Dual Sport is for.  I think most BDR's are not real heavy duty off-road and probably ideal for an ADV bike whereas a dual sport bike won't even be challenged.

And for the OP, which soft bag are you running for your top case/bag?  I don't like the looks of the really tall, square top cases and also think the attachment allows them to move around too much.  I'd feel safer lashing down a couple dry bags like it appears you have done.

NC

I haven't had any issues with the bike at all.  The clutch seems to be built proof.  I have had mine so hot it smelled like an 18 wheeler coming down Donner Summit riding the brakes!  The only thing that I noticed doing the COBDR was the rear brakes seemed to take more lever when I was above 10,000 feet or so.  Other wise, the NTX has been absolutely as reliable as an anvil.  Never an issue.

You are correct, it is an Adventure bike, big, heavy and not as capable as a dual sport.  Although I don't know to many dual sports that will run down the freeway at 80+ mph loaded.  Each has their purpose.  As for the duffel I use on the back, it's a bag offered from KTM, pretty much like a Wolfman...

• Like 1

On 11/13/2017 at 8:57 AM, Mooney78865 said:

I haven't had any issues with the bike at all.  The clutch seems to be built proof.  I have had mine so hot it smelled like an 18 wheeler coming down Donner Summit riding the brakes!  The only thing that I noticed doing the COBDR was the rear brakes seemed to take more lever when I was above 10,000 feet or so.  Other wise, the NTX has been absolutely as reliable as an anvil.  Never an issue.

You are correct, it is an Adventure bike, big, heavy and not as capable as a dual sport.  Although I don't know to many dual sports that will run down the freeway at 80+ mph loaded.  Each has their purpose.  As for the duffel I use on the back, it's a bag offered from KTM, pretty much like a Wolfman...

Thanks.

Just want to make sure my dual sport comparison didn't come off wrong.  I don't expect a 500+ pound ADV bike to perform as well in tight single track as a 450 Enduro bike, but that Enduro bike won't eat up the miles like a Stelvio will either.  

NC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Numbercruncher said:

Thanks.

Just want to make sure my dual sport comparison didn't come off wrong.  I don't expect a 500+ pound ADV bike to perform as well in tight single track as a 450 Enduro bike, but that Enduro bike won't eat up the miles like a Stelvio will either.  

NC

You didn’t! It’s an apples an oranges thing. Most folks get it.

• Like 2